Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 01-20-2010, 09:30 PM   #31
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
My first thought was "Quothe the Raven"

But, since everyone was excited about doing the detective stories, I'd figured I'd take one of his famous detective stories. Purloined Letter was famous wasn't it? Or is it just known by weirdoes like me.
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:31 PM   #32
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxx6166 View Post
My first thought was "Quothe the Raven"

But, since everyone was excited about doing the detective stories, I'd figured I'd take one of his famous detective stories. Purloined Letter was famous wasn't it? Or is it just known by weirdoes like me.
Just you Only joking.

How about 'Got Poe?' as a modern riff on the 'Got Milk' campaign, we could do a really cool cover with that title.

Got Poe? - 22 Scintillating Tales Inspired by Edgar Allen Poe....and milk
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gotpoe.png
Views:	288
Size:	297.1 KB
ID:	43921  

Last edited by Moejoe; 01-20-2010 at 09:36 PM.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2010, 09:38 PM   #33
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Is that your cool cover? =)
Old 01-20-2010, 09:39 PM   #34
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Quote:
Is that your cool cover? =)
God no! It was just a bit of fun He hasn't even got a milk moustache in it.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:40 PM   #35
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
I just read an article that said Holmes is in copyright in the US until 2023. Would this complicate things?
The vast majority of Holmes is in the public domain in the US. Only the Casebook of Sherlock Holmes was published after 1923, and only some of it was original to that book.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2010, 09:42 PM   #36
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
The vast majority of Holmes is in the public domain in the US. Only the Casebook of Sherlock Holmes was published after 1923, and only some of it was original to that book.
We could do a whole series then, one a month Got Poe? Got Holmes? Got Dickens? Got Bronte?
Old 01-20-2010, 09:42 PM   #37
jaxx6166
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
That still makes things complicated. I think we should stick with Poe for now.

MoeJoe - I didn't think so. Not only is he missing a milk mustache, he also isn't getting his eyes picked out by Ravens :-)
Old 01-20-2010, 09:44 PM   #38
jaxx6166
Wizard

MJ - I like it.

As long as the community keeps reading, I'll keep writing and editing.

So - Poe for right now. It gives us a broad enough range to target so there will be something for everyone. Once submissions have been sent in, we can do a MR wide vote for title and cover.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:45 PM   #39
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Sorry! I assumed that because Gutenberg has all the books, it was fair game

I do still want to do detective stories though. Who else wrote detective stories?
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:46 PM   #40
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
Sorry! I assumed that because Gutenberg has all the books, it was fair game

I do still want to do detective stories though. Who else wrote detective stories?
Edgar Allen Poe, but whatever we chose, you can still write a detective story. It's all about your interpretation, your take on the character or the writer, or one of the writer's ideas.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:49 PM   #41
Moejoe
Banned

So who do we have so far?

Jaxx
Me
Ficbot
Montsnmags
Elfwreck

Am I missing anybody out?
Old 01-20-2010, 10:06 PM   #42
Verencat
Wizard
Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.

Device: xxx
Holmes is PD in Canada and we have a Canadian server... just sayin'.

By the way Jaxx, Complete Sherlock Holmes . a wonderful read, if you decide to give it a try.

Glad we'll have a new writer's craze!
Verencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:08 PM   #43
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verencat View Post
Holmes is PD in Canada and we have a Canadian server... just sayin'.

By the way Jaxx, Complete Sherlock Holmes . a wonderful read, if you decide to give it a try.

Glad we'll have a new writer's craze!
Are you joining us, it'd be great if we could make this more than just English, maybe some stories in French and German, Spanish maybe?
Old 01-20-2010, 10:09 PM   #44
jaxx6166
Wizard

Who may submit works: Anybody and everybody.

For purpose of this anthology, all works will be licensed under creative commons/non-commercial

Length: Up to 10,000 words. While I'd prefer all submissions to be in the range of 1500 - 6000, I can understand if people need to go shorter or longer. This should give you ample room to tell your story.

Genre: Any, as long as it's inspired by Poe.

Submissions will close March 1, 2010 at midnight EST.

Payment: None.

Please, no gratuitous sex and violence that has no bearing on the story. No racist or other bigoted stories. No child, animal, or inanimate object sex (consensual or not)

In short, use common sense.

Please email or PM all submissions in either RTF or DOC format. Include MR Anthology in the header.

In your submission please include pen name(or user name), acknowledgements, and whatever contact information you want (Got a new book out? Link to it. A blog? Same deal.)

Email address to send correspondence is my username at yahoo.

Last edited by jaxx6166; 02-12-2010 at 03:29 PM. Reason: updated guidelines
Old 01-20-2010, 10:10 PM   #45
jaxx6166
Wizard

Did I miss anything?