Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-20-2009, 02:52 PM   #31
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagansoul View Post
I have been looking at the Sony 505 for months but always talk myself out of purchasing one. I love my Kindle and in a pinch, my iphone. I read pdf and magazines with my 13" Macbook. I don't really need a Sony but they look so nice.
Come to the dark side....

I love your avatar, by the way.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 03:01 PM   #32
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
JFYI, all current readers (including Sony and Kindle) run Linux.
yeah,but I thought openinkpot was the OS that ran on the bebook if I'm right...
Edit: Uh.. never mind...
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 03:28 PM   #33
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
tempted, yes, very, but then i love gadgets. i really want a readius but i think it's going to be far too expensive for me. i'm also more and more tempted by an ipod touch or maybe an iphone or similar smartphone (for the apps more than anything else) and i would have a reading app on that so i'm going to say it's on topic, but as i technically don't need it i'm resisting the call of the shiny dice. i'm also tempted by the new engadget tablet which i'm trying to decide if i can justify for, ahem, client meetings (that's my story and i'm sticking to it). and also i'm keeping an eye open for the next generation of tactile e-ink readers ; the sony 700 is brilliant but it's not quite perfect yet. if the next generation (from sony or anybody else) gets it right i'll switch with no hesitation.

i'm not so much tempted by other readers for format availability ; i admit i'm lazy but there are plenty of tools available now for format conversion (i try to avoid drm books whenever possible, and if there's one i really want i usually try to get it in LIT format and remove the drm right away). but let's face it there are many great features that i would love to have all on the *same* device ; i'll really be happy the day i find the perfect liseuse and won't be lusting (so much) for other ones.

i don't really need to have a collection of liseuses ; i can only read one at a time, after all, and after that i start to feel like i don't know where to put them anymore. however it is nice to have two (i have an eb1150 and a sony 700) because i know if ever one breaks i can fall back on the other. of course, it would be nicer to have two which read epub natively...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 05:18 PM   #34
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
"Come to the dark side...."

Is this getting into a trading image?... hum…

And yes I do like that Cat’s avatar!
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 07:12 PM   #35
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Um... ... see my profile?

I started out with a PDA (Toshiba 330), upgraded to a better PDA (Dell Axim 5v). Then bought an eBookwise. Then - when Sony offered the 500 for $50 with a credit card - bought a Sony 500. Tried a Cybook, didn't like it. So - finally - bought a Sony 505.

Phwew!

So these days, I mostly read on the 505. I gave the 500 to a friend. My co-worker is borrowing the eBookwise most days. Gave the old Toshiba PDA to a different work friend. I'll read on the PDA if I want to read a book NOW and don't feel like converting it from eReader format to LRF. And I keep moving the Cybook around the living room - not quite ready to give up on it, but just not using it.

I was so glad the Sony 700 was a step back in clarity so I wasn't tempted to buy one!

The one I'm watching now is Astak's line. They keep hinting at eReader format on eInk...I just might have to buy one of those, too, if they ever surface (and aren't too pricy). Probably would guarantee the release of the Cybook, too.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 09:52 PM   #36
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I've got a Sony 500, a Sony 505 and a Kindle. I bought the 505 because it has more memory and slightly better ergonomics. I keep the 500 as a spare since I have converted the majority of my reading to ebooks. I bought a kindle because Amazon has a much better book selection than does Sony. Right now, I buy books for the kindle, convert them and read them on the 505.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 10:13 PM   #37
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I've got a Sony 500, a Sony 505 and a Kindle. I bought the 505 because it has more memory and slightly better ergonomics. I keep the 500 as a spare since I have converted the majority of my reading to ebooks. I bought a kindle because Amazon has a much better book selection than does Sony. Right now, I buy books for the kindle, convert them and read them on the 505.
The same thing I'm doing, buying Kindle books and making a Sony copy. I do notice that most of us with multiple readers seems to be a little more attach to the our 1st reader. People who owns the PRS-505 1st prefer it, people who owns the Kindle 1st prefer it, people who owns Cybook Gen3 1st prefer it. It's not in every case but a majority.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 10:16 PM   #38
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
I like my gadgets but I carry too many of them as it is without having a second eReader. In addition to the Kindle, I carry two phones (blackberry for work and personal phone) and my pmp (to listen to music and watch videos). Not to mention, I don't need another device to charge, convert and keep loaded (I often convert new cds and videos for my pmp and an occasional library book for my Kindle).

Besides, one of the reasons I bought a Kindle was not having to decide "which book" to take with me each day .

(That being said, if a far superior eReader for my desired use came out, I might switch but keep the Kindle on the side only so I could buy from Amazon. But I don't see anything in the immediate horizon that would tempt me to do so at current prices).
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 04:25 AM   #39
Format C:
Guru
Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad + PRS-505 + Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
I know I can only use 1 reader at a time. If you own 2, what's the reason? If you're thinking of buying another one, why?

I researched like crazy on this board in November 2007 and asked a lot of annoying questions on this message board while I made up my mind. I chose the Sony PRS-505 and my new baby arrived on December 6th, 2007. Even though I love my reader, for some reason I wanted a second one. You guys know how expensive these things are, so I try to justify it by telling myself if 1 need to go for service then I still will have the other one. You know, like a spare car! So I bought a Kindle. Now I feel like I have the best of 2 worlds and can't imagine not owning both.
I don't have a car, so I don't need a spare one...

But I'm trying to find a used 505 to have a second reader (not a "spare" one...).
I'd like it to have a smaller one: I'll use the iLiad for Italian books, comics and Mobipocket, and the Sony for english fiction.
In travel I'd bring the Sony, so I can leave the charger at home (I travel with a Vespa, and I have always to keep my luggage light).
Format C: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 04:29 AM   #40
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagansoul View Post
I have been looking at the Sony 505 for months but always talk myself out of purchasing one. I love my Kindle and in a pinch, my iphone. I read pdf and magazines with my 13" Macbook. I don't really need a Sony but they look so nice.
The same here. The Sony looks very good, but I just refuse to buy a Sony (for the same reason I won't ever buy an iphone, ipod, or any other i product from apple). Besides, I hate non-removable batteries.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 12:55 PM   #41
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
Well I have 6 e-book readers:
Amazon Kindle, 2 Sony 500's, Sony 505, Ebookwise 1150 and a BeBook

But I finally promised myself that I will NOT buy any more readers for at least 2 years.

It started out innocently enough: I took the plunge and bought a Ebookwise 1150 and life was good. Just a couple of weeks later, the Sony 500 came out. E-ink was new and all the rage.

I went to my local Borders store to just see what e-ink looked like and see if it was really better than my Ebookwise. Well when I got there, I looked at the Sony 500 on display and thought that they had a promo decal on it or something. I picked it up, pushed a button and realized that the text was real!! I totally thought that it was a sticker at first--it was just so clear.

So I instantly fell in love with e-ink. I bought one right away--even thought I was supposed to be "just looking." Grrr.

So I get home am enjoying life again and start to think about selling my Ebookwise. But I wanted to save it as a back-up device. Then I noticed that Tiger Direct was selling Sony Readers for $50 (for like only a day or two). So I snapped up one for my girlfriend.

But she preferred paper books, so I had 2 sony's and the ebookwise. Well I sorta felt attached to all of them and didn't want to get rid of them. THEN the Kindle comes out. Ok, I loved the look of. Bought it the first day it came out.

I love the Kindle, but I don't like the font and the line spacing. Then the Sony 505 is on display, I like the way it looks. I go for that. Then I think I'm done. Right?

Nope, then the BeBook comes out. Ultra-light, easy to change out the battery and I loved the variety of formats that you can read on it. But I found out that not all of the formats look that great on the BeBook. So I set it aside.

THEN I try OpenInkpot and reflash my BeBook with their software. With OpenInkpot on it, I can adjust the font, the line spacing, the word spacing and have unlimited decrease/increase sizes. I like the whole idea of it being indy programmers doing what they think is best.

So the BeBook, running OpenInkpot is my main reader right now. It doesn't do everything I would like. Doesn't do pics yet and it doesn't show up on my mac as a removable drive (the native BeBook software did though), but being able to throw, mobi, rtf, txt, and html files at it and have them all come out looking exactly the same solves my problems. I'm very picky about line spacing.

OpenInkpot reads other formats, but those are the most common formats I have. OpenInkpot is a really great product right now, and knowing that they are still working on it to make it even better is just an awesome thing to me.

So I'm thinking that I should sell some of my other devices. BUT I can't part with them because they are part of the history of e-book reading. But I'm done buying anything new for a while. I think. I hope. Probably. Maybe. Well depends on if I can adust fonts and line spacing on the new Kindle....

I try not to think that I could have bought a second friggin' scooter with the money I spent on e-book readers!
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 01:53 PM   #42
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
I'm just weak and gadget freak!
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
I resemble that remark!
tsgreer wins!!
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 04:03 PM   #43
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
oh no, I can't win.

Surely there are guys out there with more readers than me! Speak up!
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 04:10 PM   #44
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsgreer View Post
oh no, I can't win.

Surely there are guys out there with more readers than me! Speak up!
Six readers in about a year and a half and the first three within two weeks of each other? Sorry, but you win. Look, there are a lot of people who envy you so relax and enjoy it. Oh, by the way, I hear there's a new Kindle coming out next week with better fonts, better spacing, special character display, etc.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 04:26 PM   #45
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
Six readers in about a year and a half and the first three within two weeks of each other? Sorry, but you win. Look, there are a lot of people who envy you so relax and enjoy it. Oh, by the way, I hear there's a new Kindle coming out next week with better fonts, better spacing, special character display, etc.
That's evil.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote