Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-17-2012, 12:58 PM   #1
Manisphere
Manisphere began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
T1 Skips paragraphs and repeats pages

My T1 has been working like a charm since Christmas. That is until yesterday when reading a book, I noticed that a couple of paragraphs were being omitted. It also repeated page 38 when turning the page. This problem wouldn't go away until I reuploaded the book to my device. Then the problem seemed to be gone. (I haven't really read since the reupload but the issue seems for now to be somewhat resolved)

The Sony online support had told me to do a hard restart which I didn't have time to do. And the book seemed to be ok after reauploading it.

Would a hard restart solve this kind of problem? Should I have to go that far? It seemed a bit drastic. Especially since I couldn't repeat the problem once I reuploaded the book. Do books occasionally have to be reloaded for this reason?

Any help or understanding of this device would be appreciated.
Manisphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 01:22 PM   #2
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I have experienced a similar issue twice with my T1. I got mine at product launch so that's about 3 months of use. Both times it occured near a chapter transition. I think the first time I just closed and reopened the book and the second time I just went to the table of contents and refreshed the chapter. I agree that a hard reset was not required.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2012, 12:37 AM   #3
pssquirrel
ebooknut
pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & Oasis
Interesting. I've had this happen 3 times (repeating pages). The first two times was with the same book, so I figured it was an isolated problem with that particular epub. But then it happened with a different book.

Both books were rather large (500+ and 900+ pages, respectively), so I'm wondering if that might have something to do with it.

In all 3 instances, closing the book and re-opening it solved the problem. What's more, after closing and re-opening the book, I couldn't reproduce the problem -- though I suspect it will happen again at some random moment.

Weird!
pssquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:47 AM   #4
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
One of my books was very large (a collection of 6 books). The other one I recall was more average (i.e. probably 300-400 page range).
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 04:51 AM   #5
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I had this happen (page wouldn't advance) in a book of 119 pages. I got my reader for Christmas. I have had the odd page jumping happen, but it also happens on my 350.

As this has only happened in one book, (out of maybe 20) I have to assume it is the book formatting causing it.
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2012, 06:55 PM   #6
Dusty
Connoisseur
Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony 300, T1
It could be the book.
Try running it through Calibre and convert it to its same format (epub to epub)
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 07:25 PM   #7
Manisphere

Thanks to all that have replied. I haven't been able to recreate the buggy behavior so far (luckily!). I had wondered if a Calibre conversion might fix it if it popped up again.

I thought I had read somewhere that some readers have trouble with large files? Maybe I misread it but this is a 400 page book and it's 6mb. Larger than most of my 700-1000 page books.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:37 PM   #8
diddy
Connoisseur
diddy began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
I encountered the problem several times. Suddenly a page completely out of concept shows up. Usually going back and forth several pages solved the issue for me.
diddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 11:05 PM   #9
bibahbuzemann
Addict
bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy View Post
I encountered the problem several times. Suddenly a page completely out of concept shows up. Usually going back and forth several pages solved the issue for me.
Yup, I've seen this too. You can change the font back to "Original" and everything's just peachy.

If you happen to use Calibre, with or without "embellishments", you might have less probs.
bibahbuzemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:02 AM   #10
Cryptopsy
Death metal!
Cryptopsy began at the beginning.

I have this same problem. First time I encountered this problem was a book with many pages (1027) although the filesize was only 1,75 MB. Just now the same thing happened with a book with +/- 400 pages. Closing the book, opening another, and than opening the first book again, solved the problem.

I wonder if Sony knows of this bug.
Cryptopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:08 AM   #11
Manisphere

Well, after what we all read yesterday, the more pertinent question may be, do they care?
Old 04-13-2012, 09:09 AM   #12
Cryptopsy
Death metal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manisphere View Post
Well, after what we all read yesterday, the more pertinent question may be, do they care?
Apparently I missed something? What are you referring to?
Old 04-13-2012, 09:13 AM   #13
Manisphere

Link
Old 04-13-2012, 09:22 AM   #14
Cryptopsy
Death metal!

Ah, I see. Well, maybe they will charish their customers even more and update their firmwares twice as much.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:56 AM   #15
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
This doesn't happen to me very often, but I recently it skipped a huge number of pages (I think I was on page 79 and it skipped to page 113). This happened with both the buttons and swiping. Closing and reopening the book did fix it.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote