Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-15-2010, 02:04 AM   #31
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguefan99 View Post
It works fine as a reader, its been powered on and off a lot. It gets a lot of use so I never know how many page turns I have done. I have never run out of battery but I generally dont go that long between charges.

As I've said before I generally dont pay that much attention to the battery meter I just charge it often.

I suspect the "purple" (red and blue on together) is the kobo telling me that its pretty close to being charged but isn't quite there yet. I've seen the red on alone and the blue on alone in the past. I generally have pulled it on when its on "purple" as I want to read at that time.
Ah, purple comes just when you used the reader some time?
My best guess is that it was not intended. Otherwise would
be in "sticky" or mentioned by kobo people.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 02:08 AM   #32
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
I just upgraded and for my first charge I had the red light for a while and then both red and blue lights for a bit and then finally just the blue light. Didn't take very long to charge as it was only charged yesterday anyway.
For what it's worth after playing around a bit hiding the freebies, checking that all my books were there and that the few with font problems were fixed - maybe 30 minutes or so I have already dropped a bar and I haven't even had a chance to read anything yet.
This is my second Kobo as my first was exchanged due to the battery problems - I had to recharge 5 times in my first week
This second one was a bit better - only recharging every second or third day so I have high hopes that after the upgrade I might manage a bit longer. I'm going sailing in a few weeks and I won't have any way to charge it. I really want to get a week out it otherwise it's not going to be worth taking it with me.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 02:14 AM   #33
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyB View Post
I just upgraded and for my first charge I had the red light for a while and then both red and blue lights for a bit and then finally just the blue light. Didn't take very long to charge as it was only charged yesterday anyway.
For what it's worth after playing around a bit hiding the freebies, checking that all my books were there and that the few with font problems were fixed - maybe 30 minutes or so I have already dropped a bar and I haven't even had a chance to read anything yet.
This is my second Kobo as my first was exchanged due to the battery problems - I had to recharge 5 times in my first week
This second one was a bit better - only recharging every second or third day so I have high hopes that after the upgrade I might manage a bit longer. I'm going sailing in a few weeks and I won't have any way to charge it. I really want to get a week out it otherwise it's not going to be worth taking it with me.
Strange. Are all devices with this signs upgraded using the
same method?
I assume battery might show incorrect level. For sure it could
be full and show otherwise. And vice versa. People using SD
card upgrade did not mention something alike.
Once again, big troubles should be in "sticky".
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:21 AM   #34
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyB View Post
I really want to get a week out it otherwise it's not going to be worth taking it with me.
Harley - have you actually run it out or are you predicting based on the battery gauge? I'm running a test in another thread here where I'm currently at 6000 page turns on a single charge and it's still going strong. Based on my observations so far, the battery indicator is not very linear - it goes down fast at first and then considerably slower later on.
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:43 AM   #35
roguefan99
Zealot
roguefan99 began at the beginning.

Device: Smart Q7, and Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3d0g View Post
Based on my observations so far, the battery indicator is not very linear - it goes down fast at first and then considerably slower later on.
I'd agree with that, I've had mine sitting on empty once and it kept going for at least another 300 page turns. However when its full it starts dropping to 1/2 way in 300 page turns.
roguefan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 11:39 AM   #36
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

I cannot comment on the charging lights issue as I have not needed to recharge my Kobo since the upgrade.

I did the upgrade on July 1st. I've read about 3 or 4 books since then and I only just dropped down to 1/4 charge this morning.
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 01:03 PM   #37
StealthyScribe
Feverish
StealthyScribe began at the beginning.

Device: Black Kobo
With mine, as I said earlier the red light was on, then both red and blue, and then eventually the red light went out and it was just the blue light. Since I had bought a new book, I did the sync, then unplugged it. All 17 books I've bought from Kobo obviously appeared back on my I'm Reading list...I've got them all set that they're on the last page of the book so I can just open it, click the last page and remove the book from the list. While doing that, my battery meter dropped by one bar. Very disappointing to see how much life is drained by having to do that, so I REALLY hope they address the issue in their next upgrade. It's ridiculous that the books can't just stay in our collections without reappearing when we sync a new purchase.
StealthyScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 07:17 AM   #38
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
Before the upgrade my battery was running completey out. One minute I would be reading - the next the kobo would be dead. Usually at a really inconvenient time - ie just when I was getting to a good part! So then I would charge the kobo and finish reading from the computer screen - YUCK!
I am a fast reader. No idea how many page turns but I normally read a book from start to finish in a session. With my original Kobo I was unable to read a full book on a single charge which was extremely disappointing as I am not used to stopping until the book is finished.

That kobo was replaced and the second one (the one I have now) was much better. It still required charging every 2 or 3 days. So with the second kobo I was getting usually 2 books per charge - sometimes 3 books. Really depended on whether I was prepared to risk it running out on me.
I have only read 1 book since I did the upgrade and that didn't cause any further drop in the charge indicator.
I have just purchased another 5 books and so the kobo has had another charge tonight. It will be interesting to see how much I can read now before it needs charging again.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote