Sony PRS-300 6 11.11%
BeBook 6-inch 4 7.41%
BeBook Mini 5 9.26%
Cybook Opus 5 9.26%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-08-2009, 03:34 PM   #1
The-eBook-Reader
Groupie
The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: All
What's The Best New eBook Reader In The UK?

Now that residents in the UK have access to the Kindle 2, what do you think is the best deal for a new ebook reader there?

After fees and shipping the Kindle International costs a total of £215 - £223.

The PRS-600 sells for £229 and the PRS-300 sells for £159, both before checkout.

BeBook costs £199 for the 6 inch and £179 for the 5, both priced before checkout.

The Cybook Opus is £215 from Bookeen's website, although I've heard it's supposed to sell for £199 somewhere else (I forgot where).

So what do you think the best option is? Kindle has free wireless, but it's only for Amazon.com's ebooks--for now--and you can only buy ebooks from them.

The rest work with Adobe Digital Editions and offer pretty much the same DRM-ed reading material, but with much less titles to choose from than Amazon.com.

Which one would you buy?
The-eBook-Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 09:47 AM   #2
The-eBook-Reader
Groupie
The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Still no votes for Kindle, yet? Surprising . . .
Advert
Old 10-09-2009, 09:52 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Nobody has the international Kindle yet, so one cannot judge it. I shall do so, against my Sony and Opus, when mine arrives. Until then, I lack sufficient data to do so.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 09:54 AM   #4
Tuna
Zealot
Tuna has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Tuna has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Tuna has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Tuna has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cool-ER
You've missed out Cooler, and Borders ereader.

And an option for 'none of the above, I have a reader already'

And another one for 'I'm waiting for some future product before I buy'
Tuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 02:52 PM   #5
jbjb
Somewhat clueless
jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPhone 6 Plus
It would be interesting to see what the result would be if the Sony 505 was included in the mix. Seems to me that there are many reasons why this would still be the best reader for some.

/JB
jbjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2009, 03:34 AM   #6
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Yup, I'd recomment the 505 for the UK, too, had it been nominated. Mine came from WH Smiths in London; no hitches here in France, a superb machine, and the price was not at all bad (though I've since added refinements like a mains charger (essential, I think) and a swish soft leather cover (not essential, but it makes the reading experience even more enjoyable). The Kindle, I feel, is too restricting in many ways as far as content goes. Amazon has Kindlers by the short and curlies. Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 07:53 AM   #7
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Although I own a BeBook, I think out of the currently available readers I'd recommend a Sony to any friends/family thinking about buying one. I just don't like the idea of vendor lock-in which you get with the Kindle especially now Sony has added EPub support. It seems the Sony readers are now about as open as any general reader would need.

As for me, I prefer the BeBook with OpenInkpot.

I bet the kindle sells really well though, Amazon have such a customer base that just a few ads on their site will draw people in.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 09:10 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I think once people see how the selection of eBooks (for the Kindle) outside the USA is lacking compared to Amazon in the US, they will either cancel their orders or be rather disappointed.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 10:45 AM   #9
The-eBook-Reader
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I think once people see how the selection of eBooks (for the Kindle) outside the USA is lacking compared to Amazon in the US, they will either cancel their orders or be rather disappointed.
I don't know. The UK has access to 280,000 ebooks from Amazon.com, with 70,000 under $5.99. That's still far better than anyone else in the UK. And it probably won't be long, less than 6 months I'd imagine, until Amazon sets up Amazon UK for ebooks. They say they're already working on it. They just wanted to rush the release of the Kindle International to beat iRex and Barnes and Noble's new ereaders to the punch.

I think the bigger concerns will be over DRM restrictions and limited format support. Most people in the UK are used to using Adobe Digital Editions for purchasing encrypted ebooks, and those already purchased ebooks won't work on a Kindle.

Last edited by The-eBook-Reader; 10-10-2009 at 11:51 AM.
Old 10-10-2009, 10:50 AM   #10
The-eBook-Reader
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbjb View Post
It would be interesting to see what the result would be if the Sony 505 was included in the mix. Seems to me that there are many reasons why this would still be the best reader for some.

/JB
I agree that the 505 is probably a better deal and ereader compared to most, but it's already starting to disappear. A number of UK websites that used to carry it no longer have it available anymore. You can still find it. But for how long . . .
Old 10-10-2009, 11:17 AM   #11
JayCeeEll
Connoisseur
JayCeeEll doesn't litterJayCeeEll doesn't litterJayCeeEll doesn't litter

Device: PRS-300
I am waiting for the UK version of the Kindle before making a final decision. I have very limited funds and the machine will have to last me at least 3 years.

There is a quiet voice in my head that is hoping the international version of the Kindle is a big success, but that Amazon get a lot of complaints about regional restrictions, which they then dump on the publishers.

Maybe Amazon will also get some grief about epub as well.
JayCeeEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 11:50 AM   #12
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-eBook-Reader View Post
Now that residents in the UK have access to the Kindle 2, what do you think is the best deal for a new ebook reader there?
Given Sony's upcomming wireless-connection reader? Ask me again after that hits. Right now, I'd want a PRS-505: They do precisely what I want and they're going cheap.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 11:56 AM   #13
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The tail-end of an interview I gave to The Tainted Archive, a UK-based blogger, lists the most popular e-book readers in the UK (don't know if the list is backed up by figures, or just impressions).
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 05:49 PM   #14
alecE
Evangelist
alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs505, prs650, kobo Glo HD liseuses
If I was buying a new reader I'd want to buy a 505! but failing that, then the 600 looks good. No way am I going to buy a reader that locks me into a non-epub format and feeds my paranoia about having content deleted in the still watches of the night :-(
alecE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 06:21 PM   #15
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCeeEll View Post
There is a quiet voice in my head that is hoping the international version of the Kindle is a big success, but that Amazon get a lot of complaints about regional restrictions, which they then dump on the publishers.

Maybe Amazon will also get some grief about epub as well.
I think at the very least, the increasing success of ebooks is going to influence how future contracts are negotiated. There may not be much to be done about many back catalog books but hopefully going forward publishers will realize that the issue of international digital rights should be settled up front. There's a real incentive for that now.

I agree on ePub as well. With B&N opening a big ePub store selling books that can be read on pretty much every other device except the Kindle, I would hope that Amazon would see the value in opening up to multiple devices. I'm finding it a bit amusing seeing companies like Sony and B&N using the same tactic Amazon used on Apple. Bezos has said that they would consider other devices but that it was important that they got to control the level of service. Their model of delivery is tied into the convenience of Whispernet and I think the only way they can offer free wireless is if they know you're going to be buying from them. I suppose they could do that if they placed limits on the wireless, busted it down to just store and Wikipedia, maybe charged bandwidth fees for anything else, but that would be sad. After all, Sony's just offering store access. This would be so much easier if we didn't have such a fractured telecom system with providers that seem committed to the model of high flat monthly fees.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle uk, uk ereaders