Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-03-2011, 11:31 AM   #1
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Question At what age did your child start reading?

I have no children yet (but a dobie and my cat Lola, lol ) so can't give an opinion, but would like to know when your kid started reading or at what age you started promoting that.

I can't recall very well, but based on what my mom says, I was 4 years old.

Opinions from folks of different countries would be awesome. I've been told that can slightly varies from place to place.

jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:44 AM   #2
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
I dunno how to draw a clear line between reading and memorization for kids (which I don't have). My nephew started "reading" before age 2 if you count looking at flashcards without pictures and being able to say the word. He also was able to associate such words with actual things. So he could "read" the word "dog" off a flashcard and also recognize that the family pet was a dog.

He (my nephew, not the dog, lol) loves books. He'll grab a bunch of them, set them down by a grownup. That's our cue to sit down, so he can back into our laps and have us read together. It's the only time he'll sit still.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 12:06 PM   #3
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I started reading sometime around my 4th birthday (says my mom). Most kids in Croatia (I've noticed) don't learn until after they start school, which is at 6 or 7 years of age (I didn't grow up here, this is just what I've seem from friends' children).
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 12:13 PM   #4
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
I started reading sometime around my 4th birthday (says my mom). Most kids in Croatia (I've noticed) don't learn until after they start school, which is at 6 or 7 years of age (I didn't grow up here, this is just what I've seem from friends' children).
Interesting.

I've noticed that difference between some countries. Got no facts or statistics to say if has some influence or not in teenagers learning curve later.

Just saw a documentary about how education, here in north america, went down a little bit when comparing to some places in Europe, even ASIA. They even compared how many Chinese children read and write perfect English so early now.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:13 PM   #5
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
I'm guessing simple books around 4 or so. They could recite books from memory prior to that, but not actually read on their own until later.

We've always made reading part of the bedtime process from when they were first born and now that they're 10, 12 and 15 they still read before going to bed every night.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 12:15 PM   #6
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
I didn't start reading till after I started learning English in kindergarten. My parents never read to us, and it takes years for kids to get going in written Chinese.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 12:21 PM   #7
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goodbar View Post
We've always made reading part of the bedtime process from when they were first born and now that they're 10, 12 and 15 they still read before going to bed every night.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:42 PM   #8
Lt. Brannigan
Enthusiast
Lt. Brannigan is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Lt. Brannigan is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Lt. Brannigan is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Lt. Brannigan is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Lt. Brannigan is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Lt. Brannigan is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Lt. Brannigan is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Lt. Brannigan is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Lt. Brannigan is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Lt. Brannigan is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Lt. Brannigan is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Sony PRS350, Kindle Wi-Fi.
I was 3 years old when I started to read. Usually some Bible related history books, but I did read whatever Batman I could get my hands on.
Lt. Brannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 01:51 PM   #9
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
I started reading before I could read. Which is to say, my sister (who is six years older than me) would read books to me, which is the greatest favor anyone has ever done for me. I cannot remember ever not loving reading and books.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 03:45 AM   #10
Fastolfe
Bookworm
Fastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Sony PRS-650
My mom told me a funny story the other day: when I was very young - maybe 3, perhaps less, but at any rate way younger than proficient reading age, my parents had bought me Peter and the Wolf: it was a child's illustrated book and it came with a LP record of Prokofiev's music, overlaid by a narrator reading the story in the book.

According to my mom (I don't remember myself of course) I was completely enthralled by the story and I kept asking her to play the record over and over. And somehow, over time, I learned to turn the pages of the book at exactly the right moment in the recording.

One afternoon, one of my dad's colleagues came home to visit. At the time, I was listening to Peter and the Wolf again, and turning the pages to look at the pretty pictures in cue with the narrator.

My dad's colleague saw this and said "holy smoke, he can *read* already?", convinced as he was that I was following the record reading the text. So my dad, with his wry sense en humor, looked at him without flinching and replied "oh sure, he started a year ago or something" and matter-of-factly moved on to another topic. The guy's jaw dropped but said nothing more.

Apparently he repeated the incredible story of "Philip's genius toddler who could read before he could walk" at work, and the legend stuck at the office for years, much to my dad's amusement
Fastolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 06:49 AM   #11
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastolfe View Post
My mom told me a funny story the other day: when I was very young - maybe 3, perhaps less, but at any rate way younger than proficient reading age, my parents had bought me Peter and the Wolf: it was a child's illustrated book and it came with a LP record of Prokofiev's music, overlaid by a narrator reading the story in the book.
If your version of the book was the same as my version of the book (there was a remake in the late 1970s) that narrator was Otis Campbell, the Mayberry drunk.

ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 08:13 AM   #12
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
My daughter is 5, in kindergarten, and is "going through the process" right now. Some kids in her class can read, some cannot, and I expect my daughter will be reading by the end of the school year. Right now, she knows her letter sounds and she can sound out a word (most of the time) if she works very hard at it. She knows very few "sight words" (her name and that's about it). She is very typical for her age in terms of her reading skills.

I also had the experience with my niece where we were reading a book together, and she knew all the words and I thought she was reading until I took too long to turn the page and she kept on going. She was 2 at the time. My daughter has never done this: she doesn't memorize words much, but she can flip through a book and tell the story in her own words.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:17 PM   #13
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Both of my daughters were reading at four. Both my sons started reading at six.

An interesting side note: My older son has Asperger's Syndrome and I suspect he may have been reading earlier and I didn't know it. As it appeared, he went from not reading at all to reading at high school level practically overnight. He was reading adult material - newspapers, magazines - at the age of six. And I don't mean slowly sounding out words. He was reading them quickly and with comprehension. It was really bizarre.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:19 PM   #14
Belle2Be
Peace, Love, and Books
Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3(3g), NookColor
My 3 year old can "site read", but she can't phonetically read yet. She can tell some amazing stories though!
Belle2Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:34 PM   #15
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle2Be View Post
My 3 year old can "site read"
One of my 2 year old grandsons has lots of sight words. He loves to "read" books and will sit still looking through them for long periods of time. My other grandson, who will be 2 next month, won't even sit still long enough to have one page read to him. I guess reading age is somewhat dependant on personality.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote