Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-07-2016, 07:19 PM   #3601
Barty
Wizard
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, PW2, iPad 3
Re font hack, I'm trying to get tighter line spacing by playing with my custom font's metrics -- ascender, descender, etc. When I preview the font in Windows, I'm seeing tighter line spacing, but when installed on PW2, there's no effect. Seems like the reader just ignores the font metrics values and calculates its own. True?
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 08:40 AM   #3602
shamanNS
Groupie
shamanNS can grok the meaning of the universe.shamanNS can grok the meaning of the universe.shamanNS can grok the meaning of the universe.shamanNS can grok the meaning of the universe.shamanNS can grok the meaning of the universe.shamanNS can grok the meaning of the universe.shamanNS can grok the meaning of the universe.shamanNS can grok the meaning of the universe.shamanNS can grok the meaning of the universe.shamanNS can grok the meaning of the universe.shamanNS can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kindle PW3[300dpi] , Kindle PW1
Double check that you're not using (old) mobi format for your books.

I'm using modified (edited via Font Creator) Bookerly on my PW3. Don't have jailbreak so I'm embedding font files to every azw3 book
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 09:04 AM   #3603
knc1
Helpdesk Junkie
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanNS View Post
Double check that you're not using (old) mobi format for your books.

I'm using modified (edited via Font Creator) Bookerly on my PW3. Don't have jailbreak so I'm embedding font files to every azw3 book
The firmware in your PW-3 has the new layout engine.
Barty did not post if that PW-2 had been updated yet to the newest firmware.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 07:33 PM   #3604
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW & PW2; Kobo H2O
@Barty: I vaguely remember posting a FontForge screenshot of what the Kindle renderer actually cares about when tweaking these things. With a bit of luck, I linked to it in the FAQ. If not, try doing an attachment search on my nick, the screenshot would have been a PNG.

But, yeah, what @shamanNS said holds true, I don't remember how the mobi6 renderer behaves on that front, so I'm talking about KF8 here .

And potentially forget about KFX, too, since that's a whole other can of worms... .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 09:13 PM   #3605
Barty
Wizard
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, PW2, iPad 3
Thanks all. I'm on an old fw, like 5.4.3 or something. Don't want to update because I don't want to mess my jb. I'm using Mobi because the kf8 renderer has even bigger line spacing. I'll give azw3 another shot and try to find NiLuJe's post.

Last edited by Barty; 01-09-2016 at 09:17 PM.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 05:27 PM   #3606
MrCaringi
Venezuelan
MrCaringi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bminata View Post
Thank you! It works now!

Hello!
(me again)

I have the same problem:

The kindle show my customs ScreenSaver,

But I want to show me the cover of the last book I opened.

I tried 2 things:
1. creating the "cover" file in "linkss" folder (didnt work)
2. via KUAL
2.1 open Helper+
2.2 Select "ALLOW ScreenSaver" (a check mark is showed)
2.3 Head to "Screen Saver" Menu
2.4 select "COVER MODE BEHAVIOR" and select "White Borders"
then "QUIT" option.

I opened the book, read a couple of pages, then push sleep button...
... and I keep watching the wonderwoman picture (not the book cover...)

some clues:
  1. Should I erase all the pictures in the ScreenSaver folder before activating COVER Mode?
  2. Does it matter the resolution of the cover incrusted in the .mobi file?

thanks a lot for your time!
MrCaringi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 05:30 PM   #3607
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Toggling cover mode requires a framework restart (at the very least).
Old 01-14-2016, 06:44 PM   #3608
MrCaringi
Venezuelan

Thumbs up Solved!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Toggling cover mode requires a framework restart (at the very least).
jum... man... I didnt read that... I think...

thanks thanks thanks again!

So, for anyone figuring out how it look in the kindle PW2:
---
I followed the same steps writting before.
+ framework restart:

Happy to see you again!:

Open my current reading book, read a couple the pages and press the sleep button:

guys!
Old 01-14-2016, 08:02 PM   #3609
NiLuJe
BLAM!

I should probably put that requirement in the KUAL status message triggered by the cover mode button, just in case .
Old 01-15-2016, 11:35 AM   #3610
MrCaringi
Venezuelan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
I should probably put that requirement in the KUAL status message triggered by the cover mode button, just in case .
Really? do you mean this thread: Kindle Touch/PaperWhite ScreenSavers Hack (its your thread by the way )
Or you are talking about a wiki page?

In the other hand: It could be a IRONIC message... I dont catch ironic in english
Old 01-15-2016, 12:00 PM   #3611
knc1
Helpdesk Junkie
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCaringi View Post
Really? do you mean this thread: Kindle Touch/PaperWhite ScreenSavers Hack (its your thread by the way )
Or you are talking about a wiki page?

In the other hand: It could be a IRONIC message... I dont catch ironic in english
It is already in the installation instructions of the SS Hack top thread.

I read that as being an additional (reminder) message written to the status area of the KUAL menu.

Another choice, for the K5 and older, is to ring bells and blow whistles (meaning: restart required).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 01:42 PM   #3612
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Yup, what @knc1 said .
Old 01-15-2016, 04:49 PM   #3613
MrCaringi
Venezuelan

So right!

it is here:

"Do you want to use the cover of the last book opened as a screensaver? Make sure you've installed the Python package first, then just drop a blank file named cover in the linkss folder. Restart your Kindle ([HOME] -> [MENU] > Settings -> [MENU] > Restart; or simply use the Screen Savers > Restart framework now button in KUAL), and you're done ."

I read it but totally forgot! sorry guys...
... and thanks again!

Tags
fonts, fw3, hack, jailbreak 3.1, niluje's hacks, screensavers, usbnet