Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 02:13 AM   #1
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Free/Bargain Science Fiction & Fantasy in April 2014

A thread for April.

We point out free and bargain SF/Fantasy titles to each other. Please don't post any self-published books*, and please do a search before posting to avoid duplicates.

Be aware that many freebies are only free for a day, so grab them fast!

*Unless you have read them yourself, think they are excellent, and you're not connected to the author in any way.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:09 AM   #2
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
In the now-closed March thread, GeoffR posted:

The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss, book two of the Kingkiller Chronicle, is £1.49 at UK retailers.

(There's a link in the original, but I was unable to quote it properly since the thread is closed, and I'm too lazy to put it back.)

This seems to be listed as one of April's Monthly Deals at Amazon UK, along with the great Hugo-winning Among Others by Jo Walton, and the already-owned-by-me-but-not-read Anathem by Neal Stephenson, both for 99p. Which they have been before, I'm pretty sure.
Advert
Old 04-01-2014, 01:18 PM   #3
stutzj
Zealot
stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, PW2, Kindle 5(black)
Theft of Swords by Michael Sullivan seems to have dropped to $4.99. Last time I checked it was 8.99. It was enough to convince me to buy and I've been enjoying it a lot. Well written, fun and reminds me a lot of the Fafhrd and Mouser series. A nice alternative to super epic fantasy.

http://www.amazon.com/Theft-Swords-R...heft+of+swords
Old 04-01-2014, 02:04 PM   #4
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by stutzj View Post
Theft of Swords by Michael Sullivan seems to have dropped to $4.99. Last time I checked it was 8.99. It was enough to convince me to buy and I've been enjoying it a lot. Well written, fun and reminds me a lot of the Fafhrd and Mouser series. A nice alternative to super epic fantasy.

http://www.amazon.com/Theft-Swords-R...heft+of+swords
Yes, Michael J. Sullivan is wonderful. Buy, buy, buy!
Old 04-01-2014, 03:14 PM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
The Phoenix Pick free ebook this month is Reboots by Mercedes Lackey and Cody Martin.

They're also offering the sequel (came out just last month) for just $1.99.
Advert
Old 04-01-2014, 03:58 PM   #6
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba
Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Many Android devices, Kindle 2, Toshiba e755 PocketPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
The Phoenix Pick free ebook this month is Reboots by Mercedes Lackey and Cody Martin.

They're also offering the sequel (came out just last month) for just $1.99.
They've changed the way their free books work. I was confused for a minute until I checked my email and read the newsletter.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:04 PM   #7
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Difflugia View Post
They've changed the way their free books work. I was confused for a minute until I checked my email and read the newsletter.
It works, just adds a tad of a layer, to us that have gotten lazy!

HeHeHe..

Looks like a new mailing list also that needs to be joined!
Old 04-02-2014, 08:51 PM   #8
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I'm probably preaching to the converted, but Gutenberg has a ton of free scifi in multiple formats. Anyway, figured it was worth a reminder.
http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Scienc...ion_(Bookshelf) is the main Scifi link, and the authors are listed alphabetically. yes, there are lots of known, and even still living (eg Cory Doctorow who sells his books but also lets people have them for $0).
Old 04-04-2014, 03:34 AM   #9
PressEnter
PressEnter is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony Reader
Gary Gibson

Hard SF writer Gary Gibson's books are all way down in price, in the UK at least. His "Marauder" just dropped to £1.59. A lot of his other books look like they're at a similar price level.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:08 AM   #10
jshoughton
Enthusiast
jshoughton can illuminate an eclipsejshoughton can illuminate an eclipsejshoughton can illuminate an eclipsejshoughton can illuminate an eclipsejshoughton can illuminate an eclipsejshoughton can illuminate an eclipsejshoughton can illuminate an eclipsejshoughton can illuminate an eclipsejshoughton can illuminate an eclipsejshoughton can illuminate an eclipsejshoughton can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Sony Reader Wifi (PRS-T1) & Nook Simple Touch
Great one for the UK, assume it's a promo for the run up to Season 4 starting next week!

A Game of Thrones: The Story Continues Books 1-5: A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings, A Storm of Swords, A Feast for Crows, A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire)

£7.99 (Down from £39.99)

The bundle includes:
A GAME OF THRONES
A CLASH OF KINGS
A STORM OF SWORDS, 1: STEEL AND SNOW
A STORM OF SWORDS, 2: BLOOD AND GOLD
A FEAST FOR CROWS
A DANCE WITH DRAGONS, 1: DREAMS AND DUST
A DANCE WITH DRAGONS, 2: AFTER THE FEAST
Preview chapter of THE WINDS OF WINTER

Kindle
Nook
Old 04-04-2014, 12:03 PM   #11
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I'm fairly tempted by that even though I already own all of them in paper or ebook. Some in both.

Edit: In fact, what the hell, I pulled the trigger. It doesn't affect my TBR, and means I can clear some shelf-space. Quite a bit of shelf-space.

Last edited by DrNefario; 04-04-2014 at 12:08 PM.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:07 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
I'm probably preaching to the converted, but Gutenberg has a ton of free scifi in multiple formats. Anyway, figured it was worth a reminder.
http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Scienc...ion_(Bookshelf) is the main Scifi link, and the authors are listed alphabetically. yes, there are lots of known, and even still living (eg Cory Doctorow who sells his books but also lets people have them for $0).
Be very careful with that link. An awful lot of the SF that's on PG is magazine stories whose copyright wasn't renewed in the US, but is still very much protected by copyright everywhere else.

As the PG site tells you: check the copyright status of a story in your own country before you download it.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:14 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshoughton View Post
Great one for the UK, assume it's a promo for the run up to Season 4 starting next week!

A Game of Thrones: The Story Continues Books 1-5: A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings, A Storm of Swords, A Feast for Crows, A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire)

£7.99 (Down from £39.99)

The bundle includes:
A GAME OF THRONES
A CLASH OF KINGS
A STORM OF SWORDS, 1: STEEL AND SNOW
A STORM OF SWORDS, 2: BLOOD AND GOLD
A FEAST FOR CROWS
A DANCE WITH DRAGONS, 1: DREAMS AND DUST
A DANCE WITH DRAGONS, 2: AFTER THE FEAST
Preview chapter of THE WINDS OF WINTER

Kindle
Nook
Thanks - another wonderful deal. That's over £100 of books bought for £18 today!
Old 04-04-2014, 01:52 PM   #14
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Free/Bargain Science Fiction & Fantasy in April 2014

Amazon UK only?
Old 04-04-2014, 03:33 PM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
Amazon UK only?
Looks like it. £39.99 at Kobo UK.
Closed Thread