Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-05-2013, 06:30 AM   #1
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
To be honest: I'm so tired of it

This rant may be viewed as sort of a whine on an eBook/eReader forum, but I jus thave to say it to get it out of my system.

WHY, OH GOD WHY?!

Why is *everything* that has only the slightest bit to do with digitalization or computers so *incredibly* .... ..... and riddled with the most idiotic errors ever?!

I'm still hitting the same snags as in 2007 when reading eBooks. Bad covers. Bad formatting. Incorrect Table of contents. Wrong tags. Why do I need to fix paragraph indentation, tags, table of contents or layout in an official ePUB book I've just bought?

Seriously. eBooks have been around for years. Sometimes I have a feeling that publishers run their text through an automatic eBookifization-program, stick a cover on the front and put it into stores for anywhere between €2 and €20. And DRM on top of that, with many of them. Some books are not even *worth* sharing. How can anybody take work seriously when it's often carried out so sloppily?

I've deleted 10 books from my Kobo library yesterday; all free ones, granted. I'll make them myself, using the Gutenberg text (edit: or get them here at MR). I've written school reports in LaTeX that looked more professional than some eBooks I've bought (free, and for prices between €2 and €7.50 or so) in the last few days.

Sometimes I wish I've never (re)started to use eReaders and think I should have just replaced all my pockets with hardbacks so I don't have to worry about anything. Not about readability, layout, or usability in the future.

Blergh.

Rant over.

Last edited by Katsunami; 02-05-2013 at 08:54 AM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:04 AM   #2
ballfresno
Addict
ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (Sage, Aura One, Aura HD, & Touch); reMarkable tablet.
I couldn't have said it better. It is quite surprising to see such badly formatted books and such poor use of formatting in the first place.
ballfresno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:08 AM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Sometimes I have a feeling that publishers run their text through an automatic eBookifization-program, stick a cover on the front and put it into stores for anywhere between €2 and €20.
Sometimes??
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:18 AM   #4
m00min
Connoisseur
m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad / NST / Kobo
I couldn't agree more. No ebook gets loaded onto my reader without first exploding it in Calibre, ripping out the crappy CSS and replacing it with something sane. My bugbear is seeing italic and bold text marked up with spans. It's not semantic, it's lazy.

Books with missing scene gaps, missing italics (not even done in the aforementioned lazy way), hard coded hyphenation. Really, it's enough to make me pirate on principle. Almost.
m00min is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:30 AM   #5
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
I would add the bad spell-checking to the list. I mean, I do make a lot of mistakes in English (that I'm not aware of), so if *I* can spot mistakes in a book, then the job's not done properly
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:01 AM   #6
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00min View Post
I couldn't agree more. No ebook gets loaded onto my reader without first exploding it in Calibre, ripping out the crappy CSS and replacing it with something sane. My bugbear is seeing italic and bold text marked up with spans. It's not semantic, it's lazy.

Books with missing scene gaps, missing italics (not even done in the aforementioned lazy way), hard coded hyphenation. Really, it's enough to make me pirate on principle. Almost.
I feel exactly the same way. I do the same; first I'll open a book in Sigil and see how it looks, and check the tags with EPUBMetaDataEditor. Then I start fixing stuff where necessary. Because of Sigil (and knowing XHTML, CSS, and so on) I only ever buy books in EPUB-format if I can.

You know? Some publishers actually use Calibre to create their EPUBs. I don't know what their source format is, but in some books I've bought, I see Calibre's automated style sheet using the ".calibre" classes. Some of these books can't even be sanely deciphered.

I have actually been thinking to export a book into a plain TXT-file, and then create my own EPUB out of it in Sigil. Then I will have a perfect eBook in the end, but who has the time to do it? It can take hours for a long book, especially when you have to put things such italics back in there.

You know.... I PAY for a book so I DON'T have to do that.

I've got a few books I've "found" on the internet. The text is very good, but the formatting was bad. It took me an hour or two per book to fix each of them. With these books, I don't mind, because they were never offered in any eBook format. How they got to float on the net as EPUB (scanned? typed over?) I don't know.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:39 AM   #7
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Inconsistency is annoying, too. I've been reading a series, via the library, and all the books in the series are from the same publisher. Most of them have been in good shape, with a few rare typos. But one book in the middle of the series had a lot of typos, new paragraphs started in the middle of a sentence, etc.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:58 AM   #8
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
You know.... I PAY for a book so I DON'T have to do that.
Not only that, but think of the time it would take away from reading. I only recently (since joining MR) learned of Sigil and have been tempted to learn what it's about so I can repair some much loved ebooks. But...that would cut into the time I set aside for reading, which is precious to me.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:11 AM   #9
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

If you know (X)HTML and CSS, then Sigil is not very difficult. In that case, it's actually very easy to learn. You could grab a short text from Gutenberg. Create an EPUB out of it with Sigil; then it will be only one file. Split it up (chapters are nice split points obviously, as are parts of a book), mark the chapter headings so they can be added to the table of contents, write a small stylesheet (it really doesn't need to be very big). Put tags and a cover in with EPUBMetaDataEditor, and then post the book into the MobileRead Library.

You've now learned (the basics of) Sigil and eBook creation.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:40 PM   #10
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
The thing about tidying up ebooks is that I don't want to do it before I've read them in case I accidentally spoil myself, and after I've read them unless I think I'll re-read it a lot it's not worth my time.

The main time I edit ebooks is to split up collections into individual books. Once I did it to remove the "free preview" chapter of the author's next novel so that my kindle would say 100% when I'd finished the book and not 78%. Not even sure if I'd do that again
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:54 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I usually have a quick go at fixing the formatting and then I can read.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:55 PM   #12
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
The thing about tidying up ebooks is that I don't want to do it before I've read them in case I accidentally spoil myself, and after I've read them unless I think I'll re-read it a lot it's not worth my time.

The main time I edit ebooks is to split up collections into individual books. Once I did it to remove the "free preview" chapter of the author's next novel so that my kindle would say 100% when I'd finished the book and not 78%. Not even sure if I'd do that again
That's some preview chapter.... or it was a very short book
Old 02-05-2013, 12:59 PM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I'm not that picky, I guess. I'll only "fix" the most egregious formatting problems (ridiculous margins or ugly-ass fonts or something). Coverart, metadata, paragraph indenting/spacing/justification... doesn't trip me up at all. I won't create a book like that, but I'll read the hell out of one with no problem. I used to try and fix them first, but I didn't get anything done except fixing ebooks--no time for reading.

Errors?? Too many errors and I ask for a refund. Plain and simple. Otherwise... life's too short to spend a lot of time prettying something up I'm only likely to read once anyway.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:03 PM   #14
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Errors?? Too many errors and I ask for a refund. Plain and simple. Otherwise... life's too short to spend a lot of time prettying something up I'm only likely to read once anyway.
That's the problem: If I buy something, I don't intend to use it only once. I do not own a book that i don't have read twice. At least. Same with games and movies.

Therefore I don't own a lot of stuff.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:59 PM   #15
morriss003
Evangelist
morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I feel your pain, but I'm a lot more irritated by crappy writing than by crappy formatting.
morriss003 is offline   Reply With Quote