Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-09-2016, 05:11 PM   #1831
dhdurgee
Addict
dhdurgee beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.dhdurgee beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.dhdurgee beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.dhdurgee beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.dhdurgee beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.dhdurgee beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.dhdurgee beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.dhdurgee beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.dhdurgee beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.dhdurgee beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.dhdurgee beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: K3W, KT2
I just changed an option in the kindlegen.ini file to set add_asin = True (it had been False) and this may have corrected the problem. This setting, however, does not prompt me for the ASIN but generates one. So I am still stuck with the cover I have.

Where are you retrieving your better covers? I would be happy to upgrade mine if there is a way to pull them for insertion into the book.

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 05:40 PM   #1832
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW & PW2; Kobo H2O
@XXCoder: showlog in the shell, or ;dm in the Homescreen's searchbar.

Once the framework hits a broken image, the cycle is screwed up until the next framework boot.

@dhdurgee: I wouldn't know, I'm using Calibre, so everything is handled automatically .

Happy to know that the Sigil plugin *can* painlessly handle everything properly though .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 02-09-2016 at 05:42 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 06:23 PM   #1833
knc1
Helpdesk Junkie
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many.
@XXCoder: remote access: See the USBnetwork package
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 08:07 PM   #1834
dhdurgee
Addict
dhdurgee beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.dhdurgee beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.dhdurgee beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.dhdurgee beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.dhdurgee beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.dhdurgee beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.dhdurgee beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.dhdurgee beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.dhdurgee beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.dhdurgee beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.dhdurgee beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: K3W, KT2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@XXCoder: showlog in the shell, or ;dm in the Homescreen's searchbar.

Once the framework hits a broken image, the cycle is screwed up until the next framework boot.

@dhdurgee: I wouldn't know, I'm using Calibre, so everything is handled automatically .

Happy to know that the Sigil plugin *can* painlessly handle everything properly though .
I got some feedback from someone in the Sigil forum that Calibre might be a better tool for tweaking .azw3 books, so I downloaded 2.50.1 and installed it. I just loaded one of the problem books in it and am trying to work on the cover. I tried hitting "add cover" on the tools menu, but the only images I see are those in the .azw3 file. Hitting the "import image" button browses files on my computer, so I don't see where you are getting your images in Calibre. What am I missing? Is the book damaged and in need of repair before I can get the proper cover?

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 08:20 PM   #1835
eschwartz
Irrational Optimist
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
How do you expect to get covers?

They were talking about calibre the ebook library management tool, not calibre the program that bundles an E-Book Editor.
There should be a default cover in the book. If not, use the Metadata Download function to search for images on Google/Amazon/etc.

Whatever. The point is that converting EPUB to AZW3 using calibre and then using calibre's Send-to-device will always do the Right Thing.
It will even take care of automagically setting the cdetype/ASIN configuration to ensure the Screensavers hack works smoothly.
eschwartz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 01:08 AM   #1836
flasozzi
flasozzi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Papwerwhite 3
So I've just jailbroken my Kindle Paperwhite 3 with that newly released jailbreak method and I can't install this hack. (I've been trying the Python thingy only; if I don't get the Python to work then I won't even try the hack itself since it won't do what I want it to).

I download the correct file but the "update your Kindle" doesn't turn black.

When I plug my Kindle back into my computer, the installation file is mysteriously gone.

My Kindle Paperwhite 3 is running 5.6.5 (Brazilian Portuguese), serial number starting with G090 G105 (dunno if it's relevant).

If you need any other piece of info just lemme know.

Thanks!

EDITING:
I've tried restarting it and going through the process again but no luck.
flasozzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 01:16 AM   #1837
eschwartz
Irrational Optimist
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quoting the installation instructions from the first post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Note that if you have KUAL set up and running, you're welcome to use our very own MR Package Installer, which may speed up the process if you're installing multiple things .
IMPORTANT: Remember that on FW >= 5.5.x, using MRPI is REQUIRED to install custom packages!
eschwartz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 08:15 AM   #1838
flasozzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Quoting the installation instructions from the first post:
Well, considering English isn't my mother tongue, I had to re-read this bit over and over until I actually understood it. Thanks. The first post isn't exactly really clear, especially when read at 5 am.
I kinda miss having step by step dummy-proof threads.
Guess I got lazy after using xda-dev for so long :P

Anyways, I didn't want to have to install KUAL but seems like it's the only way so alright, here we go.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:31 AM   #1839
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
I have JB my Kindle voyage recently for the book covers. After JB, I have updated to the latest FW 5.7.2. I've installed the screen saver hack from the mrpackage installer, and it works somewhat. Meaning my screen saver is kinda stuck on the "didn't find any book covers to use yet" screen saver. I have dis-/enabled the hack, I have tried different settings, I've restarted the framework and my device multiple times, but I never got to see the book cover of the book I'm reading (and I tried the other titles I have on my kindle, too). I've downloaded all books directly from Amazon after purchase. Is there any more I can do?

And sorry if this may have been asked before, but a quick search on book covers not showing up only provided the main link to this thread.
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 08:50 AM   #1840
flasozzi

Got it to work. I wanted the "last opened book" feature so I dropped an empty cover file inside the linkss folder.
And it's working, alright. Only it's displaying the cover of a book I finished reading 4 months ago and haven't opened since.

I'm gonna go through the entire thread later and see if this issue's there, but I can see there's a guy being so aggressive and wanting to argue with everyone so can't say I'm eager to read everything.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:08 AM   #1841
knc1
Helpdesk Junkie
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flasozzi View Post
Got it to work. I wanted the "last opened book" feature so I dropped an empty cover file inside the linkss folder.
And it's working, alright. Only it's displaying the cover of a book I finished reading 4 months ago and haven't opened since.

I'm gonna go through the entire thread later and see if this issue's there, but I can see there's a guy being so aggressive and wanting to argue with everyone so can't say I'm eager to read everything.
Check the date/time setting.

Do you have other books on the device?
What format books?
Where did you get the ss package?
In the snapshots thread?
If not try that one.

First post of this thread, open the spoiler on the section about troubleshooting.

= = = =

Registration form at this site does not have any questions about 'good moral character' and/or 'civil behavior' for new members.
We have to take'm as the come along.
(And the moderators ban them as required.)
Old 02-10-2016, 09:39 AM   #1842
flasozzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Check the date/time setting.

Do you have other books on the device?
What format books?
Where did you get the ss package?
In the snapshots thread?
If not try that one.

First post of this thread, open the spoiler on the section about troubleshooting.
Well, thanks for the reply. I've checked my Kindle time and it was indeed wrong. So I made it right. Yet things are the same, still getting the cover from the first book I've read on my Kindle.

All the books I have were downloaded from Amazon. I guess they're mobi? I'm still new to this Kindle thing, used to have a Kobo and although it wasn't really stable to use it was much less complicated to mod. :P

I got the package from this thread. Now I went to the snapshots thread and downloaded it from there. I installed it on top of what I already had and still got the same problem.

I'll try uninstalling and installing again.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:41 AM   #1843
knc1
Helpdesk Junkie

What is the file extension of the book files?
Only the snapshot version can use the new *.kfx format.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:54 AM   #1844
flasozzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
What is the file extension of the book files?
Only the snapshot version can use the new *.kfx format.
So I've removed everything and installed the other thread's version from scratch instead. Now it's working. Thanks a lot!
Old 02-10-2016, 11:26 AM   #1845
CalbertAmu
Hungry
CalbertAmu began at the beginning.

Device: Jailbroken PW3
Man, the Cover hack is so cool I cannot thank you enough
CalbertAmu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, python, screensavers, touch