Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-20-2012, 03:19 PM   #1
multiprose
Connoisseur
multiprose can extract oil from cheesemultiprose can extract oil from cheesemultiprose can extract oil from cheesemultiprose can extract oil from cheesemultiprose can extract oil from cheesemultiprose can extract oil from cheesemultiprose can extract oil from cheesemultiprose can extract oil from cheese

Device: kindle
touch very unresponsive

is there a way to calibrate the screen? i tried a factory default reset and a firmware update and wiping down the screen but nothing helps. any ideas?

by the way, does a factory hard reset automatically unroot the device? in case i need to return it. thanks
multiprose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:44 AM   #2
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
maybe gently clean the touch sensors around the bevel?
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2012, 01:06 AM   #3
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Try using canned air and blow all around the perimeter of the glass good where the infrared beam is. If anything is lodged there, dust built up from dusting and it gets pushed around the edge, etc., it will mess up sensing your movements over the glass.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 02:50 PM   #4
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
Try the cleaning with the air around the inside near the bezel, but I can't imagine it would get that dirty so fast. I have 6 dogs & my house can get rather dusty. My screen is responsive.

When did your screen become unresponsive? I don't root my devices but I'm wondering if that may have something to do with it. JUST speculating here.

If none of this is relevant, then I'm wondering if you have a defective device. How long have you had it?

Last edited by Pomtroll; 01-21-2012 at 03:05 PM.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 03:26 PM   #5
multiprose
Connoisseur
multiprose can extract oil from cheesemultiprose can extract oil from cheesemultiprose can extract oil from cheesemultiprose can extract oil from cheesemultiprose can extract oil from cheesemultiprose can extract oil from cheesemultiprose can extract oil from cheesemultiprose can extract oil from cheese

i had it for one day. i rooted it and the screen was fine until a day later when it started being very problematic. i then did the SD card rescue thing to unroot it and the screen was instantly fine again. however, exactly a day later again, the screen started being unresponsive again.

where is the infrared thingy at?
Advert
Old 01-22-2012, 09:45 AM   #6
seabee
Connoisseur
seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by multiprose View Post
i had it for one day. i rooted it and the screen was fine until a day later when it started being very problematic. i then did the SD card rescue thing to unroot it and the screen was instantly fine again. however, exactly a day later again, the screen started being unresponsive again.

All around between the screen surface and the plastic borders. But I never had a single problem with it (since november 1st), never had to clean it in any specific way (normal screen cleanup once in a while). If you ask for repair, never tell you rooted it.
seabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 07:46 PM   #7
atze
atze began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:

I have this same problem. It improves a bit when I reset the reader. After some reading it gets worse again. It won't work reliably at all when I read in halogen light and it won't work at all when reading in tungsten light like in the local Coffee shop. I'm quite disappointed with the touch screen. I never rooted mine.
atze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 01:00 PM   #8
multiprose
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by atze View Post
I have this same problem. It improves a bit when I reset the reader. After some reading it gets worse again. It won't work reliably at all when I read in halogen light and it won't work at all when reading in tungsten light like in the local Coffee shop. I'm quite disappointed with the touch screen. I never rooted mine.
you've hit the problem right on the head. it took me 3 days to finally realize that there was a method to the t1's madness. for me, since i always read at the same place at the same time each day, i finally realized my t1 doesn't do well in sunlight, but does magnificent in artificial light which i use at night (i don't know what kind i have though).
Old 01-24-2012, 03:27 PM   #9
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
...i finally realized my t1 doesn't do well in sunlight, but does magnificent in artificial light which i use at night (i don't know what kind i have though).
That's odd, I have a PRS-350 and it works flawlessly in the sunlight for me, I read outdoors in the summer almost daily and often with direct sunlight hitting the screen. Did they change something about the infrared in the T1?
Old 01-25-2012, 03:50 PM   #10
multiprose
Connoisseur

well i'm not sure if the tech is the same, but just to clarify i don't read it with sunlight hitting it directly. i have binds to shade me from the sun and i find this most comfortable for using the reader. perhaps i'll try using it without the shades so the light hits it.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:01 PM   #11
multiprose
Connoisseur

ok this problem is peculiar indeed. this is the 5th day i've had the same result of the reader not working when i'm trying to use it sitting on the living room couch with the sun behind me and blinds shading me.

HOWEVER...

when i let the sun in, the reader works magnificently just like it does in my room on evenings. this led me to believe that the reader works only in a well lit environment (since the sun is obviously more powerful than artificial light). i tested this hypothesis by sitting in my closet in the dark to use the reader... and it works there as well -.-

LO AND BEHOLD... when i close my blinds i have the problem again... yet it can work in my dark closet.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:55 PM   #12
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
Quote:
ok this problem is peculiar indeed. this is the 5th day i've had the same result of the reader not working when i'm trying to use it sitting on the living room couch with the sun behind me and blinds shading me.

HOWEVER...

when i let the sun in, the reader works magnificently just like it does in my room on evenings. this led me to believe that the reader works only in a well lit environment (since the sun is obviously more powerful than artificial light). i tested this hypothesis by sitting in my closet in the dark to use the reader... and it works there as well -.-

LO AND BEHOLD... when i close my blinds i have the problem again... yet it can work in my dark closet.
I assume you mean with a light on it while in the closet. The readers do need good lighting in order to read on them. Only back lit screens do well in muted & dark lit areas.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 05:36 PM   #13
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Mine is very acceptable - apart from the grey-scale on the browser, need really good light conditions to be comfortable.....
Of course they need light - but that goes for all e-ink screens, not just Sony.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 06:21 PM   #14
multiprose
Connoisseur

no i wasn't testing it's readability in my closet. i was testing whether or not the touch screen was as responsive in a closed dark closet with no light. this was in order to see if the infrared function is affected by differing lighting conditions. as of now, it seems that atze and i are the only individuals that have voiced this concern which is interesting
Old 01-25-2012, 06:42 PM   #15
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder

There's definitely something odd going on with your reader (aside from the possibility that they changed some inner workings of the touch activation mucking it up). But you're having very odd issues indeed.

When I first started reading outside I even was testing whether having the screen half lit with direct sun and half in shade would cause any issues, and the touch worked perfectly there too (and surprisingly was still a joy to read, the contrast was excellent on both the sunlit half and the shaded half). Reading indoors I haven't had any issues under fluorescent, incandescent, or CFL lamps. I just dug up an old halogen lamp I don't use anymore, and it works perfect under that as the sole light source as well. And I stood in my totally dark closet just for the heck of it, works perfectly there too, responsive on first swipe under all conditions no matter where I am.

So for my reader, the light source, quality, quantity, glaring sun or total darkness or split screen with different lighting on it, has zero effect on the infrared touch for me. It works perfect under all conditions. I'm at a loss why yours is being so weird.