Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 11-04-2013, 09:38 AM   #1
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Register a US Nook HD+ from Canada with a UK account?

The subject is confusing and so is my situation.

I currently reside in Canada and plan to purchase a Nook HD+ from the USA soon.

I previously bought a Nook ST in the UK last year and registered it while in the UK. It works fine in Canada and the UK.

So I have more than one question:
1) Can I attach a US Nook HD+ to my UK B&N account?
2) Can I attach it to said account while in Canada, or must I do it in the USA?
3) Alternatively, should I create a US account and register the Nook HD+ while in the USA? The only issue is that I will not have internet while I am there.
4) Maybe I can just totally avoid attaching / registering the Nook HD+ and root it?

I'm not really sure how the Nook registration process is limited by geography. Does it check my when I register the account, or does it check my ip when attach the device to the account? Confused...

Anyway, I think that covers it. Basically, I'm not sure of the best way to do it.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:11 AM   #2
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
The subject is confusing and so is my situation.

I currently reside in Canada and plan to purchase a Nook HD+ from the USA soon.

I previously bought a Nook ST in the UK last year and registered it while in the UK. It works fine in Canada and the UK.

So I have more than one question:
1) Can I attach a US Nook HD+ to my UK B&N account?
2) Can I attach it to said account while in Canada, or must I do it in the USA?
3) Alternatively, should I create a US account and register the Nook HD+ while in the USA? The only issue is that I will not have internet while I am there.
4) Maybe I can just totally avoid attaching / registering the Nook HD+ and root it?

I'm not really sure how the Nook registration process is limited by geography. Does it check my when I register the account, or does it check my ip when attach the device to the account? Confused...

Anyway, I think that covers it. Basically, I'm not sure of the best way to do it.
As far as I now the only check when registering is the shipping address of your account. That should be UK or US. You can register anywhere in the world.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2013, 11:44 AM   #3
jscarbo
Addict
jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW2, Nook HD+, Nexus 7
For what it's worth, I live in Central America but have a US mailing address and credit card. I bought my Nook HD+ a couple of months ago and had it shipped to the Miami address of a mail forwarding service I use.

I had no problem setting up a US-based account with B&N and registering my HD+ to that account. I've since purchased several books and magazines from them without any geo-restriction problems. I haven't tried to buy any apps from B&N, since I have full access to all the Google Play apps so I'm not sure how the Nook app store works outside the US. I'm not sure about opening a UK account but you should have no problem opening a US account and registering your Nook to it so long as you have a US address (even a temporary one) and credit card. You can use a prepaid VISA card for this.

If you decide to root it, I don't see any compelling reason to register it at all with B&N. There's nothing they sell in terms of content that you can't get elsewhere. I buy most of my ebooks from Amazon and read them in the Kindle For Android app on my HD+.

Although many people root their Nooks themselves, I think it's easier for most non-techies to buy a preconfigured sd card from AFN or N2A. They're available in dual-boot configurations or as replacements for the stock Nook OS. I like the dual boot card from AFN. It works perfectly and allows me to switch back and forth from Nook OS to Android without voiding the warranty or making any changes to the stock OS. If you want to use the SD card for storage as well as booting into Android, get at least the 16GB card or, better yet, the 32GB. You can buy the AFN cards from Amazon or directly from the developer: http://www.androidfornook.com/nook-shop
jscarbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:46 PM   #4
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Many thanks. I'll probably set up a B&N account with a US address, then try and register it in-store with the UK or USA account.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:38 PM   #5
jscarbo
Addict
jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW2, Nook HD+, Nexus 7
That should work but if it isn't convenient to go to a B&N store, you should be able to register it from any public wifi hotspot in the US or in Canada. Also, I again recommend that you consider getting a dual boot sd card from AFN or N2A. AFN is a little cheaper and their support is great.
jscarbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert