Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Other formats

Notices

Old 03-13-2008, 08:00 PM   #1
poxi1023
poxi1023 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
OpenOffice to Palm eReader export macro

Hi all,
I'm quite new here, but I've read many posts here before.

I just wanted to let you know that I have written "odt2pml", a macro to export an OpenOffice Writer document to Palm eReader.

Quoting from my explanation:
odt2pml exports a Writer document into a "Palm Markup Language" tagged plain text file, ready to be processed by DropBook for Palm eReader.
odt2pml is WYSIWYG, within PML limitations: format your document as you like, and Palm eReader will show it mostly in a similar way. That includes character and paragraph styles, page breaks, chapter headings, footnotes, images and direct formatting (bold, italic, ...). Tables and text frames are not supported.
You may enable direct calling of DropBook in order to get a .pdb file ready to be synced to your handheld.
You may find it as an easy to install OpenOffice extension here:
http://extensions.services.openoffic...roject/odt2pml

I'll be happy to know if it is useful for you, and also if there are bugs or possible improvements!

Cheers,
Peter
poxi1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 09:07 AM   #2
eimert
Connoisseur
eimert doesn't littereimert doesn't litter

Device: Dell Axim X50v
Quote:
Originally Posted by poxi1023 View Post
Hi all,
I'm quite new here, but I've read many posts here before.

I just wanted to let you know that I have written "odt2pml", a macro to export an OpenOffice Writer document to Palm eReader.

Quoting from my explanation:
odt2pml exports a Writer document into a "Palm Markup Language" tagged plain text file, ready to be processed by DropBook for Palm eReader.
odt2pml is WYSIWYG, within PML limitations: format your document as you like, and Palm eReader will show it mostly in a similar way. That includes character and paragraph styles, page breaks, chapter headings, footnotes, images and direct formatting (bold, italic, ...). Tables and text frames are not supported.
You may enable direct calling of DropBook in order to get a .pdb file ready to be synced to your handheld.
You may find it as an easy to install OpenOffice extension here:
http://extensions.services.openoffic...roject/odt2pml

I'll be happy to know if it is useful for you, and also if there are bugs or possible improvements!

Cheers,
Peter
Hi Peter,

I am not sure I understand. What is the difference to the "save as pdb" built in OpenOffice.

Klaus
eimert is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2008, 09:37 AM   #3
poxi1023

Hi Klaus,

OpenOffice offers the possibility to save in "Aportis Doc (.pdb)" format. But you will notice that all special formatting (bold, italic, large, superscript, etc.) gets lost. No support either for images, footnotes, chapter index, links, etc. On Palm you will see only a plain text file - "Aportis Doc" limitation.

PML (eReader) offers all these possibilities, and that is the reason for my macro.

Cheers,
Peter

Last edited by poxi1023; 03-14-2008 at 05:11 PM.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:11 PM   #4
eimert
Connoisseur
eimert doesn't littereimert doesn't litter

Device: Dell Axim X50v
Quote:
Originally Posted by poxi1023 View Post
Hi Klaus,

OpenOffice offers the possibility to save in "Aportis Doc (.pdb)" format. But you will notice that all special formatting (bold, italic, large, superscript, etc.) gets lost. No support either for images, footnotes, chapter index, links, etc. On Palm you will see only a plain text file - "Aportis Doc" limitation.

PML (eReader) offers all this possibilities, and that is the reason for my macro.

Cheers,
Peter
Hi Peter,

I see - great idea! I never noticed that loss of formatting or maybe I just forgot - switched from Palm to PPC two years ago and didn't use pdb since then. I much prefer to read either rtf or html, now (using µBook). Coming to think about it, maybe the reason for preferring rtf is that my pdbs lost all the formatting in the conversion ...

CU,
Klaus
eimert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 05:05 PM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by eimert View Post
Hi Peter,

I see - great idea! I never noticed that loss of formatting or maybe I just forgot - switched from Palm to PPC two years ago and didn't use pdb since then. I much prefer to read either rtf or html, now (using µBook). Coming to think about it, maybe the reason for preferring rtf is that my pdbs lost all the formatting in the conversion ...

CU,
Klaus
eReader with PML formatting runs just fine on a Pocket PC. I believe uBook can read them as well (at least uBook lite mentions PML) PML by the way is Palm Markup Language.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2008, 08:38 AM   #6
FRDV
FRDV began at the beginning.

Device: Ereader / Tungsten T5
Hi Peter

Great job, I was searching something like this for long.

I tried your 3.1 macro with a fresh installation of OpenOffice (v2.3) under Windows and everythings worked well.

I have done a little change in function fnExportParaStyle to suit my own taste in paragraph formatting, in the following line:

Code:
if oPar.ParaFirstLineIndent > 100 then  'first line indented (more than 1 mm)
	'sStr = "\a160\a160\a160\a160" & sStr	'4 non-breaking spaces
	sStr = "\t \t" & sStr
I think this is better like this.

To be perfect, your macro need a little more thing: delete the \a160\a160\a160\a160 (or my \t \t) when there is nothing else behind it.

Fred
FRDV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 01:58 PM   #7
poxi1023

Hi, Fred,
thanks for trying out odt2pml! And thank you also for the suggestions. As soon as I find some time, I'll look into them.
Cheers,
Peter
Old 04-10-2008, 11:02 PM   #8
poxi1023

Hi, Fred,
finally I could look into your suggestions.

I like your first line indent very much - I didn't know that was possible. I'll put it into the next version of odt2pml.

I'm afraid I don't really see the point of your second suggestion. The end result, i. e. what you see on your Palm, is the same both ways - just an empty line.

Thanks for your suggestions, all are welcome!

Cheers,
Peter
Old 05-01-2008, 02:18 PM   #9
poxi1023

Hi all,
I just published version 3.2 of odt2pml. It includes bugfixes and improvements suggested by FRDV and others. FRDV made a french translation, included in this version. Thanks to him and to all who suggested improvements, reported bugs and voted for this extension!

I hope you will find it useful.

Cheers,
Peter
Old 05-03-2008, 04:58 PM   #10
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I really like your macro. It's the best thing I've found yet to build .pdb eBooks. The only problem I have is that I've a very large number of eBooks I've purchased from Baen that I want to convert using your macro but there doesn't seem to be any way to do them in bulk rather than one at a time.

Is it possible to get it to work for multiple files sequentially?

(I am programming challenged or I would try to do it myself)
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 01:42 PM   #11
poxi1023

Hi, Lemurion,
sorry, I have no idea about that. I am using my macro only to convert one single OOo document after another to .pdb, not multiple files in bulk.
I don't know about Baen either; are those files in OOo format?
Old 05-04-2008, 02:03 PM   #12
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
They are now-- they release them in .rtf and I was able to batch convert them to .odt pretty easily.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 07:28 PM   #13
poxi1023

I searched around on OOo's forum, the nearest I found is this thread:
http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=11793.
It requires some macro programming though...
Hope it helps!
Old 09-14-2008, 02:32 AM   #14
Robotech_Master
Fanatic
Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Can someone tell me how I actually use this? I've installed it into my OOo, but I don't see any additional export or save options for PML markup. If I go into Macro Selector, it will only let me choose a single macro from the whole bundle, then says wrong number of parameters.

What am I doing wrong?
Robotech_Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 01:00 PM   #15
Robotech_Master
Fanatic
Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK, I figured out the wizard.

But can anyone tell me what kind of formatting I need to apply to render a plain vanilla chapter header? Header 1 renders \X1 and Header 2 renders \X2. What turns into just orginary \x (for a regular chapter header/page break)?
Robotech_Master is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ereader openoffice.org