Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 09-21-2009, 10:09 AM   #16
MelC
Evangelist
MelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS600
My two cents are that I would like to keep something in the "contemporary" field just not limit it to "free" or "MR". There are lots of terrific books out there that don't fit into these other genres which would make great MR Book Club selections. I'm open to translating that into a "Bestsellers" or "Pullitzer/Booker Prize" type category though.

Also, I would like to keep at least one month dedicated to MR Authors since that is part of what this site is all about.

Mel
MelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:30 AM   #17
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
How about...

January 2010 - Science Fiction

February 2010 - Romance

March 2010 - Nonfiction

April 2010 - Humor

May 2010 - Classic

June 2010 - Any book by a MR Author

July 2010 - Autobiography/Biography

August 2010 - Bestseller or Award Winner (needs more defining)

September 2010 - Mystery/Thriller

October 2010 - Horror

November 2010 - Fantasy

December 2010 - Any book uploaded to MR (or could be for Historical Fic or something else)

Last edited by AnemicOak; 09-21-2009 at 10:39 AM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:32 AM   #18
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
This looks like a good schedule. If a book from a series is nominated, please make it book #1.

January 2010
Science Fiction/Fantasy
February 2010
Mystery/Thriller
March 2010
Nonfiction
April 2010
Humor
May 2010
Classic
June 2010
Any book uploaded to MR
July 2010
Autobiography/Biography
August 2010
Any book not at MR
September 2010
Mystery/Thriller
October 2010
Horror
November 2010
Science Fiction/Fantasy
December 2010
Any book uploaded to MR
How about just one month for Science Fiction, and another for Fantasy?

And any book not available at MR? That is waaaaay to broad. And the two months of any book available at MR might be too much. That's also pretty broad.

I also wouldn't mind seeing a "Romance" slot...
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:34 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelC View Post
My two cents are that I would like to keep something in the "contemporary" field just not limit it to "free" or "MR". There are lots of terrific books out there that don't fit into these other genres which would make great MR Book Club selections. I'm open to translating that into a "Bestsellers" or "Pullitzer/Booker Prize" type category though.
Trouble is, last time we had "contemporary fiction", pretty much every book which was nominated was NOT in that genre!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:43 AM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I see you left off Romance. Is this just because you don't like it or was there another reason?

Historical Fiction might be a nice genre to consider.

`
You might want to fix your quote. I've changes things a little since then.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:44 AM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Trouble is, last time we had "contemporary fiction", pretty much every book which was nominated was NOT in that genre!
I tried to keep that on topic. But it didn't work and we don't need the hassle again.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:46 AM   #22
MelC
Evangelist
MelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS600
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I seem to recall that the difficulty was that we started out with too many other restrictions - I think it either had to be free or an MR author or something else that made it difficult to find something that fit the category and by the time that restriction was abolished the poll was too far gone. I think if we focus on bestsellers or prize nominees we can make it a little easier for people to identify books.

Mel
MelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:46 AM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

OK, I'll give it yet another go. All but the ones uploaded to MR can have DRM if that's how the voting turns out.

January 2010
Science Fiction/Fantasy
February 2010
Mystery/Thriller
March 2010
Nonfiction
April 2010
Humor
May 2010
Classic
June 2010
Any book uploaded to MR
July 2010
Autobiography/Biography
August 2010
Any book not at MR
September 2010
Mystery/Thriller
October 2010
Horror
November 2010
Science Fiction/Fantasy
December 2010
Romance (uploaded to MR)
Old 09-21-2009, 10:49 AM   #24
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Something else to consider. Not sure if it would be better or not (maybe get more participation) if the nomination voting was done further ahead.

Example: If January was Science Fiction month then the nominations/voting would take place in November (instead of December). Nominations would last for 3 weeks with the rest of the month for voting. On December 1st the book is then been decided on and folks have a little more time/flexibility to get to it.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:52 AM   #25
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I would not mind replacing the 'any book not at MR' with an 'Award Winners' theme. Not picky about which award---Booker, Pulitzer, Nobel, whatever. But I think it would be really nice to read some award-winners and I think 'any book not at MR' is too broad.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 12:52 PM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
I would not mind replacing the 'any book not at MR' with an 'Award Winners' theme. Not picky about which award---Booker, Pulitzer, Nobel, whatever. But I think it would be really nice to read some award-winners and I think 'any book not at MR' is too broad.
True that can be a bit broad. But it gives people a chance to put up anything they want.
Old 09-21-2009, 01:01 PM   #27
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
How about the below changes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
OK, I'll give it yet another go. All but the ones uploaded to MR can have DRM if that's how the voting turns out.

January 2010
Science Fiction/Fantasy
February 2010
Mystery/Thriller Romance
March 2010
Nonfiction
April 2010
Humor
May 2010
Classic
June 2010
Any book uploaded to MR Mystery/Thriller
July 2010
Autobiography/Biography
August 2010
Any book not at MR
September 2010
Mystery/Thriller
October 2010
Horror
November 2010
Science Fiction/Fantasy
December 2010
Romance (uploaded to MR) Any book uploaded to MR
The Romance genre is a very popular genre (especially, in February) and would be a match for February, just as Humor is for April.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 01:02 PM   #28
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
How about adding a Wild Card Month where you can nominate anything, no matter the genre?
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 01:06 PM   #29
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
How about adding a Wild Card Month where you can nominate anything, no matter the genre?
That's kinda what August (Any book not at MR) and Dec. (Any book ul'd to MR) would be on Dreams modded list.
Old 09-21-2009, 01:14 PM   #30
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
That's kinda what August (Any book not at MR) and Dec. (Any book ul'd to MR) would be on Dreams modded list.
We were typing at the same time and I didn't see her list until after I posted.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote