Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-28-2011, 01:43 PM   #46
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
Too me it is not a big deal. I found using the web on my K3 to be so bad, I've only used it once or twice.
A painful experience to say the least; so I don't use it.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:43 PM   #47
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Tubemonkey, if you *never* see the ads, how did you take advantage of all those offers?? You already paid off your KSO in offers you took *used,* right?

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2011, 01:46 PM   #48
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I do think Amazon should have been a little more clear about their pricing with this press conference (and in general). The website and the various versions/prices are getting pretty confusing to keep straight.
Yes, it's all very confusing! I posted this elsewhere at MobileRead, but here's a breakdown (for U.S.):

NO KEYBOARD BUTTONS:

$79 – NEW Kindle with page buttons + 5-way (no touchscreen) wi-fi only with special offers (ads) – 6" e-ink display
$109 – NEW Kindle with page buttons + 5-way (no touchscreen) wi-fi only with no ads – 6" e-ink display

$99 – Kindle Touch wi-fi only with special offers (ads) – 6" e-ink display
$139 – Kindle Touch wi-fi only with no ads – 6" display/e-ink

$149 – Kindle Touch free 3G+wi-fi with special offers (ads) – 6" e-ink display
$189 – Kindle Touch free 3G+wi-fi with no ads – 6" e-ink display

$199 – Kindle Fire – wi-fi only – full color 7" multi-touch display

KINDLE WITH KEYBOARD:

$99 – K3 Kindle Keyboard wi-fi only with special offers (ads) – 6" e-ink display
$139 – K3 Kindle Keyboard wi-fi only with no ads – 6" e-ink display

$139 – K3 Kindle Keyboard free 3G+wi-fi with special offers (ads) – 6" e-ink display
$189 – K3 Kindle Keyboard free 3G+wi-fi with no ads – 6" e-ink display

$379 – Kindle DX free 3G only – 9.7" e-ink display

Also, here are links to two new Amazon press releases:

Introducing the All-New Kindle Family: Four New Kindles, Four Amazing Price Points

Introducing "Amazon Silk": Amazon's Revolutionary Cloud-Accelerated Web Browser, Available Exclusively on Kindle Fire
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:47 PM   #49
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
nio not the wifi. i heard that the Fire might actually have a whispernet connection for delivering books/media to the device. i was saying if that is true they probably wont allow too much(if any) regular browsing over that whispernet. it might be restricted to just the amazon media sites. like when you choose the store it might connect over the whispernet instead of the wifi but if you bring up the browser itself it may only connect over wifi.
Hey, Dulin. I made the exact same mistake as you. I heard WhisperSync and thought WhisperNet, but I think the posters here are right. It looks like the Kindle Fire doesn't have any 3G hardware.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:52 PM   #50
lunixer
Addict
lunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3
I'm a little upset with the offerings. I never cared about the tablet, but was banking on a new generation of Kindle. Unfortunately the new generation has:

1) No way to customize screensavers
2) no way to customize fonts
3) Shorter! battery life (yes, the battery life is now advertised at less than the Kindle Keyboard, which seems to be identical to the K3)
4) No upgraded e-ink screen
5) Only one option for bezel color
6) No Epub support. (Not necessary, but it would be nice)

Okay, 1.5 ounces lighter than Kindle Keyboard (K3) is nice.

And the touch-screen offerings can only turn the page in each direction from one side. They also don't appear to have hardware page-turn buttons.

So, I really see no reason to buy one of these. In fact, I might go ahead and buy 2 or 3 of the Kindle Keyboards (KK?) just in case they decide to discontinue them when nobody is buying them anymore.

Please correct me if I got any of my above points wrong factually.
lunixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2011, 01:53 PM   #51
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
It's not gonna please everyone. Doesn't necessarily have to. Even I would have preferred a camera. Would that have really added to the price much? Not even a great camera, just one good enough for video chat. Front only, even. but..this is the first generation after all.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:57 PM   #52
blue_skies
Evangelist
blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue T62+; Boyue Mimas; and my old Kindle Keyboard
At the beginning of the video for the 3G Touch model, they say it has "always connected free 3G wireless". On the current keyboard version I have the 3G turned off most of the time otherwise it runs down the battery very quickly. Is it possible that they really don't allow you to turn the 3G off with the new Touch model? If so, I would expect battery life to be very poor in comparison to the keyboard 3G Kindle.
blue_skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:58 PM   #53
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_skies View Post
At the beginning of the video for the 3G Touch model, they say it has "always connected free 3G wireless". On the current keyboard version I have the 3G turned off most of the time otherwise it runs down the battery very quickly. Is it possible that they really don't allow you to turn the 3G off with the new Touch model? If so, I would expect battery life to be very poor in comparison to the keyboard 3G Kindle.
They have to allow you to turn it off, if for no other reason that you couldn't take it on an aeroplane otherwise.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 02:01 PM   #54
madmaxmedia
Connoisseur
madmaxmedia will become famous soon enoughmadmaxmedia will become famous soon enoughmadmaxmedia will become famous soon enoughmadmaxmedia will become famous soon enoughmadmaxmedia will become famous soon enoughmadmaxmedia will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony CLIE TG50
Software, content library, and delivery system are the main differentiators, just as for other types of devices. That differentiation is more than enough for Apple to succeed, and is more than enough for Amazon to succeed. I cannot imagine Sony or BN coming up with a more compelling total package for a multimedia tablet. I think the overall user experience on the Fire will be great.

Unless one of these companies invents a new e-ink display themselves, I think all the e-ink devices will likely feature similar hardware from here on out. The only one that could actually develop a new screen is Sony, and they would be competing against economies of scale of the existing screens everyone else uses. There is still the opportunity for alternative form factors, but as a general 1-size-fits-most device, the compact IR touchscreen format is pretty well optimized and will probably serve best for 90% of users. Amazon can get away with a sub-$100 price because they know they will sell millions. So from a hardware perspective, I think it will be hard for these companies to really differentiate this way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Stuart View Post
New Kindle Color Tablet hardware is almost a clone of the current Nook Color - only difference is dual-core processor (which is simply the current processor at the same price point paid by BN for a processor a year ago).

New Kindle E-Ink Tablet hardware is almost a clone of the current Nook.

It looks like Amazon is banking on the word "Kindle" as the Official Media Word for E-Reader (just as the media use "Tivo" instead of "DVR").

Software and "Sports Team" fanboy allegiance (Apple,Amazon,Sony,BN) seem to be the only differences in the future.

Obviously, BN will likely cut their prices by 20% to match Amazon...

Last edited by madmaxmedia; 09-28-2011 at 02:17 PM.
madmaxmedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 02:04 PM   #55
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
Tubemonkey, if you *never* see the ads, how did you take advantage of all those offers?? You already paid off your KSO in offers you took *used,* right?

eP
I access them from the menu once every 4 days; and only long enough to send the promo code to my email account.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 02:05 PM   #56
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_skies View Post
So, it looks like the Kindle Touch 3G no longer has a web browser. Under Experimental they only list Read to Me and Listen to Music and Podcasts.

I'm glad I have the keyboard version which gives me free 3G internet access when I need it.
All of the Kindle models can browse the web:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kindle_Touch_3G__Touchscreen_e-Reader_with_Free_3G_+_Wi-Fi,_6__E_Ink_Display,_3G_Works_Globally-.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	77081  

Last edited by tlrowley; 09-28-2011 at 02:08 PM.
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 02:06 PM   #57
madmaxmedia
Connoisseur
madmaxmedia will become famous soon enoughmadmaxmedia will become famous soon enoughmadmaxmedia will become famous soon enoughmadmaxmedia will become famous soon enoughmadmaxmedia will become famous soon enoughmadmaxmedia will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by llreader View Post
I'm in for the touch e-ink version (I don't want a tablet, and when I do it will probably be a more all-purpose one). The cheapest model looks good for casual reading of things like novels.

I need to do some research on how well the Kindle handles PDF files (I read a lot of journal articles in PDF format, unfortunately) and how easy it is to interface with Calibre.
On the current Kindle it's not too bad IMO (not ideal either but you knew that!) A lot depends on the layout size of the documents, but the Kindle interface for viewing in landscape and re-sizing is pretty good.

If your primary purpose for a reader is PDF, I think a color tablet would be better, here screen size matters. A $99 Touchpad would have been great deal.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:13 PM   #58
blue_skies
Evangelist
blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunixer View Post
I'm a little upset with the offerings. I never cared about the tablet, but was banking on a new generation of Kindle. Unfortunately the new generation has:
3) Shorter! battery life (yes, the battery life is now advertised at less than the Kindle Keyboard, which seems to be identical to the K3)

And the touch-screen offerings can only turn the page in each direction from one side. They also don't appear to have hardware page-turn buttons.
I too am disappointed that they seem to have gotten rid of the page-turn buttons. And I'm trying to figure out what the deal is with the battery life. In the detailed description section for the $79 model, they say:
Quote:
One Month Battery Life
No battery anxiety - read for up to one month on a single charge with wireless off and a half hour of reading per day.
For the two touch versions they say this:
Quote:
Two Month Battery Life
No battery anxiety - read for up to one month on a single charge with wireless off and a half hour of reading per day.
They obviously made an error here and I'm wondering if it's supposed to be one month or the two month battery life the keyboard models have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
They have to allow you to turn it off, if for no other reason that you couldn't take it on an aeroplane otherwise.
I hope so. I still think it's weird that they said "always connected" and adding to that the discrepancy with the advertised battery life, it really makes me wonder.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:19 PM   #59
madmaxmedia
Connoisseur

I think 'always connected' is meant to mean that you can connect via 3G from just about anywhere, as opposed to wifi where you need to be in range of a wifi network. So you can be in the middle of a desert and buy a book (hopefully there will be a cell tower within range...)
Old 09-28-2011, 02:21 PM   #60
blue_skies
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrowley View Post
All of the Kindle models can browse the web:
I didn't notice that. They no longer list it under experimental though (like they do for the Keyboard model) or mention anything other than buying books with the wireless service... so I'm still not convinced.
Click image for larger version

Name:	experimental features.JPG
Views:	255
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	77082