Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-21-2012, 07:04 PM   #1
grayscale
grayscale began at the beginning.

Device: none
Calibre Portable 0.8.70

Before 0.8.70, I have pinned the shortcut to calibre-portable.exe on my taskbar.
When I updated to 0.8.70, it then opens up a different taskbar entry when clicked and points out to the calibre.exe on the Calibre folder. Is this a bug? because piining the calibre.exe and running it seem to reset my settings and library.
grayscale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:42 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You need to run calibre-portable.exe, not calibre.exe.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2012, 06:49 AM   #3
grayscale
grayscale began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You need to run calibre-portable.exe, not calibre.exe.
Yes, but how can I pin calibre-portable.exe on the taskbar without running a separate instance when clicked? (screenshot on my post above)
grayscale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:09 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I dont know, I'm not a windows user. Basically calibre-portable.exe starts calibre.exe and then quits. I dont know whether pin to taskbar will work with that scheme or not.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:38 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by grayscale View Post
Yes, but how can I pin calibre-portable.exe on the taskbar without running a separate instance when clicked? (screenshot on my post above)
You can't, same thing happens with the portableapps.com program. What difference does it make? This isn't a new thing for calibre portable it has been that way on my machine since I installed Windows 7 six months ago.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2012, 01:07 PM   #6
nfetterly
nfetterly began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I'm upgrading from 8.48 portable, have it installed on my desktop and a USB drive. When i try to do the install / upgrade I tell it where it's installed, it sees it and asks me if I want to upgrade (i say yes), but the upgrade fails, message is;

Failed to delete Calibre program folder. Make sure calibre is not running.

I've tried this several times including whutting laptop down and then restarting Win 7 and trying the install before I start and any programs (other than what starts automatically).

Suggestions? Questions?

I then have to recopy Calibre off my USB because now 8.70 exe is there and I get an error code;

Failed to launch the calibre program. The system cannot find the file specified. (Error code:2)

I also have a hard time getting rid of / copying over the calibre folder as it says it's in use by another program (I don't know how to find what program that is).

Last edited by nfetterly; 09-22-2012 at 01:14 PM.
nfetterly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 01:30 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Then install 0.8.70 in a new folder and copy over the files manually.
Old 09-22-2012, 05:01 PM   #8
nfetterly
nfetterly began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Then install 0.8.70 in a new folder and copy over the files manually.
That works
nfetterly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:45 AM   #9
judeandrob
judeandrob began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle keyboard
Windows - I put a shortcut on the desktop for Calibre Portable and then another for Calibre E-Book Mgt.
I can pin the HDD version to the taskbar but not the portable version unless the flashdrive is plugged.
Jude and Rob
judeandrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:05 PM   #10
higlider
higlider began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I have installed the 0.8.70 on my USB drive, and would like to have all the configuration changes I have made on my desktop transferred to the USB drive calibre portable version. How can I do that without messing up part of configuration necessary for the portable version?
higlider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:16 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Simply copy the configuration folder. There are no configuration entries specific to calibre portable.
Old 09-28-2012, 02:53 PM   #12
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
I am able to pin to the taskbar in Win7, just right click on calibre-portable.exe and select pin to taskbar.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote