Fictionwise 30 22.39%
Other (Specify in comments) 18 13.43%
iBooks 53 39.55%
Google Books 22 16.42%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-16-2011, 02:20 PM   #1
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Do-Not-Buy Store?

Companion poll to the other silly poll:

Are there any stores that you will not / do not / have never bought from?

POLL TO FOLLOW!
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 02:22 PM   #2
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For me, I never buy from Sony because I dislike having to use their Reader app interface. Just a personal preference, but I like to directly download books.

(I have used the Kindle for PC app, but because the BIG SALE was too much of a draw for me to turn up my nose at the application. Plus I'm told you can directly download Kindle books -- I just don't know how.)
Advert
Old 08-16-2011, 02:26 PM   #3
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Don't buy books from Amazon. (I buy other things there though.)
Can't buy books from Barnes and Noble.
Haven't bought anything from Smashworld or Fictionwise, but I would if they offered what I was looking for at the right price.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 02:26 PM   #4
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
I've never bought from Sony, B & N, Fictionwise or Smashwords. I've just never seen a reason to. I stay with Kobo and Amazon. I can usually get a good deal at one of the two. I just bought a book for $1.99 at Amazon that was $10 at Kobo.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 02:50 PM   #5
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I picked B&N. I'm not sure about their DRM.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2011, 02:55 PM   #6
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
I never buy from Amazon because I do not approve of their monopolistic tendencies or their closed eco system.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 02:56 PM   #7
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
I said B&N and Kobo, only because I have the Sony software already and I don't want to download any others. I hardly read bestsellers anyway so it doesn't matter much.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 02:58 PM   #8
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
I voted for all of them, I thought you were introducing the idea of a store where nothing is for sale, or perhaps a store that lists books that people should not buy...
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 03:11 PM   #9
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I voted 'other'. Your poll missed out Apple's iBook store. I haven't and won't buy from there because no-one's bothered to work out how to remove the DRM yet.

I think I've got books (or at least freebies) at some time from all the other stores mentioned, although Fictionwise and Amazon are the ones I have most from of those listed. (& webscription.net the most from those not listed.)
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 03:17 PM   #10
Mel
Connoisseur
Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android tablet
I gave up on Books on Board after the third time they erased large chunks of my wish list and my complaints were met with a "so what, you can put them back" attitude. When I had to wade through the arm-long list of Pratchett for the fourth time to figure out which ones were still to be purchased I decided it would be at a company where "The publisher needed to change the price" doesn't require the book being removed from inventory and then returned as a new book (or so the excuses went). Not to mention the number of special offer books that got locked up on my bookshelf when the special offer expired.
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 03:17 PM   #11
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I voted 'other'. Your poll missed out Apple's iBook store. I haven't and won't buy from there because no-one's bothered to work out how to remove the DRM yet.

I think I've got books (or at least freebies) at some time from all the other stores mentioned, although Fictionwise and Amazon are the ones I have most from of those listed. (& webscription.net the most from those not listed.)
Apple has a bookstore?

Sorry, you're right, I forgot all about iBooks.

Where's that mod with the scary clown face?
Old 08-16-2011, 03:18 PM   #12
apesmom
Wizard
apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova Air, Galaxy Note 10
Haven't bought from Sony because I don't want to deal with their PC reader app for downloads and I've never seen a deal from them that would make it worth the effort.

Don't buy from B&N (except freebies) even though my only device is a Nook. Because
1. Don't care for their restrictive flavor of DRM'd ePubs,
2. They are almost never the best price,
3. Don't care for their practice of manipulating their best seller lists to favor higher priced titles,
4. No coupon codes
apesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 03:21 PM   #13
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Never bought from Barnes and Noble as I don't have a Nook. I have a Sony reader, but am not allowed to buy from the Sony store as I'm from the UK. Never bought from smashwords, not for any particular reason though.

Will not buy from waterstones as they are over priced.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 03:30 PM   #14
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Have bought from Amazon, B&N, iBooks, Fictionwise, Sony, & Book View Cafe.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 04:00 PM   #15
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Barnes & Noble and I have an arrangement; they won't sell to me, so I won't buy from them. Simples!
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote