Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-06-2010, 06:59 PM   #1
BrookeJ
BrookeJ began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Calibre immediately freezes?

I posted this question to the Calibre "bugs" site, but they couldn't help me, and suggested I post it here. Hopefully some one can help!

I have done a new install from your website as of 10-3-10. It installs successfully, and asks if I want to launch. Once Calibre opens, within seconds, it freezes, and I get a Windows error message that Calibre has stopped working, and it closes the program. I have tried rebooting, uninstalling, and reinstalling, with the same result everytime. I have checked my C drive for any leftover calibre files, and the search shows none. I am running Windows Vista Home, on a HP Pavillion laptop.

They asked me to run calibre-debug -g, which resulted in the following result:

This is what was displayed after I typed in calibre-debug -g in command
prompt:

Starting up...
Started up in 2.45599985123

Then it opened up Calibre, which promptly froze as before.
BrookeJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 07:13 PM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
It might help if you linked to the ticket in the bug tracker‚ so that we can see the relevant discussion there.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2010, 11:09 PM   #3
BrookeJ

Here you go...thanks!
http://bugs.calibre-ebook.com/ticket/7062#comment:3
Old 10-07-2010, 04:43 AM   #4
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

I'll ask this before I go ahead: Are you comfortably finding (and, perhaps, changing) values in Windows' registry?
Old 10-07-2010, 09:43 AM   #5
BrookeJ

Yeah, my husband is a computer person, and has no problem doing that.
Advert
Old 10-07-2010, 11:23 AM   #6
Manichean
Wizard

Great. Could you post the value of the key
Code:
HungAppTimeout
in
Code:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Desktop
It's just a hunch, but I suspect that Windows may have been set to wait too short a time for a program reaction.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:46 PM   #7
BrookeJ

Okay, when I got off of work, I went through the path you told me, and there is a lot of stuff there, but no HungAppTimeout registry.
Old 10-08-2010, 02:30 AM   #8
Manichean
Wizard

That's weird, but it could be the cause of your problem. Please have a look in
Code:
HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\ControlPanel\Desktop
for the same entry. Also, please double check that it really doesn't exist in the first location. If you're sure it doesn't exist in either location, create a new entry in both locations, type should be string (the type that has the "ab"- icon- sorry, I'm on a german version of Windows here), and set it to the default value of 5000. Reboot and retry.
I probably don't have to tell you that if you muck around in your registry, Bad Things could conceivably happen, right? So please, be careful.
Old 10-09-2010, 03:31 PM   #9
BrookeJ

Here is the debug message I am getting now:

C:\Users\Brooke>calibre-debug -g
Starting up...
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\update.py", line 34, in run
File "site-packages\mechanize-0.1.11-py2.6.egg\mechanize\_mechanize.py", line
209, in open
File "site-packages\mechanize-0.1.11-py2.6.egg\mechanize\_mechanize.py", line
236, in _mech_open
File "site-packages\mechanize-0.1.11-py2.6.egg\mechanize\_opener.py", line 191
, in open
File "urllib2.py", line 407, in _open
File "urllib2.py", line 367, in _call_chain
File "site-packages\mechanize-0.1.11-py2.6.egg\mechanize\_http.py", line 729,
in http_open
File "site-packages\mechanize-0.1.11-py2.6.egg\mechanize\_http.py", line 706,
in do_open
URLError: <urlopen error [Errno 11001] getaddrinfo failed>
Started up in 4.02799987793
Old 10-09-2010, 06:23 PM   #10
Manichean
Wizard

Well, we got a different error message, that's some progress.. From what I can tell, Calibre thinks that it started, is it working or showing any windows? If it's still broken, I'm afraid you'll have to wait for the resident gurus to finish their meditations. The only thing I can tell you is that it can't open some URL, that might be related to the version check.
Old 10-09-2010, 06:26 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
that error just means the version check failed, as per the rest of the log, calibre is starting normally.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote