Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: Is worth the price difference?
Yes 14 33.33%
No 13 30.95%
I don't know 15 35.71%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-19-2010, 10:17 AM   #16
trekchick
Lurker
trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sonys and Kindles and Nooks, oh my!
Quote:
Originally Posted by imno007 View Post
Anyway, I was actually thinking about getting the Sony but it just burns me that they wouldn't even include the AC adapter.
I just bought a PRS-350. The new Sonys use a standard Micro USB connector for data and charging. My Kindle charger, cell phone chargers (car and wall), and iPod wall adapter all work with it. Most people who buy electronic gadgets probably already have at least one USB wall adapter laying around, so the AC adapter isn't a big issue.

My local Best Buy didn't have any cases, but I bought a $7.50 Case Logic neoprene "hoodie" case for portable hard drives. I covered a piece of cardboard with duct tape and stuck it in the front pocket to give it a little substance, and it's perfect. So, cases don't have to cost a bunch, either.
trekchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 03:48 AM   #17
NetCat99
NetCat99 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcao View Post
This is a copy of a message I posted in the Sony forum, but I would like to know the opinion of this forum visitors.

---

After reading a lot of posts about this subject, it seems that the 650 has somewhat better support for PDF than the Kindle Wi-Fi. It's my understanding that both ereaders have zoom and pan of PDF files, but the 650 allows reflowing. I understand that if the file is not tagged then reflowing is useless. Also, I know the 650 is more expensive than the Kindle (225 vs 139 in USA).

So, I have two questions:

1. Am I right in that the only difference for PDF support is the reflowing thing?
2. That better PDF support is worth the price difference?

I don't care (for now) about reading epubs. And yes, I know a Kindle DXG is better for PDFs, but I can't justify expending $379 in a gadget (my wife would behead me ).
Reading PDF with 6inch kindle is worse than reading it on PC.
Reading it on Sony 650 won't be as terrible but can't be so good.

Even with Kindle DX, you probably won't fancy reading a PDF file on your device.

You should either wait or have your head removed. It's nearly the holiday season and they might release something new in a month or two.
NetCat99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2010, 04:33 AM   #18
duckeedoug
Zealot
duckeedoug doesn't litterduckeedoug doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 505
Reading a PDF on a Sony or Kindle just plane sucks. I have a Sony PRS-505 and even with reflow which didn't come until a firmware update is still not fun. I purchased my Kindle last week my first experience with owning a Kindle and I have played with the settings, portrait, landscape, font size, etc and it was the same PDF experience that I had with the Sony. I had a big issue with text being cut off on the right margin which made for incomplete words. I can't recommend one PDF experience over another. However after using Calibre for converting several PDFs my experience is now awesome. I can read the converted books without straining, I can mark text, use the dictionary, etc. I have converted three books so far and they gave better then expected results. I have not attempted to convert PDFs with diagrams or pictures and I think that is where you may have a issue unless converted to HTML first. I say see if you can save some money by trying Calibre first. Calibre is retail quality software, and should be in everyones toolbox. It is truely the Swiss Army knife for e-book lovers. If you do convert PDFs to Mobi or even Epub be sure to play with the settings in Calibre. There are many and you won't hurt anything since you are modifying a copy of your e-books.
duckeedoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 04:34 AM   #19
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcao View Post
I read in my laptop but it's tiring because the LCD screen and because I like to read in bed The DXG is expensive (my laptop cost me about $30 less!) and I have read it has even less PDF support than the new 6" kindles.
If you read on your laptop at night, a program like F.lux might help:
http://www.stereopsis.com/flux/
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 05:22 PM   #20
Falcao
Banned
Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by avantman42 View Post
If you read on your laptop at night, a program like F.lux might help:
http://www.stereopsis.com/flux/
Thanks. It looks good.
Falcao is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert