Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 04-17-2009, 03:10 AM   #1
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
LaTeX and OpenOffice -> EPUB ? (Professional solution)

Hi,

I'm looking for a solution to convert LaTeX and OpenOffice files to EPUB.

I've discussed with authors and editors of the interest of the numeric version of a paper book and the BIG interest of the ebooks readers. Also, we talk about DRM...

So, someone has an experience of the conversion ?

Could help to improve the process of conversion (professional point of view) ?

Thanks for your replies or your help. This will help to have more ebooks

P.S. : I make this research only for help some people. No profit. I've only the hope to read some recent ebook in France and wrote in french
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 05:16 AM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
For OpenOffice, there is eScape (I don't know how "automatic" it is, though).

For LaTeX, I don't think there is an all-in-one solution. There are a couple of TeX->HTML solutions whose name I don't remember exactly (t4h? tex2html?), which may be a starting point.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2009, 06:55 AM   #3
YGG-
Dry fruit
YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Bookeen Opus + HTC Desire HD
Have you tried with LYX? => Html or .pdf.
YGG- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 08:17 AM   #4
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

HTML to EPUB ? A good idea but how to make that ?

The aim it's to obtain files in EPUB format for authors and editors.

I don't use LyX but I think LaTex or LyX it's the same problem : how to pass from HTML to EPUB with a minimal pain.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:50 AM   #5
YGG-
Dry fruit
YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Bookeen Opus + HTC Desire HD
Found this in Google ? :
http://www.bookglutton.com/api/docs/d/getepub
YGG- is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2009, 09:13 AM   #6
Randy11
Wizard

BookGlutton : Intersting !
I must try it. After, it's a commercial problem ... it's not mine problem
Old 04-17-2009, 12:27 PM   #7
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy11 View Post
HTML to EPUB ? A good idea but how to make that
?
ePUB is nothing more than zipped (X)HTML + CSS with some restrictions and metadata, so HTML to ePUB should be pretty straightforward. Try Calibre for that.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 12:59 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre directly converts openoffice files to epub
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 05:47 PM   #9
Randy11
Wizard

True ? Good news

I must confess that I haven't use your soft ... Do you conserve the page's layout ?
Old 05-06-2009, 07:00 AM   #10
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Good news Kovid. Was not aware of that but anything that supports Open Office is a good thing in my book.
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 02:01 PM   #11
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
Good news Kovid. Was not aware of that but anything that supports Open Office is a good thing in my book.
You will be happy to note that you can now create open office documents from our wiki pages.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 10:45 AM   #12
smurphy
Connoisseur
smurphy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.smurphy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.smurphy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
How about latex files ?
I have to admit that the output quality of latex written text is not equaled - wherever I look at. Using latex, all you have to do is concentrate on the content. After that - all you do is latex the file once to get all indexes out, and a second time to also have the TOC, appendix etc. included - Just great !

IMHO = that would be the best tool to write it. eventually the Lyx folks should write a plugin to export to ePub
smurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 10:57 AM   #13
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
If you want LyX to export to epub you'll either need to write the conversion tool yourself, or convince the developers to add it --- thus far there's been only one person requesting this feature on the LyX users mailing llist.

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:20 AM   #14
smurphy
Connoisseur
smurphy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.smurphy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.smurphy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-505
Well - it would be enough - IMHO - to have one person to write an eBook using Lyx, and show the results... You'd be amazed
Unfortunately, I'm no C++ coder - so it may get ugly. However Lyx could export to HTML, then the conversion to ePub should not be hard to implement. I'll see if there is a scripting capability to take care of that.
smurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 10:57 AM   #15
veysey
Enthusiast
veysey doesn't litterveysey doesn't litter

Device: Sony ?
Can't answer the question, but ...

I think there are two questions here. First, is openoffice, and Kovid answered that. Second, is latex, and that's interesting.

You can do a rough job with latex2html, but I don't know how clean that comes out. I haven't had great luck. IMHO what you really want to do is preserve links (to equations, references, toc, etc) in html and transform vector graphics -> svg and equations -> mathml (also svg) (and, of course, raster graphics as png). Then try converting that into epub ...

There are some tools out there that nibble on this problem (texvc and svglatex), but I'm not aware of any good solutions. (Is converting the entire document to svg a good solution? I can do that, but it's really no better than pdf. You need integrated html and svg.

You could also work through pdf intermediaries, since pdflatex is pretty advanced, but that creates other problems.

I'm keen to see what I can do with svg and html epub books, and to see how the prs-505 can handle svg (??) so I'll be playing around with this problem and will report back if I manage anything useful.

Addendum. This may be useful: http://www.w3.org/Math/Software/math...onverters.html

HEVEA (http://pauillac.inria.fr/~maranget/hevea/) looks particularly interesting.

Last edited by veysey; 09-04-2009 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Added links to tools
veysey is offline   Reply With Quote