Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-28-2011, 10:05 PM   #1
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
What Book Covers Do You Hide?

I had some free time in between classes a few days ago, and was ready to tuck my CMOS 16th into my bag to fill the gap when shame struck a mighty blow. I have a reputation to protect after all. So I grabbed the cover to Company Man, a nice big hardcover remainder I grabbed on impulse some months ago but haven't gotten around to starting, so that I could camouflage my nerdiness. Although not a perfect fit, it did the trick. I even memorized a little of the large print from inside the jacket in case someone asked me if it was a good read (believe it or not, my resulting opinion was very positive and more than a little generic).

Have you had any printed pleasures guiltworthy enough to conceal underneath a red herring lately?
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 10:17 PM   #2
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
One of the advantages of reading on an ereader, no one can tell what you're reading. I can't think of any paper books that I've actually hidden, maybe if I was reading some sort of paranormal romance (very, very rarely, and only if it's otherwise a good book), I might twinge about people seeing it.

Since I mostly read Sci-fi, modern fantasy, Lovecraftian horror, mixed with a bit of King, Koontz and others, I don't really have much reason to hide what I read.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2011, 10:38 PM   #3
penguinaka
Quack! Quack!
penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.

Device: kindle 3 & sony daily prs950sc
lol paranormal romance!
penguinaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 11:04 PM   #4
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
One of the advantages of reading on an ereader, no one can tell what you're reading.
It's a downside too. I had a little fun that day guarding my secret.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:32 AM   #5
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."
— Dr. Seuss

Anything else isn't worth any respect.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2011, 07:58 AM   #6
Marseille
Guru

I am someone who enjoys keeping the occasional secret, so I imagine the Dr. approves.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:10 AM   #7
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
The only ones I used to hide were the ones with sheep on the cover. Now that I have a Nook Color, no one knows what I'm loo..., er, reading.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 04:10 PM   #8
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguinaka View Post
lol paranormal romance!
What's with the LOL?
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 08:32 AM   #9
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Naughty, naughty tubemonkey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
The only ones I used to hide were the ones with sheep on the cover. Now that I have a Nook Color, no one knows what I'm loo..., er, reading.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 08:58 AM   #10
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
I went to parochial school for my entire pre-college schooling. They were rather, er, closeminded when it came to literature. I always caused a stink by walking around my school reading Salinger or Walker or even some Faulkner because those were not deemed appropirate for a high schooler to be reading. Enjoyed every minute of it, and ended up writing my honors thesis in college on Faulkner. That experience taught me to read things I would be proud to have people see me reading. Its not a literary snobbishness - quite to the contrary, as i actually grew to be this way by standing up for my rights as a reader.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote