Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 01-13-2012, 11:51 AM   #1
jmlehrfeld
jmlehrfeld began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Making covers in conversion

Hello,

I am new to Calibre and I've watched the tutorials, but I have a question that I haven't been able to find the answer for. I'm converting from HTML to MOBI, and also from EPUB to MOBI, and in both cases the files must not have a cover associated with them, because I find that in the conversion process Calibre will pick a random image from the file and make it the cover of the book. I want to stop this from happening, but I can't find a preference anywhere in the conversion module to do this. Can someone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks!
jmlehrfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:58 AM   #2
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Making covers in conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlehrfeld View Post
Hello,

I am new to Calibre and I've watched the tutorials, but I have a question that I haven't been able to find the answer for. I'm converting from HTML to MOBI, and also from EPUB to MOBI, and in both cases the files must not have a cover associated with them, because I find that in the conversion process Calibre will pick a random image from the file and make it the cover of the book. I want to stop this from happening, but I can't find a preference anywhere in the conversion module to do this. Can someone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks!
Before you convert, add your cover of choice to Calibre's metadata for that book.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 12:03 PM   #3
jmlehrfeld

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Before you convert, add your cover of choice to Calibre's metadata for that book.
Thanks, I'll give that a shot!
Old 01-13-2012, 01:02 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlehrfeld View Post
Hello,

Thanks!
alansplace has the #1 choice
#2 choice is to use the Modify-EPUB plugin to slide in a replacement
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 04:25 PM   #5
jmlehrfeld

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
alansplace has the #1 choice
#2 choice is to use the Modify-EPUB plugin to slide in a replacement
Great, thanks to both of you for your replies. I haven't had a chance to test these yet but I'm sure I can get something going now. Thanks!
Old 01-13-2012, 07:28 PM   #6
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Consider adding the "Generate Cover" plugin to calibre. Its a useful little tool.

You can add it from the Plugin section of Preferences. Click the "Get Plugin" button at the bottom of the Preferences/Plugins page and scroll through the list.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:47 PM   #7
jmlehrfeld

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
Consider adding the "Generate Cover" plugin to calibre. Its a useful little tool.

You can add it from the Plugin section of Preferences. Click the "Get Plugin" button at the bottom of the Preferences/Plugins page and scroll through the list.
Awesome suggestion, this is what I am doing now. Thanks!

Tags
conversion, cover