Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-16-2010, 12:03 AM   #1
jessie102
Addict
jessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: SONY PRS505
Sony PRS 950 Issues

Sony PRS 950 Issues:

1.) Column Splits (Page Mode) doesn't work in Landscape Mode

2.) No Zoom in Landscape Mode (workaround: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=111786)

3.) No language addition function (for reading anything in other languages)

4.) No Orientation in Web Browser

5.) Links from documents don't open in Browser (fixed in firmware 2.0.00.11300)

6.) Download links in Web Browser don't work

7.) Web Browser can't page scroll (scroll bar doesn't work) nor is there any way to pg dn/up

8.) Cookies in Web Browser aren't kept, (no way to save logins)

9.) Web Browser Home page can't change

10.) No Zoom in Web Browser & Text Resize doesn't work for some websites

something to keep in mind before buying

FAQs:
Zoom Lock Function Useless? https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=22

Last edited by jessie102; 12-19-2010 at 05:57 PM.
jessie102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 01:31 AM   #2
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
#5 has been fixed with the latest firmware update. See:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=111386

For number 3.) No language addition function (for reading anything in other languages -- do you mean different character sets?

Last edited by doreenjoy; 12-16-2010 at 01:33 AM.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2010, 08:34 AM   #3
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
The 950 is intended to be an ebook reader not a netbook or tablet. Seems like your focus is on web capabilities for which a different device would be more appropriate.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:39 AM   #4
jessie102
Addict
jessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Thats what PALM said a few years ago.

"Palm Pilot's focus is as an organizer only", see how far that got them. Its CEOs like those that stifle technological advance to keep more $$ in their wallets instead of reinvesting into product improvement, and the fanboys that suck it up.

Is being able to chk email, the BBC or any other news site online each morning and some novels on a comfortable e-ink screen too much to ask for?

BeoBook Neo already does this, cept it's additionally got:

Rotate Screen in browser
Txt2Spch
folders
handwriting rec
easy installable fonts/foreign character sets
access to download links in browser
magnetic touch screen (no glare)

Only thing that kept me back was the 6" screen

Stop making excuses for incompetent products

Last edited by jessie102; 12-16-2010 at 11:42 AM.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:43 AM   #5
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
The 950 is intended to be an ebook reader not a netbook or tablet. Seems like your focus is on web capabilities for which a different device would be more appropriate.
Totally agree with you. If people want a web tablet then buy a NOOKcolor for the same price or pay more and get an iPad. I still cannot believe people can get excited about an eInk web browser!

In my opinion, the 950 is hands down the best eInk based eBook reader and possibly the best eBook reader with any kind of screen. And by eBook I mean books specifically designed for eBook readers using an eBook markup language like ePub, LRF, FB2, MOBI, et cetera. I do NOT consider PDFs to be eBooks. Nor do I consider MP3s, MP4s, web browsing, dish washing, cooking, et cetera to be essential eBook reader functions. IMHO, even the 350 contains every function necessary to make a great eBook reader.
Advert
Old 12-16-2010, 11:46 AM   #6
jessie102
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Totally agree with you. If people want a web tablet then buy a NOOKcolor for the same price or pay more and get an iPad. I still cannot believe people can get excited about an eInk web browser!
Why did you get an e-ink device? If you think reading novels on eink is more comfortable, might it not also apply to textual websites or any other textual format?

Each morning I read the BBC (i don't have to worry about getting out of bed to SYNC with Calibre), check some email in the comfort of my bed with the PRS950, it's FAR superior in comfort for my eyes compared to my semi-Pro SPVA Dell Ultrasharp 28" or any BS color LCD

I still can't believe how some people don't understand the benefits of this

Last edited by jessie102; 12-16-2010 at 11:52 AM.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:57 PM   #7
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
If Sony is going to add a browser to their product, then I think it is reasonable for the consumer to expect it to have basic functionality. It's a convenience factor. Not everybody wants it so they don't have to use it. However, if it's there, then it ought to work properly. I think they should fix #4, 6 & 10 to make it a similar experience to the Kindle and Nook products. Without #10, it is greatly limited unless you are reading a mobile website.

jessie102, I don't have any problem with #7. Make sure you swipe up/down or right/left inside the page area. It doesn't work if you put your finger on the scroll bar icons.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 03:35 PM   #8
natasha_fawn
Evangelist
natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-950 (finally!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
If Sony is going to add a browser to their product, then I think it is reasonable for the consumer to expect it to have basic functionality. It's a convenience factor. Not everybody wants it so they don't have to use it. However, if it's there, then it ought to work properly. I think they should fix #4, 6 & 10 to make it a similar experience to the Kindle and Nook products. Without #10, it is greatly limited unless you are reading a mobile website.

jessie102, I don't have any problem with #7. Make sure you swipe up/down or right/left inside the page area. It doesn't work if you put your finger on the scroll bar icons.
You always say what I'm thinking much more eloquently than I could, I'm both appreciative and jealous.

I'm getting the distinct impression that some people think that it is somehow wrong to want a browser (or a music player, for that matter) on an ereader, which is unfortunate. Not everyone has the same priorities or weaknesses, not everyone is attached to a computer 23/7, some people want a device that does it all, some want one device for everything, and some want something in between ().

(This thread just reminded me I have to turn off the wireless on boyfriend's nook. I turned it on to look up if a plant I wanted to buy is toxic to cats, since I had it with me anyway to read at the doctor's office.)
natasha_fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 03:37 PM   #9
trekchick
Lurker
trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sonys and Kindles and Nooks, oh my!
I understand why Sony would want to restrict browser downloads, but I'm a little surprised that they won't allow at least ePub, PDF, and TXT.

Since the browser only works on wifi, there's no compelling reason to prevent the download device-readable files. It would be great to be able to access my personal content via the web browser instead of fiddling with a USB cable.
trekchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 06:35 PM   #10
HarmonS
Enthusiast
HarmonS began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Why do you say you can't browse the BBC from your 950? I'm doing it okay right now, all you have to do is go to google in the browser and type in "news bbc" (without the quote marks, of course) and it gives you a list of hits, most any of which will take you to the BBC front page. And clicking on any item on that page takes you to the article.
What am I missing here?

But frankly, I could care less about the browser even being on the reader. I want a good e-ink ebook reader, and the rest is almost irrelevant. I've got a smartphone (HTC Hero) on which I can browse BBC and NY Times, whatever, laying on my beside table. I've got a nice little netbook, a laptop, and several desktops in the house, and I really have to get myself a pint of green tea in the morning before I start looking at the news anyway, so I'd rather do that on my desktop, except when I'm at my cabin, then I read them on the smartphone since that's the only net access I can get there. And likewise, the smartphone is always going to be on the nightstand, unlike the ebook reader, which may or may not be there depending on what I was reading when I went to bed, quite often a paper book.

Last edited by HarmonS; 12-16-2010 at 06:45 PM.
HarmonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:43 PM   #11
jessie102
Addict

@HarmonS
I think the fact that you can stand reading anything on your smartphone shows your eye's haven't the sensitivity that causes eye strain like on many other people. If in that case, why do you even need e-ink?

of course you can read BBC, as can I. That pretty much one of the few sites that format properly on the PRS950.

Others aren't as convenient. Many sites have text just a tiny bit too long to fit the portrait orientation, which could have much solved by enabling Horizontal Orientation just like every other e-ink device and EVEN on every other area of THIS device. (why the inconsistency?) Some sites have text FAR TOO small and PRS950 fails to resize text.

In any case, it seems some people can't wrap their head around the fact that LCD < e-INK in readability/eye comfort of many applications besides novels. I know, what a crazy new idea.

Just realize that many of us eye's hurt more from reading LCD but are perfect with e-ink display, on ANY APPLICATION. GET IT????

If there was an e-ink iPAD, I'd have gotten one by now.

Last edited by jessie102; 12-16-2010 at 11:46 PM.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:17 PM   #12
HarmonS
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessie102 View Post
@HarmonS
I think the fact that you can stand reading anything on your smartphone shows your eye's haven't the sensitivity that causes eye strain like on many other people. If in that case, why do you even need e-ink?
In any case, it seems some people can't wrap their head around the fact that LCD < e-INK in readability/eye comfort of many applications besides novels. I know, what a crazy new idea.
Just realize that many of us eye's hurt more from reading LCD but are perfect with e-ink display, on ANY APPLICATION. GET IT????
Yes, and I guess my eyes aren't quite as bad as yours. I can browse the web on LCD or CRT screens okay, but can't read long texts except on e-ink screens. Browsing is just light reading without the intense concentration I use with even short stories. I think the difference is just that -- browsing I often look away from the screen even when reading just a short article, but if I get really into a novel or short story, I don't break my concentration by looking away from the page, whether it's paper or a screen. So for me, e-ink is a must have for that sort of reading, but luckily not necessary for browsing.
Hmm, just realized that the above holds true for writing as well. I'm a writer and can write long texts on a computer screen okay, but it's because I don't stare intensely at the screen for long periods when writing, but look away a lot or even close my eyes a lot inbetween spells of typing.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:49 PM   #13
patomonk
Enthusiast
patomonk has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.patomonk has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.patomonk has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.patomonk has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.patomonk has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-950
I have to agree with most of your points and add that I can't even get mine to connect to wifi, unless I go some place where it is absolutely unsecure.

However, I have used the nook and Kindle quite a bit, and as an ereader the Sony is imo soooo much Better!

For example, try checking endnotes in a book in either of those and you will see what I mean. The Sony is the only one that is actually functional for reading any type of book, (some technical pdfs excepted, and they really can't be read on any ereader).

I do really wish that Sony was more like B&N and would kick out a few firmware updates once in a while, although they may be changing in that area. (fingers crossed!)

Even though I wish the browser were better, I don't regret at all buying it, I think that the reading experience is so much better than the competition that I have had experience with.
patomonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 09:20 AM   #14
antistar
Connoisseur
antistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: PRS-500, dr800sg, prs-950, MS SP3, Boox i86ML, Sony Z3TC, KV, Sony RP1
I totally agree with jessie, though I don't regret buying the 950. Another issue I'd like to add here: no exporting word log from the reader.

the tap-and-look-up design is excellent, but I am amazed that a design team that appreciates the handiness of a dictionary did not think of the possibility that people might want to keep a record of the words they look up. I found the list of words in a file named "cacheExt.xml". If even hand-drawn pictures can be saved on the reader, how hard is it to export a list of words? They are already there in the file anyway. Another unfathomable mystery from the reader design team....

Last edited by antistar; 12-18-2010 at 09:22 AM.
antistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 05:57 PM   #15
HarmonS
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by antistar View Post
I found the list of words in a file named "cacheExt.xml". ..
How do you look through the file system?