Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-14-2010, 05:25 PM   #1
Iphinome
Paladin of Eris
Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 10
Music Industy Lobbyist calls for death penalty for filesharing

Iphinome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 05:41 PM   #2
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Well, the MPAA once famously claimed that the VCR was equivalent to the "Boston strangler". They've also said in the past that they should not be required to provide proof of infringement.

I guess what these organizations really want is to have the power to execute people at will.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 05:48 PM   #3
Iphinome
Paladin of Eris
Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes well when people talk about the innocent artists just trying to make a living they ignore that this guy is the one getting the money. It's odd really, I thought a good parasite didn't kill its host.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:50 PM   #4
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
good grief. reality check anyone?
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 07:12 PM   #5
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo
Ok, I'm just waiting for a really good "In Soviet Russia.....the music industry kills YOU " joke
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 07:36 PM   #6
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
But what about radio? Or how about the local stores that play music? I could leave my home right now, walk half a block and find no less than three stores broadcasting music straight into the air---music that I can hear, without paying for it. So am I a criminal?
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 07:52 PM   #7
capidamonte
Not who you think I am...
capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: PocketBook 360 -- Ivory
I've watched this twice, and didn't hear it. Has the source been edited? Or is it in a later file?

cap
capidamonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 07:52 PM   #8
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iphinome View Post
I thought a good parasite didn't kill its host.
No, but a good con man will let people blame each other while they quietly stand by and steal from both of them.

I've been saying for a while that the copyright battle isn't consumers vs artists, it's really consumers and artists together vs distributors. Unfortunately, the con men in the middle have managed to misinform/confuse the issue enough that many consumers/artists think each other is the enemy.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 07:57 PM   #9
Roger Parkinson
Zealot
Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
But what about radio? Or how about the local stores that play music? I could leave my home right now, walk half a block and find no less than three stores broadcasting music straight into the air---music that I can hear, without paying for it. So am I a criminal?
Around here if a store plays music they owe the publisher a fee. I think it's a fairly trivial amount but store owners are often surprised when asked for it. The reasoning is that if you're using someone's work to enhance your business you ought to pay them for it. The buying of the CD or whatever does not necessarily license you to use it in this way, ie for private use is different, and okay. So no, you're not a criminal, but the store owner might not be squeaky clean, or might be, depends.

I'm not saying I agree with any of this, just explaining how it works here in New Zealand.
Roger Parkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:35 PM   #10
Iphinome
Paladin of Eris

Quote:
Originally Posted by capidamonte View Post
I've watched this twice, and didn't hear it. Has the source been edited? Or is it in a later file?

cap
No it isn't in part 1 but I figured anyone interested in the subject would want to start at the beginning. It's part 4 at 4:46. But I'm still hoping someone will watch the whole thing and parrot his arguments so I have a chance to refute them. Anyone arguing for more copyright extensions is scum in my book.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:41 PM   #11
Iphinome
Paladin of Eris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Parkinson View Post
Around here if a store plays music they owe the publisher a fee. I think it's a fairly trivial amount but store owners are often surprised when asked for it. The reasoning is that if you're using someone's work to enhance your business you ought to pay them for it. The buying of the CD or whatever does not necessarily license you to use it in this way, ie for private use is different, and okay. So no, you're not a criminal, but the store owner might not be squeaky clean, or might be, depends.

I'm not saying I agree with any of this, just explaining how it works here in New Zealand.
I actually see both sides of that argument, as it counts as a public performance in a way that girl scouts singing campfire songs just doesn't. The way i see it what's fair is if they play a CD or run it off their itnes it should count the same as a dance club. If they play the raidio leave them alone. The laws set rates and rules for radio and for whoever wants to listen that's been paid for by the radio station with their ad money pushing a store for having the radio on is just greed, double dipping is bad mmmkay.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:53 PM   #12
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iphinome View Post
No it isn't in part 1 but I figured anyone interested in the subject would want to start at the beginning. It's part 4 at 4:46. But I'm still hoping someone will watch the whole thing and parrot his arguments so I have a chance to refute them. Anyone arguing for more copyright extensions is scum in my book.
emphasis mine.

If you seriously posted the video in the hopes of starting another copyright argument it sounds like you need another hobby to fill your spare time!
PKFFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:55 PM   #13
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
So a hyperbolic joke about capital punishment is calling for the death penalty?
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:01 PM   #14
Iphinome
Paladin of Eris

I posted it to show what industry people are really saying. Trotting out people in a symphony who draw a salary and get probably a tiny amount of royalties from sold music truth be told given the market for such material and the fact that it would be divided up among 100 people and then claim a shorter copyright would rob them of their retirement. Everyone else need to set aside retirement money, pay into a pension stuff like that but the number 3 cellist will starve on the street if copyright is only 50 years!

So yes I want to shoot what he said down, I want people to see how absurd some of that stuff is. I want to win converts for copyright reform so they can write their lawmakers and at least try to bring some balance back. I want pepperland to be free but I'm not sure that last part will work out.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:04 PM   #15
Iphinome
Paladin of Eris

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
So a hyperbolic joke about capital punishment is calling for the death penalty?
You location says Asia, do you really find a comment about executing people funny in a place where they do execute people?