Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-21-2008, 09:58 AM   #1
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
Esquire printed magazine. Now with an E Ink cover

Quote:
First Esquire had to make a six-figure investment to hire an engineer in China to develop a battery small enough to be inserted in the magazine cover. The batteries and the display case are manufactured and put together in China. They are shipped to Texas and on to Mexico, where the device is inserted by hand into each magazine. The issues will then be shipped via trucks, which will be refrigerated to preserve the batteries, to the magazine’s distributor in Glazer, Ky.
NYTimes

E Ink is going to shine as the cover for 100.000 esquire magazines. That'd be a flashing, changing cover on a "classic" printed thing.

(so tempted to buy one, just to hack the cover)
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 10:16 AM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
brilliant !! i hope someone in the US will buy one and take some photos for us !!!

you should definitely buy one and hack the cover, and let us follow every step !!!
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 10:21 AM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I was actually planning to buy and ship them to anyone who can't get it locally.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 10:22 AM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

wow, that's really nice of you Nate !
Old 07-21-2008, 10:37 AM   #5
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Is this really an eInk display on the cover of the magazine, or some other technology that is being made by EInk Corp? The article mentions... rudimentary technology... in two years I hope it looks like cell phones from 1982... already being used in supermarkets for displays. That doesn't really sound like eInk. Current eInk displays are expensive. I can't see how the economics would work putting them on magazines. I assume it's some other display technology that just happens to be made by EInk Corp?
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 10:39 AM   #6
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Is this really an eInk display on the cover of the magazine, or some other technology that is being made by EInk Corp? The article mentions... rudimentary technology... in two years I hope it looks like cell phones from 1982... already being used in supermarkets for displays. That doesn't really sound like eInk. Current eInk displays are expensive. I can't see how the economics would work putting them on magazines. I assume it's some other display technology that just happens to be made by EInk Corp?
larger screensize eink is expensive. Maybe the small sizes screens are cheaper? Or the sponsors paid big bucks?
Or maybe it's the leftovers?
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 10:50 AM   #7
zelda_pinwheel

well, in the article, they do mention that they had to find a big sponsor because it was very expensive to produce.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:56 AM   #8
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's Eink. What's even better is that there will be 2 pages, not one. The inside cover is Eink and will have an ad from the sponsor, Ford.

I made a few calls, and there are 3 ways I might get the magazine.

The first is to place a volume order for a single issue at a cost of $7.00. The downside is this option might not be available until after the magazines are returned from the newsstand and the batteries might be dead.

The second is to buy a one year subscription for $8. Upside is that you are guaranteed a copy within days of release. Downside is the other eleven wasted issues. If anyone wants this option, it's best to do it now.

The third option is to buy each copy of the newsstand for $4.00 each, but I can't guarantee that I will find enough copies for everyone.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:04 AM   #9
zelda_pinwheel

a one year subscription costs only 8$ ? how many issues are there ?

edit : never mind.. "11 wasted issues". that seems really cheap for a full year's subscription, seems like the best option if you live in the us. you could donate the other issues to a library or something. (or doctor's office...)
Old 07-21-2008, 11:09 AM   #10
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

There are 12 issues. But that doesn't include shipping outside the USA, which costs $1 more per issue. Or sned it to me, and I will forward the single issue.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:10 AM   #11
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
It's Eink. What's even better is that there will be 2 pages, not one. The inside cover is Eink and will have an ad from the sponsor, Ford.

I made a few calls, and there are 3 ways I might get the magazine.

The first is to place a volume order for a single issue at a cost of $7.00. The downside is this option might not be available until after the magazines are returned from the newsstand and the batteries might be dead.

The second is to buy a one year subscription for $8. Upside is that you are guaranteed a copy within days of release. Downside is the other eleven wasted issues. If anyone wants this option, it's best to do it now.

The third option is to buy each copy of the newsstand for $4.00 each, but I can't guarantee that I will find enough copies for everyone.

Nate, the article said they'll be newsstand only - not subscription. I'll check the local B & N and see when the Sept is due to arrive. I'll buy what I can afford....

Hey, maybe this is where all those eink displays were going....(e-reader shipments down - e-ink display shipments up....)
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 11:12 AM   #12
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Nate, the article said they'll be newsstand only - not subscription. I'll check the local B & N and see when the Sept is due to arrive. I'll buy what I can afford....
Oops. Thank you. I missed that detail.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:12 AM   #13
kaas
Muncher of ebooks
kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Pocketbook 360
Nate,

that would be great! while I don't have a credit card, I use paypal frequently. I would be more than willing to transfer 20 - 50 USD or so to you for the above mentioned goal
kaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 11:14 AM   #14
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
that's pretty rude ! you pay for a whole year in advance, and they don't even send you the stylie special edition issue ? i'd be mad.

Quote:
Hey, maybe this is where all those eink displays were going....(e-reader shipments down - e-ink display shipments up....)
hmmm... you may be on to something !
Old 07-21-2008, 11:32 AM   #15
proee
proee began at the beginning.

Device: treo
Segmented not graphic display

I suspect that this eink display will be a segmented type as opposed to a high resolution graphic type. Therefore you could probably expect a few frames of animation or flashing text. Don't expect to hack this into an ebook reader peoples... But very cool, and I want the first copy.
proee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duck!