Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 02-04-2008, 01:47 PM   #1
jacksonunit
Sand Bender
jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Kindle1/iPhone/iPad/Droid/KindleDX/Kindle 3G/Kindle Touch/Kindle Fire
Howdy Howdy Howdy (I'm a Cowboy)...

Well hello there,

I was just reading all the great posts on mobileread.com (or "usurping info" as b0b would say) and I thought this looked like a MUCH better forum than the one I had been trying to get involved with where the moderator was all over me like a duck on a June bug.

A rude and angry duck.

...with a lousy vocabulary, delusions of grandeur and a mild case of paranoid schizophrenia, but then, I'm no psychotherapist. I'm not really a cowboy either, I just play one on over budget IT projects.

I write a lot, talk more than I write and read even more than that. My house is really just a multi-chambered bookshelf. I suffer from a mental disorder that keeps me from getting rid of books even if I don't like them or want to read them. (Actually, other people suffer from it. I actually enjoy it.) I guess you could say I have a vague and superstitious notion that if I destroy a book I would have to invade Poland or something.

Just the other day my wife THREW AWAY a copy of a Masonic Bible that belonged to her father because she said it was "just too weird". She THREW IT AWAY! I was taught that if you drop a book with the word "bible" printed on it, you should pick it up, kiss it and put it away gently.

Different strokes I guess.

Anyway...

I've read well over a hundred ebooks on Palm and Widows Mobile devices. I read my Treo 680 so much that it kind of aggravates me when a call comes in and interrupts the story. I had heard about the Kindle a few months back and thought it was a pretty cool gadget for somebody like me. When I heard about the free EVDO connection I made up my mind.

Last Monday (Jan 28th) I decided I was ready to get one and went to the Amazon site hoping to be able to get it in time for the weekend.

Right now I'm working on my "Things I Should Have Read in High School Had I Attend More Regularly" reading list so maybe I'll have a chance to finish Moby Dick BEFORE my Kindle gets in.

aj

Last edited by jacksonunit; 02-04-2008 at 01:49 PM.
jacksonunit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 02:32 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Welcome to MobileRead, jacksonunit!

Your self description sounds eerily familiar. Somehow I have a suspicion that you and I will get along well.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2008, 04:36 PM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi jacksonunit and welcome to the Forum
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 06:40 PM   #4
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonunit View Post
...Right now I'm working on my "Things I Should Have Read in High School Had I Attend More Regularly" reading list so maybe I'll have a chance to finish Moby Dick BEFORE my Kindle gets in.

aj
G'day aj,

I read 'Moby Dick' not all that long ago. It was actually a very approachable read, and somewhat reads like a gonzo documentary on whaling of that period - quite enjoyable, and I definitely recommend it as a good starter for that list. I'd also recommend 'Heart of Darkness' by Joseph Conrad (it's a novella, and one which a couple of friends commented on as being "boring", but I enjoyed it, and if you've seen 'Apocalypse Now' you'll at least get interest out of the connections).

I've got almost exactly the same type of list as yours. I just read G.K.Chesterton's shortish 'The Man Who Was Thursday' and enjoyed the style and story very much. However ,I don't think Proust's 'In Search of Lost Time' is going to be quite as easy to read.

Cheers, and welcome,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 12:10 PM   #5
jacksonunit
Sand Bender
jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Wow!

Marc,

That's almost freakish. "Man Who Was Thursday" is in my top ten all time favorites and my wife just finished "Heart of Darkness".
Advert
Old 02-05-2008, 12:20 PM   #6
Cyndall
Cyndall is on a distinguished road

Device: sony 505 and 700
Hi Jacksonunit, welcome to the forum. It's a bit addictive......and I already had way too many addictions before finding this place. :-)
Cyndall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 07:32 PM   #7
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonunit View Post
Marc,

That's almost freakish. "Man Who Was Thursday" is in my top ten all time favorites and my wife just finished "Heart of Darkness".
Okay, let's see how freakish we can get...

Is your next book on your reading list..."The Dummy's Guide to Ear and Nose Hair Removal"...because if it is, I'm gonna shout "Twilight Zone!" and go hide in my closet?

I'd be interested in what your wife thought of 'Heart of Darkness' because, as mentioned, some friends ("well-read" friends too) told me that for a short book they thought it was the longest and dullest book they'd ever read. Me, I disagreed - I did think it was "steady", like a slow boat up a muddy viewless river into very gradually increasing "darkness", but obviously in a good way appropriate to its story.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 11:35 AM   #8
jacksonunit
Sand Bender

I have to be honest. The DGE&NHR was not even on my list but I'm bumping it to the top on your recommendation.

Catherine said "Heart of Darkness" gave her a mild case of Stockholm Syndrome about halfway through. I remember she stayed up late a few nights to finish it and kept waking me up by whispering "dammit" every so often.

I did the same thing recently with Cormac Mcarthy's "The Road". I could not wait to be done with the wretched thing but I couldn't just stop reading it either. As a matter of fact, I'm in the market for some good Adams-esqe humor just to the the taste out of my brain.

Andy