Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-13-2010, 03:39 PM   #1
Archon
Zealot
Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Mac OSX, iPad, iPod, & Nook
Need Help with Searching and Sorting

Hey all,

I searched around a little but can't find an answer to my question.

In Calibre I have created a custom column called "Length". In it I store "Novel", "Novelette", "Novella", or "Short Story". Works great for sorting.

However, when I do an advanced search to eliminate other lengths with the following:
#length:"Short Story" - finds all the short stories
#length:"novella" - works great only finds novellas
#length:"novelette" - works great only finds novelettes
#length:"novel" - this one finds novels, novellas, and novelettes

It seems the search acts as a <find everything that contains "novel"> instead of <find everything that is an exact match of "novel">.

So I do a regular search with
=Novel
and it finds all the novels. Woohoo! Likewise =Novella, =Novelette.

However, =Short story gives me nothing. :-(
No joy in Mudville.

I guess I can use #length:"Short Story" and =Novel but when I don't know how something works I must haves it.
So...
Does anyone know how to get Calibre to do an exact match search on a custom column when doing an advanced search (e.g. #length:"novel") ?

And does anyone know how to get Calibre to ignore the space in the data in a custom column when doing a regular search (e.g. =Short story) ?

I have tried using all kinds of wild card characters like \ and * but no joy.
I am sure it is simple to those who do DB searches all the time but that would not be me.

TIA for constructive advice.
Archon
Archon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 03:55 PM   #2
Archon
Zealot
Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Just a follow up. I tried the pull down box in the advanced search. The one that says what kind of match to use. It doesn't work and it doesn't stay on "Equals: the word or phrase must match the entire metadata field"
Advert
Old 12-13-2010, 04:04 PM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
When you say 'advanced search', do you mean the title/author/series tab in advanced search dialog? A bit of experimentation shows that the search type combo box isn't used correctly there. I will look at it more tomorrow.

The way to express exact match searches using your examples is #length:"=novel" and #length:"=Short Story".

You can use the tags browser (left hand pane) to generate search terms. For example, expand the tags section (click the little triangle), then click on a tag to search for that tag. Click it again to search for everything but that tag. Hold the shift key and click multiple tags to search for more than one thing.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 04:16 PM   #4
Archon
Zealot

Yes the title/author/series tab.

Ahhh yes see I knew it was something easy but my little rat brain was not getting it.
The equals sign INSIDE the quotes. So simple.
Thanks for the quick reply and excellent help.
That was nattering at me.

Yes, I like the tag browser but I made custom columns for whether I have read it or not, length of story, Nebula award, Hugo award, and the award year so I can group them easier.

Thanks again for the help.
Archon
Old 12-13-2010, 04:23 PM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon View Post
Yes, I like the tag browser but I made custom columns for whether I have read it or not, length of story, Nebula award, Hugo award, and the award year so I can group them easier.
You can use the tags pane to search custom columns as well. That is what I do. I almost never search tags.

Also, build up a library of your favorite searches. This will save you a lot of time.

And you are welcome.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2010, 04:42 PM   #6
Archon
Zealot

Oh wow! I never looked over there but the columns I created for "length" and "my rating" are in the tag browser so that makes things faster. I had other stuff expanded and didn't see them there.
Excellent.

Tags
calibre, expression, search, searching, sorting