Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-18-2012, 09:20 AM   #1
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Classic Short Story Collections

Does anyone have any suggestions for out-of-copyright short story collections?

I've been reading old classics as backup backup books on my iPod, when I have no other reading matter to hand, but that's so rare that I think I ought to try short stories instead. I'd like them to be collections so I can count them as a book when I'm done (for reading challenge purposes).

The sorts of things I'd be looking for would be:

The Sherlock Holmes collections - I've already read several of these, but have no idea where I got to in the canon.
Poe's Tales of Mystery and Imagination - I might give this one a go. I think I've read a lot of the stories separately over the years.
Conan - Again, I'm not really sure what I've read of Howard's Conan stories.
Cthulhu - I don't know if there is a canonical set of collections for Lovecraft? I have the complete works, but that might be too much.
M.R. James - I'm not sure I want to be creeped out in the situations when I'll be reading from the iPod (doctors' waiting rooms, etc.)
Lord Dunsany - Available on Gutenberg, but not actually out-of-copyright in the UK. If I do read them, I'll probably want to keep it quiet, which doesn't work for my reading challenge.

Any other suggestions?
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:41 AM   #2
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Saki, Nathaniel Hawthorne, and O. Henry all have short story collections available here at mobileread.

Also Guy de Maupassant.

Last edited by BenG; 03-18-2012 at 10:44 AM.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2012, 10:57 AM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
You need to check out our library here, full of wonderful authors in the public domain.

Check first to see if you're allowed to download.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:30 AM   #4
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
This site links to several others showcasing public domain short stories, fun for a browse:

http://www.classicshorts.com/links.html
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 12:06 PM   #5
MrTeatime
Connoisseur
MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350
See sig - you can probably count it as 13 books
MrTeatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2012, 03:22 PM   #6
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
I always have some Damon Runyon stories handy - a good light read for when I don't feel in the mood for anything else.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 03:27 PM   #7
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
Pick up the Chekhov collection in MrTeatime's sig. It's not for nothing that Chekhov is acknowledged as the master of the short story.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:29 PM   #8
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
201 is probably too many. But there's no reason not to get it.

Thanks for the suggestions.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:30 PM   #9
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
I always have some Damon Runyon stories handy - a good light read for when I don't feel in the mood for anything else.

Mike
There's a MR collection of Damon Runyon here on MobileRead, I wrote a glossary and introduction for it (which I deliberately and explicitly place in the Public Domain). But Runyon is not life + 70 P. D. yet (died 1946)
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:05 AM   #10
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Searching for anthology in MR ebooks gives a few pages of choices

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:57 PM   #11
brianj6
brianj6 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'brianj6 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'brianj6 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'brianj6 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'brianj6 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'brianj6 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'brianj6 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'brianj6 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'brianj6 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'brianj6 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'brianj6 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: kindle
There's a Kindle collection of Robert E. Howard tales available!
brianj6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:50 PM   #12
flipreads
Connoisseur
flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Edgar Rice Burrough's stories (Tarzan, John Carter, etc.).
flipreads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:33 AM   #13
Nancy Fulda
I write stories.
Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
You can also try Project Gutenburg.
Nancy Fulda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:20 AM   #14
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
This is free (but only with another purchase), but Delphi Classics has a collection called Masters of the Short Story.

Includes 22 short stories from authors such as Tolstoy, Dostoyevsky, Thackeray, Wilde, Dickens, Chekhov, Conrad, Kafka etc...

Anyway - in case it helps: http://delphiclassics.com/shop/
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:20 AM   #15
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
If you like Robert E. Howard, you should know that he has several other cycles of short stories in the Public Domain as well.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote