Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 02-28-2012, 01:47 PM   #1
oldskoolboarder
oldskoolboarder began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Kindle Fire won't read my converted .MOBI files

Using Calibre 0.8.41 on a Mac.

I converted some CBZ files to .MOBI. I put them on my Kindle 2G and the files opened fine. Then I transferred these same files via USB to my Kindle Fire and they won't open. I've tried using File Expert (not Explorer) and I can't open the files. It say 'There is no handler installed...'. Then it says there's no handler after trying to find one. And yes, I did restart the Kindle Fire with no luck.

In Calibre, I had taken the CBZ and did a default .MOBI conversion. I saw threads here and removed the [PDOC] tag with no luck. Then I also changed that tag to [EBOK] with no luck. But these suggestions seem to address when the files are viewable as DOCs not Books. In my case, the files don't work at all.

I went to the Calibre Preferences and removed the [PDOC] default w/ no luck. I also converted MOBI to MOBI w/ [PDOC] removed w/ no luck.

To make things easier, I took a very simple PDF file and used Calibre to convert to .MOBI w/ [PDOC] removed. Even this doesn't open. What am I doing wrong? I can accept something odd w/ my CBZ/CBR files but even a standard PDF file (of pure text) doesn't work.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I want to use .MOBI because it's a bit smaller for CBZ files and that'll give me more free space.

Thanks in advance.
oldskoolboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:46 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Did you use Calibre's "Send to device" option to copy the ebooks to your Fire? If so, the ebooks should be automatically detected when you disconnect in Calibre and then hit the Disconnect button on your Fire. They will likely show up if you don't do the disconects, but this is the safest approach.

The PDOC stuff is a red herring. Check both the Books and Docs apps and any Calibre-produced MOBI should be in one or the other.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2012, 11:23 PM   #3
oldskoolboarder
oldskoolboarder began at the beginning.

MUCH thanks Wallcraft. That was it. It now transfers and I see it under Books. Not sure why a manual drag/drop doesn't work. Oh well.

Not directly related but something I noticed. The .MOBI file converts a colored comic into black and white, but at almost half the size. My goal of the MOBI files was to get back some memory space. Is there any Kindle Fire format that allows for color?

UPDATE: Never mind, I figured out the input settings. In color, the comics aren't too much smaller. Oh well, I'll just do B&W for my older 2G Kindle.

Last edited by oldskoolboarder; 02-29-2012 at 12:11 AM.
oldskoolboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:01 AM   #4
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskoolboarder View Post
The .MOBI file converts a colored comic into black and white, ... UPDATE: Never mind, I figured out the input settings. ...
For others lurking:
There is nothing about MOBI that is causing the color>BW conversion. The conversion is a CBZ Input function in calibre. By default, calibre converts CBZ & CBR images to BW. To disable this you check the appropriate check box in Preferences/Input Options/Comic Input.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:58 AM   #5
jessburjess
jessburjess began at the beginning.

I have a similar question.. my sister is converting books for me using calibre to mobi. Files for my kindle fire.. she then emails me the books and I try to download the books directly to my kindle but it says there no application to support file type, what should I do?
jessburjess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2012, 03:40 AM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessburjess View Post
I have a similar question.. my sister is converting books for me using calibre to mobi. Files for my kindle fire.. she then emails me the books and I try to download the books directly to my kindle but it says there no application to support file type, what should I do?
There might be a way to make this work via your own e-mail account directly to the Fire, but at best it will be complicated. There are two simple alternatives:

a) Using Amazon's Kindle Personal Documents Service you or your sister can send the MOBI to the specified e-mail address and Amazon will download it for you to your Fire (it will be under the Docs app).

b) Download from e-mail to a PC/Mac and sideload via USB to either the Books or the Documents folder. It will show up either under the Books or the Docs app (depending on how the MOBI is configured).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 06:17 PM   #7
LorraineP
LorraineP began at the beginning.

Device: kindle fire 6 hd
new to forum please help

want to buy new kindle. I mostly buy my books from amazon or use apps from public library which are supported. How hard is it to convert books? Also, does anyone know if it is true that google play store can be sideloaded to kindle device? Thanks
LorraineP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 06:35 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by LorraineP View Post
want to buy new kindle. I mostly buy my books from amazon or use apps from public library which are supported. How hard is it to convert books? Also, does anyone know if it is true that google play store can be sideloaded to kindle device? Thanks
Many Public Libraries support Kindles.

New Kindles can read any book that worked on OLD Kindles, without conversion.

You can Sideload any book without DRM . (I have not used the Play Store for books)

Note: You may NOT use Mobilread for help in removing DRM on public Library Books
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 01:03 PM   #9
mbowker
mbowker began at the beginning.

Device: amazon fire 7
Ok, so I had exactly the same problem. At least I thought so, So I converted books to mobi. Copied them to dropbox and attempted to open them from with in dropbox. Got the DRM msg. So I renamed one to prc and tried again. Same problem(DRM). Copied the books to Books folder internal file on the Fire. Books showed up and opened (both prc and mobi). So this does raise the question, if you have an external sd card, is there a external Books directory on the sd card?
mbowker is offline   Reply With Quote