Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-16-2009, 12:46 AM   #1
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Beginner's Sci Fi recommendations please.

Hi,
I'd like to ease myself into the sci fi/fantasy genre, which is one I've never explored. I would be grateful for "starter" recommendations. I'm interested in mythical and fantasy history (Arthur, pre-Christian era etc) but haven't read much of this ilk, except the Mary Stewart Arthur trilogy and Auel's first three books.

Something likely to be found legally free would be great.

I have two main reasons for this new interest.
1. So many creative commons books are of this genre;
2. I can't help feeling I'm missing something.

BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 01:12 AM   #2
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Basics to Sci-fi... I'd suggest Asimov's "I, Robot" series. Not free, but amazing and a good place to start.

As for free.. Cory Doctorow's works are great and all available for free from his website.

As for fantasy... I started with David Eddings books and still have a soft spot for them in my heart - they're just great fun.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2009, 02:12 AM   #3
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Nineteen Eighty-Four by Orwell is a classic, and available in the MR e-books forum.

I'm not a fantasy fan so I can't help you there.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 02:20 AM   #4
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I've only read two "high fantasy" series - the Thomas Covenant series by Stephen R Donaldson (loved the first trilogy, wished I'd not read the second one) and Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. I really got hooked on the first books in the WOT series, but that series bogged down in a major way. I stopped reading about book 8 or 9.

Most of my "fantasy" is urban fantasy (werewolves, vampires, fae) - if you have any interest at all in that, Patricia Briggs is my absolute favorite. She does more typical fantasy, too, which is in my TBR pile, but I haven't read any yet.

My science fiction tastes are more along the line of science fiction romance, although not all of it.

I like Kristine Kathryn Rusch's Retrieval Artist series (it's really a police procedural set on the moon). I enjoy Linnea Sinclair's space operas (which are also romances, although some are stronger than others). I think she excels at the strong, yet "spunky" heroine.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 02:24 AM   #5
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
good places to start are

Enders Game by Orson Scott Card
Heinleins Juveniles http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heinlein_juveniles
Old Mans War by John Scalzi
Arthur C clarks Childhoods end and Rendezvous with Rama

all those books should wet your taste for more. all are considered classics, besides Scalzi which is Contemorary, but he is a great new author, who is a pleasure to read. I think he's got 6 or 7 books out, 4 of them from the old mans war series (all but the last one are self contained and don't require reading any of the other ones. the 4th one takes place from another characters POV from book 3)
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2009, 04:09 AM   #6
weateallthepies
Lord of the Pies
weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Sage, Onyx Boox Leaf 2, iPad Pro
I'd start with short fiction, that's where the genre really took off and is still often where you find the great ideas.

Plenty of free stuff online but maybe read one of the magazines, Clarkesworld is worth a look or Strange Horizons.

You can find loads of classic short stories at Feedbooks too.
weateallthepies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 04:11 AM   #7
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for all the recommendations so far. I would be really grateful for books I can obtain freely. For example, Patricia Briggs looks great, Fizzy, but lack of money - I spend so much on cat food - means I stick to creative commons, PD, and freebies from Sony etc. I think the price of ebooks needs to fall (no printing etc), but that's another topic.

PS we cross-posted, weateallthepies.

Last edited by BookCat; 08-16-2009 at 04:15 AM.
Old 08-16-2009, 04:37 AM   #8
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
There is the John Carter of Mars series in the library here at MB - Look for "Burroughs, Edgar Rice: Barsoom Omnibus, v3, 29th July 2009". Also some of Burrough's Pellucidar novels and Harry Harrison's Deathworld and some books by Charles de Lint, Clifford Simak, Murray Leinster and others. You look up those authors and see their books by series here - http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/b/...ice-burroughs/ That's Burroughs for example.

Also the Baen free library has a number of free science fiction books - http://www.baen.com/library/
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 04:44 AM   #9
weateallthepies
Lord of the Pies
weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Sage, Onyx Boox Leaf 2, iPad Pro
Oh I forgot http://www.freesfonline.de/ which is definitly worth checking for lots of free SF. You can't go far wrong with their recommended stories.
weateallthepies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 04:50 AM   #10
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Search for "Amazing Stories" in the MR e-books forum; there are several volumes uploaded. You can also find several HG Wells stories, including The Invisible Man.

You can also find several sci fi and fantasy books free at Fictionwise and/or the Sony store. I've downloaded quite a few but I'm not sure which ones are currently free.

Exhalation by Ted Chiang is available free; check the thread on the 2009 Hugo Award Winners for the link.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 06:21 AM   #11
BookCat
C L J

Thanks; I'm copying and pasting all replies into Word for later reference, and have downloaded some already, including the massive Burroughs series. Strange, but that was recommended by a friend recently.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:07 AM   #12
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
For starters you should begin with something really good.
Dune by Frank Herbert
Gateway by Frederik Pohl

Free:
Blindsight by Peter Watts
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 10:12 AM   #13
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Try Piper, H. Beam: Little Fuzzy v3 2008-03-20, and I second wayspooled's recommendation of Harrison, Harry: Deathworld v1 17 mar 2009.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 11:23 AM   #14
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
I want to repeat wayspooled's recommendations. Go check out the Baen free library. www.baen.com/library

It has both fantasy and science fiction. Baen is a leading publisher in the field that gives away many books as a move to gain publicity. In my opinion, they are the top source for modern era free books.

You will also find many free books on http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page and here on Mobileread. Most of these are 'classics' that were written before 1923. Quite a few folks really enjoy them, but for me they usually aren't to my taste. One exception would be the novels by Andre Norton. Type "Norton, Andre" into the Mobileread search box and you should find a couple books by her.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 01:02 PM   #15
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Hi,
I'd like to ease myself into the sci fi/fantasy genre, which is one I've never explored. I would be grateful for "starter" recommendations. I'm interested in mythical and fantasy history (Arthur, pre-Christian era etc) but haven't read much of this ilk, except the Mary Stewart Arthur trilogy and Auel's first three books.

Something likely to be found legally free would be great.

I have two main reasons for this new interest.
1. So many creative commons books are of this genre;
2. I can't help feeling I'm missing something.

I think you would like to read Stephen Lawhead's books. Julliet Marilier might be another one you'd like.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy books, recommendation, sci-fi