Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-17-2012, 08:09 AM   #31
Mike Hobart
Enthusiast
Mike Hobart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike Hobart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike Hobart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike Hobart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike Hobart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike Hobart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike Hobart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike Hobart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike Hobart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike Hobart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike Hobart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
There used to be three bookshops that I regularly patronised in my home town. One has closed down and is now a discount pharmacy. Another put in a coffee shop and now feels more like a shop that sells books rather than a bookshop. The third sells a lot of stuff for the younger demographic, featuring a lot of comics and paranormal romances.

I have to say I don't get in to a bookshop much at all these days.
Mike Hobart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:13 AM   #32
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Earlier in the year - but only because I found an unused Waterstones gift card from Christmas 2010... I don't think I visited a bookstore at all last year, and possibly not the year before either.

Last edited by petermillard; 03-17-2012 at 08:13 AM. Reason: Spelling
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2012, 09:45 AM   #33
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
Not since Borders went bust - the whole business and the near loss of big gift voucher reallt soured my bookstore feelings (I used to love them). But I have been to a 2nd hand book sale.
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:32 AM   #34
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
I belive you may mean "bonsai" meaning "tray plantation" whereas "banzai" is long live as in long live the Emperor (lit. 10.000 years).

This thread begs the question; Will our children's children even know what a book store is?
I believe you may mean "raises the question" whereas "begs the question" is a logical fallacy or circular reasoning (cf http://begthequestion.info/)

(sorry, I had to do it!)

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:53 AM   #35
bevdeforges
Addict
bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Sony PRS600B; Sony 350; Sony T-2
Last summer when I was visiting in the US I spent some time in Barnes & Nobles, browsing their selection and noting down interesting titles to buy later for my Reader. Didn't feel bad because B&N is pushing their Nooks. Now, if they'd only let me buy e-books from their online store, everyone would be happy. (Can't buy from them because I live overseas - not that I'm above hacking the system....)
bevdeforges is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2012, 10:58 AM   #36
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
I believe you may mean "raises the question" whereas "begs the question" is a logical fallacy or circular reasoning (cf http://begthequestion.info/)

(sorry, I had to do it!)

eP
Ahhh, the limitations of using a foreign language. Idioms are always the hardest to use correctly. I stand corrected.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:30 AM   #37
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Both experience are inclusive, I think.

I must admit I buy most of my computer books at Amazon. This is not only because is more convenient and cheap, but because B&N computer book selection "is a joke" (sorry, but that's the true)

However, when talking about socialization, having fun, going out, nothing can or will replace visiting a mortal brick store like B&N.

Last time was like 3 days ago and I go almost all weekends. I don't buy books every time I go there, but I certainly spend some bucks in the store.

Also even though I can check Amazon reviews online and read some chapters for free, it its more interesting for me to check book covers or book's spine and compare titles myself. That's easier to do (or more fun) with a physical book.

I'm also addicted to caffeine .. and there is always a Starbucks inside B&N. While not the best Colombian coffee, it is still coffee.

Last edited by jocampo; 03-17-2012 at 11:33 AM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 12:16 PM   #38
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Last Wednesday at Joseph-Beth Booksellers... My daughter got two books, including an autographed copy of Article 5.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 01:24 PM   #39
Salgueiros
Eudaimonia
Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T2, Sony PRS T3, Sony DPT-RP1
I never stopped going to bookstores (good bookstores). They are fantastical places still, full of wonderful things to read and with an above average concentration of interesting people.
Salgueiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 03:06 PM   #40
Fozzybear
Enthusiast
Fozzybear is that somebody.Fozzybear is that somebody.Fozzybear is that somebody.Fozzybear is that somebody.Fozzybear is that somebody.Fozzybear is that somebody.Fozzybear is that somebody.Fozzybear is that somebody.Fozzybear is that somebody.Fozzybear is that somebody.Fozzybear is that somebody.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G
I was in one today, though I didn't buy any books as I'd just been into the library and borrowed a couple (Patrick DeWitt's Sisters Brothers and a guide book on Small Woodland Creatures).

I don't think bookshops have really deteriorated as such, though when Waterstones closed one of the two stores here they closed the larger one that actually held a decent range of books in favour for the small store on the High Street that has a pretty poor range in comparison (the old shop was fantastic as it was quite large and airy but still jam-packed with shelves of books), I think it's more that with online stores offering such a vast selection it becomes more obvious that regular-sized physical stores can't offer the same choice. If a bookshop has an intelligent attitude towards book choice and is well laid-out then it can still be a compelling experience though, there are some tiny bookshops I love to look around as they have such interesting books and browsing amazon is no comparison to exploring a good second-hand bookshop - you never know what you might turn up there.

Last edited by Fozzybear; 03-17-2012 at 03:11 PM.
Fozzybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 04:47 PM   #41
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Borders was the last 'New' bookstore and that was last year.
I have been in a couple of Used Book Stores in the last 6 months.

All my local 'good' (stocked my tastes, easy to locate those) stores have closed or turned into Not so Good stores
The 2 Big Name, Neighborhood Video stores have also closed.
We have Fry's and Walmart, Target for Video and Books (At least Fry's has a fair computer book section. Nothing like Computer Literacy Books had )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:15 AM   #42
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
As far as purchasing new books, I usually visit my local comic book shop at least once every other week. I also stop by my local Barnes & Noble about once a month, mostly for magazines and manga (I'm currently reading the manga "Afterschool Charisma").

Although I like shopping on line, sometimes I still enjoy going to my local bookstore and browsing the racks in the hope of finding a gem. Also, some types of books, like trade paperbacks, are still best on paper.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 02:51 AM   #43
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
The last time I was in a bookstore was just over a year ago.

Last edited by DreamWriter; 01-22-2014 at 01:58 PM.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:28 AM   #44
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Ahhh, the limitations of using a foreign language. Idioms are always the hardest to use correctly. I stand corrected.
Don't worry - 99% of people who have English as their first language use "begs the question" the same way you did. So you were correct with the common current usage.

Andrew
andyh2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:18 AM   #45
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy tab
I was about to say it was almost a year ago, but realized I was in Hastings last weekend, but it was so my daughter could buy a DVD, so I'm not sure that really counts.

I only went two or three times in the year I lived in the same town as a bookstore. I am used to living in small towns without bookstores and when I do get to town I have other things to do so I can get home without spending 12 hours in town. I usually picked up my pbooks at other outlets while I was going about my business, such as the grocery store and Walmart. Now I hardly even look at their selections. I have shopped for books online so long it is most natural for me, both p and e editions.
mrscoach is offline   Reply With Quote