Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-30-2012, 10:54 AM   #1
onetoomany
onetoomany began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Wireless sync

I have just got myself a Touch. I want to read the newspapers on it during my commute in the mornings - however, the official kobo store does not do newspapers in the UK and, short of emigrating, I am trying to work out a plan B.

One solution is Calibre which does a good job at turning the newspapers into an ePub. I can use the browser to go to my home server:8080 and download every day. Downside is that this is several menu options deep, and a bit of a fiddle every morning.

Is there a one-button sync that I can do to get today's newspapers onto my Touch? Happy to install 3rd party mods etc... if that's what it takes. I'm assuming that this might be a sync with Calibre via ftp / http, but very open to other ideas.

Thanks

R
onetoomany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 01:05 PM   #2
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
As of now there isn't.

But you could install the Plug-ins available from -ah. So that you can have button to open the browser right in the home menu.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 01:37 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Could you just attach the Kobo via USB and do a transfer before leaving for the commute?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 05:51 PM   #4
onetoomany
onetoomany began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
As of now there isn't.

But you could install the Plug-ins available from -ah. So that you can have button to open the browser right in the home menu.
Just installed -ah mods, and set the browser home. Seems to be a good 90% compromise and works well. I'll drop a request onto his thread for a one-button and an automated sync which would make my perfect 100% solution.

Quote:
Could you just attach the Kobo via USB and do a transfer before leaving for the commute?
Not ideal - my server is in the darkest depths under my stairs, and I want to get the content when staying away as well.

Thanks both for your advice.
onetoomany is offline   Reply With Quote