Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-21-2014, 04:14 PM   #1
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Need recs for new desk/typing issues

Hi, guys:

As some of you know, I've been plagued with shoulder problems the last two years. It started out somewhat normally--a torn rotator cuff which turned into adhesive capsulitis (frozen shoulder) in my right shoulder, but then as it passed off, after 15 months, in my right, it started up in my left. And, despite what I would have thought before this happened to me, and what you guys are thinking, yes, it actually happens--frozen shoulder appears in the other shoulder remarkably often, even without an injury to the second shoulder. So...here I am, and it's not getting better. Given that I'm at the desk 12+ hours/day, typing, typing, typing, it's obviously part of the issue.

I've gotten to a place now where I simply can't lift my left hand/arm to type further, period. It's excruciating. I'm fairly sure that the desk itself is causing part of the problem.

I have a very old traditional desk, no typing well for the keyboard. This means, as you guys know, that my hands are higher than they should be, which adds some strain to the shoulder girdle/delts. I need recommendations for a new desk. It needs to be large enough to support 4 large-ish monitors (on a 4-by/arm stand that clips to the desk), plus a mac-mini that lives in the corner for when needed (uploads to iBooks), a digitizing tablet, and two cats. (Two maine coons, in fact). My current desk is 31" deep by 5' long. Longer is better. Obviously, it needs a sturdy typing well, not one of those flimsy pull-outs you see in cheap-o office stores.

Any suggestions for models you have that have worked well? Anything I can have shipped would also be good.

Thanks in advance,
Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 06:41 PM   #2
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
This isn't what you are asking for, but consider it as a seed for your thoughts. My sewing table is an old hollow core door (has a gouge in one side; I pulled it from the trash can and then polyeurethaned it prettily). It sits on 2 kitchen cupboards -- or on whatever is the right height for you. You can't beat it for width! I don't bother attaching it to the cupboards; the weight of my sewing gear is fine to keep it in place. And creating something like this might cost a lot less.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2014, 07:08 PM   #3
5thWiggleWife
I’m a Happy Boy!
5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2017, Acer A500, Kobo Glo, iPad mini
I'm not sure what your cost tolerance is but we have been having great success at work with a product made by Steelcase called "AirTouch". This is a height adjustable table desk allowing the individual to move the surface at the touch of a button to whatever height they like from sitting to standing height.

Several of our staff have chronic back problems and the ability to stand or sit has increased their comfort greatly.

Their web store only sells the smaller desk but you can submit a request and a dealer in your area will give you a call. This way you should be able to get access to the wider variety of shapes/sizes available. They have a nice split-height corner piece as well as a split height rectangle top giving you a very stable keyboard surface. They also have a really nice boomerang shape which would bring the sides of the surface closer to you body. These desks are made to be used with monitor arms and are very sturdy.

Go to www.steelcase.com and search on AirTouch for the full brochure and gallery.

Good luck finding something that works for you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	125652  
5thWiggleWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:31 PM   #4
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KB, iPad2
I have a similar problem with typing at a standard desk or the kitchen table. At work, I added a keyboard tray which pulls out from under the desk. It's adjustable up and down. Much of the time, I work on a laptop -- in my lap -- which keeps the keyboard low and avoids the strain on my shoulder.

In my home office, I bought a chair which can be adjusted to a higher-than-normal position. I have a small box on the floor to rest my feet on since it's now somewhere between normal chair height and those chairs for use at the kitchen bar.

You might also search online for "ergonomic" office furniture.
Hampshire Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:15 PM   #5
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
There are better grade keyboard trays that are fully adjustable. But you're right about the flimsy ones - I've got one here, and it's better than nothing, but still not what it should be. On my list, now that the finances are turning around.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2014, 08:51 PM   #6
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thWiggleWife View Post
I'm not sure what your cost tolerance is but
HOLY CRAP!!

Listen, I spend more than the average bear on office stuff, but man, for that kind of dough, it ought to rise up and down, make dinner, do the dishes, and give me on-demand sex, too.

On a serious note, it looks WONDERFUL, and if I can't find something else remotely suitable, I may just bite the bullet, but, crap-city, that's a lotta, lotta ebooks to pay for that. An über-lotta. I don't have that many fingers and toes. But I will, absolutely, look into what the bigger one cost, because I need a lot of desk real-estate.

ETA: Hmmm...think I'll change my search to CHEAP ergonomic office furniture...

Thanks much!
Hitch

Last edited by Hitch; 07-21-2014 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Because Hitch is cheap?
Old 07-22-2014, 09:00 AM   #7
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
How about keep the desk (and the cats and the monitors, etc.) and invest in a tall adjustable chair designed for drafting tables? They have nifty hydraulic controls that shoot you up & down, plus a foot rest. That way you could adjust your shoulder height relative to the table where you are typing. Old manuals are wonderful for raising monitor heights to your new eye level - at work my monitors are resting on old very thick Linux manuals and my very first accounting book, plus the Win XP references. (I had to adjust everything when I got 'computer glasses' - but it was worth it).
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 02:58 PM   #8
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
How about keep the desk (and the cats and the monitors, etc.) and invest in a tall adjustable chair designed for drafting tables? They have nifty hydraulic controls that shoot you up & down, plus a foot rest. That way you could adjust your shoulder height relative to the table where you are typing. Old manuals are wonderful for raising monitor heights to your new eye level - at work my monitors are resting on old very thick Linux manuals and my very first accounting book, plus the Win XP references. (I had to adjust everything when I got 'computer glasses' - but it was worth it).
Pooh, mon sweet:

(LOVE that new avatar, btw). Yes, I'd do that in a heartbeat, but I don't think I can mash my legs under the desk enough to make that work. I have an adjustable desk chair, which I've been playing with, to try to effectively do that, but I'll look into it. Good idea, wouldn't have thought about one of those, and I should have, given how much time I've spent over the years in architects' and engineers' offices. Thanks!

Hitch
Old 07-22-2014, 08:28 PM   #9
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

One other thought for a cheap adjustable sturdy table - there are work benches made that are adjustable for different projects - I'm not sure of their price but probably lower than ergonomic floating desks. You could use an old/used door as your desk, and attach it to the bench top - and adjust it for comfort.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:56 PM   #10
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
One other thought for a cheap adjustable sturdy table - there are work benches made that are adjustable for different projects - I'm not sure of their price but probably lower than ergonomic floating desks. You could use an old/used door as your desk, and attach it to the bench top - and adjust it for comfort.
Yes, I suspect that like badgoodDeb suggested, it's going to end up being something like that. I spent two hours today parsing keywords lists (my "other" job--that pesky, keep-the-company-running part), and my shoulders feel like my other half beat the crap out of them.

Hitch
Old 07-22-2014, 08:56 PM   #11
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

(Even a brand new door is cheaper than that ergonomic floating desk above, nifty as it is!)
Old 07-22-2014, 09:13 PM   #12
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Or something like this: http://www.amazon.com/TRACKSIDE-MX-L...table+platform under a door?

Some sort of scissor jack (ones rated for motorcycles - 300 pounds or bikes - around 100 pounds) under a door desk top? Quite reasonable priced at Amazon.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:36 PM   #13
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer

This one's at least got two legs (I saw it as "also looked at" from Pooh's item):
http://www.amazon.com/Venom-Motocros...productDetails
Old 07-23-2014, 03:05 PM   #14
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
This one's at least got two legs (I saw it as "also looked at" from Pooh's item):
http://www.amazon.com/Venom-Motocros...productDetails
Pooh, Deb:

Y'know, the second that showed up here, somehow, someway, it would migrate, slowly but surely, to one of the shops (indoor, outdoor) that are here at my house. My significantly not-better half has a magical ability to suck anything that can work in a shop from within the house to his spots. I had a wondrous, commercial-quality roasting pan that simply disappeared that way. And other things. So...nyet. I think it's a door for me. And maybe two stands beneath it. The issue is, I'm tall, with long limbs, and it's hard for me to find a flat surface that allows me the right arm-drop AND under which I can fit my legs. I don't know if the same is true for shorter folks. That's why I was seeking an ergonomic desk/workspace. I'll find something. Just frustrated.

Hitch
Old 07-23-2014, 03:16 PM   #15
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
You can't adjust it at the touch of a button like the Air Touch, but something like the height adjustable Ikea Galant desk/table line might be worth a look. Lots of ways to configure it and various accessories available as add ons...
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/ca...kspaces/18962/
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote