Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-28-2013, 10:08 PM   #1
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Thumbs up firmware 2.4.0 and buy now, or how tshering saved my life

After the update to 2.4.0 I had an issue with kepub.epub files, in that they had disappeared from the shelves, although I could see them in the book list with the option "buy now". DomesticExtremis had the same problem, and it was suggested to re-load the book.

Problem is, I had a lot of annotations I did not want to lose, and whereas by clicking on the "buy now" icon produced a server error, I noticed that if clicking the book cover the book would open as normal, and would remember where you left off next time you opened it. Only, it would not show on the carousel, the cover would not show when sleeping, and the ominous "buy now" won't go away. Also, I wasn't very wise in making the point in a thread dealing with something else entirely.

It turns out that the problem is in the sqlite database, and it can be fixed! I did try to open and explore the "content" tab of the database, but was pathetic enough with the search that I could not even find the right entries. Anyhow tshering fixed it for me - the problem was with the content.UserID, and I just reloaded the "tsheringfied" database. So thanks tshering

I thought I'd open this in case other people are experiencing the problem (or should the problem arise again with future firmware updates). I am not sure I understood exactly what he did, so I'll leave it to him to explain the details.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:43 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
That's interesting. Do you know what tshering changed?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:08 AM   #3
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Previously in case of kepub.epub-s , there was an empty value assigned to "content.___UserID". Since FW 2.4.0 the expected value is "kepub_user".
Edit: this concerns only the main entry (the reference to the whole book), not the references to chapters and so on.

Last edited by tshering; 03-01-2013 at 04:14 AM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:41 AM   #4
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Maybe this is related to this case. After updating to FW 2.4.0, five Japanese language epubs (not kepubs) did not go to the carousel (I only tried these five Japanese books, other language epubs worked fine.). After synchronizing, four of them were gone from the datebase and from the device. Only the related xml files in the Adobe Digital Editions folder remained there. Unfortunately, I did not backup the database before synchronizing.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:51 AM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I thought the that was something like that for the user. But, I thought it was there for an earlier firmware. I have lots of backup databases, but none with a kepub.epub in them.

Did you update the epubs? A changed file size will cause them to disappear from the device.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:56 AM   #6
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Did you update the epubs? A changed file size will cause them to disappear from the device.
This is the strange thing, I didn't do anything to those files, except for opening them on the device .
Old 03-02-2013, 01:21 AM   #7
DomesticExtremis
Addict
DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: default
So other than obtaining a 'tscheringified' database, is
there any way I could fix my 'Buy Now' books other than
reloading them i.e.can anyone provide instructions for
fixing up the db?
DomesticExtremis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:28 AM   #8
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomesticExtremis View Post
So other than obtaining a 'tscheringified' database, is
there any way I could fix my 'Buy Now' books other than
reloading them i.e.can anyone provide instructions for
fixing up the db?
You can 'DomesticExtremisify' the database by executing the following command against the database:
Code:
UPDATE content SET ___UserID='kepub_user'
WHERE ContentID LIKE 'file:///mnt/%'
AND ContentID LIKE '%kepub.epub%';

You can use for this for instance the 'Command Line Shell For SQLite' (http://www.sqlite.org/sqlite.html) or the 'SQLite Database Browser' (http://sourceforge.net/projects/sqlitebrowser/). Both are freeware.
If you are not used to it the browser might be more convenient. Do it on your own risk. If you do it, don't forget to make a pack up copy of the database for safety reasons.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:42 PM   #9
DomesticExtremis
Addict
DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: default
Ta v. much tschering!
It works. I used Sqliteman (on my linux distro)
(for those less familiar with the kobo innards, like me ,
the database is opened at
KoboReader/.kobo/KoboReader.sqlite).
DomesticExtremis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:17 PM   #10
tshering
Wizard

DomesticExtremis,

I am glad it worked for you. Thank you for adding the file location. I did not think of it.