Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 08-03-2011, 12:44 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Whatever the class is you are using inside the blockquote has an indent. Set that to a text-indent: 0 and it will not be indented. I just tested this with Firefox and it worked fine.

Code:
<blockquote>
<p class="noindent">this is a test.<br/>This isn't a test.</p>
</blockquote>

.noindent {
    text-indent: 0
}
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 01:17 PM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Apologies for the slight digression, but isn't using the named entity "&mdash;" rather more readable than "&#8212"?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2011, 02:54 PM   #18
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
I'm not mixing up anything. You're simply doing a lot of strange assuming.

It doesn't. Period. I'm not converting anything yet. It's still in html form.

It's just basic html for Pete's sake. No other css or scritping whatsoever. Just basic 'blockquote' tags with 'br' at the end of each line except the last of course.
If you're not converting it then Calibre wouldn't be doing what you started this discussion for - any problems you have would be in your original html. You started this thread in the Calibre conversion sub-forum, and stating that you're having a problem with Calibre - apologies for assuming you wanted help converting things with Calibre....

Anyway if you solely want advice on html authoring follow JSWolf's advice...

Last edited by ldolse; 08-03-2011 at 03:00 PM.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 03:20 PM   #19
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Give this one more shot...

Here is some very simple HTML, no css:
Spoiler:
Code:
<html>
<body>
<h3>heading</h3>
<p>Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum</p>
<p>Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum</p>
<blockquote>
<p>Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.<br />
Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat.</p>
<p>Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur.</p>
<p>Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.</p>
</blockquote>
</body>
</html>

Add that to Calibre in a new book record.

Then convert, go to the 'Look and Feel' section, and paste the following lines in extra CSS:
Code:
p {margin-top: 0em; margin-bottom: 0.0em; text-indent:1.5em}
h3 + p {text-indent:0}
blockquote > p {text-indent:0;}
Make sure 'remove spacing between paragraphs' is NOT checked.

click OK to convert.

If you're converting to mobi (your first screenshot is of a mobi file and not html) then I suggest you not use the Calibre viewer to decide if your ebook is 'good' as Calibre will convert from mobi to ePub to load it in the Calibre viewer. Use the Kindle previewer for accurate rendering of mobi files.

That output looks like this on my machine:

Converted mobi file attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mobi_indents.png
Views:	331
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	75129   Click image for larger version

Name:	looknfeel.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	75132  
Attached Files
File Type: mobi blockquote test.mobi (9.4 KB, 133 views)

Last edited by ldolse; 08-03-2011 at 03:28 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:51 PM   #20
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldolse View Post
Give this one more shot...
You are very kind to go the extra mile. Be comforted in knowing that regardless, it didn't go to waste. I learned something by reading your comments, and for that, I thank you.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2011, 09:48 PM   #21
ldolse
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
You are very kind to go the extra mile. Be comforted in knowing that regardless, it didn't go to waste. I learned something by reading your comments, and for that, I thank you.
Glad it was useful to someone then
Old 08-06-2011, 09:36 PM   #22
Ransom
Banned
Ransom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle-3
I figured it out. It's one of those things so simple you can't imagine you didn't think of it in the first ten minutes. Now I know how Kary Mullis felt after he came up with PCR. (It was so simple an idea, he couldn't believe that no one else had already thought of it.)

You can't use a paragraph end tag before the block quote. Just use a line break instead and use the paragraph end tag after the block quote. That way the block quote won't be looked upon as a new paragraph and get automatically indented. This is true whether you use CSS to do the space removal/indents or allow Calibre to do it.

Duh! So simple....

Thanks for everyone's help!

Last edited by Ransom; 08-07-2011 at 01:10 AM.
Ransom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 09:44 PM   #23
Ransom
Banned
Ransom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Apologies for the slight digression, but isn't using the named entity "&mdash;" rather more readable than "—"?
There are at least three different codes for an Em dash in HTML that have been used over the years. Quite honestly, I'm not sure which is the latest or considered the more proper of the three. But the code I use seems to work everywhere no matter what, so that's why I use it. And it definitely works fine with Calibre.

Last edited by Ransom; 08-06-2011 at 09:48 PM.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:15 PM   #24
Ransom
Banned

By the way, for those looking for a simple way to make the block quote text stand out from the rest, I just use a 'sub' (subscript) tag. I think that looks better than anything else myself. This is exactly what I was after from the beginning: