Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-25-2013, 06:35 PM   #1
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Not really frozen just very very slow?

My Aura restet itself last night which it does periodically. Usually I have to connect it to the computer to get it to boot up again with the SD card in it even if card is empty.

Last night I was in bed when it rebooted and didn't feel like getting up and turning on computer. I plugged it into wall charger and read instead on my faithful T1

An hour later it still had just the first two dots, but this morning it was fine.

Previously I had left it alone for several hours and then gave up on it and connected it to computer, which is usually pretty fast taking only 3 or 4 resets before it works.

My conclusion is (perhaps wrong) that it wasn't really frozen, just incredibly slow.

It was completely charged just an hour before it appeared to freeze this time. Oh well another mystery event.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:20 PM   #2
theonna
One
theonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melon

Device: Sony, Kindle,Pocketbook, Nook...
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
My conclusion is (perhaps wrong) that it wasn't really frozen, just incredibly slow.
How many books are there on your Aura? Was it connected to the wifi?
Could it be that it downloaded an update and was installing it?
Mine is really really slow when I have more than 2 thousand books on it.
theonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:33 PM   #3
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
I have never had that happen (periodically reset) on any of my Kobo's, including the Aura. Personally, if that happened I'd be frustrated and take it back.

If you can, or if it's not an incredible hassle, I'd exchange it.
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:38 PM   #4
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I'd remove the SD card and see if the behavior continues.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:15 PM   #5
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

First time it reset in about a month. Always does the same with SD card in even if blank as I said.

Has reset with no SD card in, but recovers faster.

Can't easily take it back as I bought it in Vancouver and am in a small Yukon town.

Wifi has never been turned on as I don't want it to download update.

I just found it curious that it appeared frozen for an hour or more and eventually recovered. What can it be doing for all this time And why would it recover faster when connected to the USB port on computer.

Helen

Last edited by speakingtohe; 05-25-2013 at 09:17 PM.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:38 PM   #6
theonna
One
theonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melon

Device: Sony, Kindle,Pocketbook, Nook...
If you cant get to Kobo store, first thing I would've done is backup your Kobo books, take SD card out, and reset device to factory default, then let it download all updates, put your books back on, turn wifi off and see if it helps. But even before doing all that, probably is a good idea to check if something is turning device off or on accidentally... just to make sure.
theonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 02:45 AM   #7
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Well lockups and resets happen sometimes, but I'd be a bit concerned that it's hanging during the reboot -my phone has been doing that lately since a new firmware update and I'd like to kick the idiot who released the new firmware. The trouble with consumer products is there is never any direct or at least obvious feedback from devices to let you know at what point something is failing so you'd have a chance at figuring out where the problem comes in. Any available data must be buried to present the illusion that nothing can ever go wrong to the consumer!

If you have a ton of books or it tends to fail a majority of the time while performing the same task or with a certain book that might shed a little light on why it's resetting, or at least why it's taking so long to reboot.

Does anyone know if there is an internal dump file or boot log created that would tell anyone what is going on?
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 01:01 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
If you have a ton of books or it tends to fail a majority of the time while performing the same task or with a certain book that might shed a little light on why it's resetting, or at least why it's taking so long to reboot.

Does anyone know if there is an internal dump file or boot log created that would tell anyone what is going on?
I've run into the very slow boot issue when and there is no dump file generated. At first, I had thought my Aura had completely frozen though if I removed the SD card and rebooted, it would boot with normal speed. After the boot, if I inserted the SD card, it would take longer than a factory reset/process SD card before it would be responding again. OTOH, it didn't lose my stats the way a factory reset did. The issue seems to be triggered when I removed books from the uSD card and then power cycled the Aura. Didn't matter if I deleted the books using Calibre, the Aura GUI or just deleted them from the computer command line. After the first slow boot, it would be normal until the next time I attempted to manage my library.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:21 PM   #9
speakingtohe
Wizard

Quote:

Fairish number of books but nothing added for about a month during which time as I said it did not reboot.. I did delete all the kepubs and readded them as epubs about a week ago. It processed everything in less than a minute.

Had just finished a book, so as I read it once with no problem seems unlikely. I had powered of with home screen showing after finishing and Aura rebooted when I turned it on and pressed library I think, but maybe I just turned it on.

When I was adding and/or deleting books they processed very quickly. And if I connected to the USB port on computer after earlier restets it rebooted in a minute or two. Unconnected it appeared to stay frozen.

Rebooting occasionally I can understand and even freezing I can understand. What has me wondering is why it would appear to be frozen and then return to normal after a few hours.

It doesn't upset me unduly, just seems a bit bizarre.

Helen
Old 05-26-2013, 07:23 PM   #10
speakingtohe
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I've run into the very slow boot issue when and there is no dump file generated. At first, I had thought my Aura had completely frozen though if I removed the SD card and rebooted, it would boot with normal speed. After the boot, if I inserted the SD card, it would take longer than a factory reset/process SD card before it would be responding again. OTOH, it didn't lose my stats the way a factory reset did. The issue seems to be triggered when I removed books from the uSD card and then power cycled the Aura. Didn't matter if I deleted the books using Calibre, the Aura GUI or just deleted them from the computer command line. After the first slow boot, it would be normal until the next time I attempted to manage my library.

Regards,
David
Sounds similiar if your slow boot was over three hours.

Helen
Old 05-26-2013, 08:41 PM   #11
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Sounds similiar if your slow boot was over three hours.
The time I found out it wasn't totally frozen was when I left the Aura overnight since it was just too late. The next morning it was happy enough. I really don't know how long it took but when I've been watching it, seems from 15 to 30 minutes after deleting one book from the screen freezing to when the boot finished.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:12 PM   #12
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Honestly, to me the strangest part is that plugging in the USB seems to make a difference. It makes me wonder that it's stuck in some sort of a loop that's interrupted by sensing the USB is connected not simply processing something that is taking a long time.

Unless the USB has some higher priority and causes the other task to terminate or shift into a background mode and it continues to run in the background while the reader appears to now be working normally for the user?

I mentioned above that I had a similar rebooting problem with my Android phone... In my case the phone will boot almost completely, sometimes several times, and I've also found it's much more likely to reboot properly if it's plugged into a charger when it happens. Really has me wondering if it's anecdotal, or if not, why it makes a difference. The funny part is that Android is also built on Linux so one wonders at the "coincidence."
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 12:40 AM   #13
speakingtohe
Wizard

Quote:
Honestly, to me the strangest part is that plugging in the USB seems to make a difference. It makes me wonder that it's stuck in some sort of a loop that's interrupted by sensing the USB is connected not simply processing something that is taking a long time.

Unless the USB has some higher priority and causes the other task to terminate or shift into a background mode and it continues to run in the background while the reader appears to now be working normally for the user?

I mentioned above that I had a similar rebooting problem with my Android phone... In my case the phone will boot almost completely, sometimes several times, and I've also found it's much more likely to reboot properly if it's plugged into a charger when it happens. Really has me wondering if it's anecdotal, or if not, why it makes a difference. The funny part is that Android is also built on Linux so one wonders at the "coincidence."
When I first got Aura it rebooted several times (every time I wanted to show it off it seemed.) I put in 32 G SD card immediately on getting it and baout 500 books which were the same as on the mini at that time).

Fisrt time I rebooted several times then I pulled out card and it rebooted fine. Same as DSNB posted above I think(no books on main memory)

Put card in and reboot, it would go to second set of dots and stay there on dot two.

Take out card, plug into computer and reboot, then insert card and reboot worked every time I think.

Then I upgraded to 2.51 IIRC and it didn't reboot for quite a while. Had similiar issues with Sony PRS 300 several years ago although it only froze 3 times in 2 years.

I assume that the Aura is polling the USB port periodically and changes its procedure a bit if computer detected, but still this doesn't explain what it could possibly be doing inside its little microprocessor to take several hour to reboot when not attached.

Another of life's little mysteries I guess.

Helen
Old 05-27-2013, 05:29 AM   #14
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Can't easily take it back as I bought it in Vancouver and am in a small Yukon town.
Except if things are different in Canada, but if you need to exchange it, you don't have to go back to the exact store you bought it from. Any one from the same franchise should do.
Paola who bought a Mini at WH Smith, went to another one and got a new Mini easily.

I hope you won't have to go that far and that your Aura will start to behave properly
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:07 AM   #15
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
Except if things are different in Canada, but if you need to exchange it, you don't have to go back to the exact store you bought it from. Any one from the same franchise should do.
Paola who bought a Mini at WH Smith, went to another one and got a new Mini easily.

I hope you won't have to go that far and that your Aura will start to behave properly
Not different in canada...but i'm guessing they mean that vancouver is the closest store or that there is no store that it would be reasonable to get to
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote