Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 06-07-2010, 08:45 PM   #1
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Going back to December Firmware Upgrade

Dear All:

Several people have noted a desire to go back to the December Firmware Upgrade. It is presently NOT on www.theEZreader.com; but it is still up on: www.astak.com

Here is the problem in a nutshell. The March and April firmware upgrades added a much-requested Visible Clock. There was no second battery for this clock and it runs off the main battery. Therefore, it significantly shortens the battery charge life.

IF you shut off the device, then the clock does not run and needs to be reset. If you leave the device on, you do not need to reset the clock but you will get significantly less battery charge life.

That is the choice IF a clock is important to you! You can choose not to go with the clock. That would be the December Firmware Upgrade mentioned above.

I am always honest with you and this is what we have right now. We hope the factory can solve this choice in the future. But, right now, I recommend using the December Firmware Upgrade and I am sorry. At least you know where to find it: www.astak.com
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 09:08 PM   #2
Acreo Aeneas
Kobo Aura
Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Could it be possible to have the factory program a virtual on/off switch for the "visible clock"? That way for those of us who don't want the new visible clock (like me), we can switch it off and reclaim our battery life?

Also, when is the clock supposed to show up?
Acreo Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2010, 09:16 PM   #3
jpt
Enthusiast
jpt began at the beginning.

Device: OLPC; Nokia 770; White EZ Reader Pocket Pro; Bookeen Cybook Odyssey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
Could it be possible to have the factory program a virtual on/off switch for the "visible clock"? That way for those of us who don't want the new visible clock (like me), we can switch it off and reclaim our battery life?

Also, when is the clock supposed to show up?
I agree; a setting for it would be nice.

As for when it shows up -- it shows up in the status bar. If you're reading PDF or ePub books, the status bar only shows up when you hit Menu; other formats, like TXT, Mobipocket and HTML, have it displayed all the time.

Actually, that would be another useful feature -- the option to hide the status bar for Mobipocket, etc, books, and get an extra line of screen space. Any chance of this?

-- J.P.
jpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 09:18 PM   #4
Acreo Aeneas
Kobo Aura
Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpt View Post
I agree; a setting for it would be nice.

As for when it shows up -- it shows up in the status bar. If you're reading PDF or ePub books, the status bar only shows up when you hit Menu; other formats, like TXT, Mobipocket and HTML, have it displayed all the time.

Actually, that would be another useful feature -- the option to hide the status bar for Mobipocket, etc, books, and get an extra line of screen space. Any chance of this?

-- J.P.
Ah, explains why I never saw the new "visible clock" feature. All the ebooks I read with the latest FW were ePUBs.

Out of curiosity, since this extra clock is running, is this possibly the cause of the battery drain problem?
Acreo Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 09:20 PM   #5
jpt
Enthusiast
jpt began at the beginning.

Device: OLPC; Nokia 770; White EZ Reader Pocket Pro; Bookeen Cybook Odyssey
Quote:
Ah, explains why I never saw the new "visible clock" feature. All the ebooks I read with the latest FW were ePUBs.
Yeah; I just use Mobipocket. It might not have as many font sizes as ePub, but the three ones it has are well-picked, and I can change the font face on the fly. (Also, there aren't annoying page numbers on the right side of the page.)

-- J.P.
jpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2010, 09:44 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:

Out of curiosity, since this extra clock is running, is this possibly the cause of the battery drain problem?
If you have it, press Menu while reading an EPUB, to see it. Return to, return
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 11:14 PM   #7
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
I thought the December firmware was the first that allowed us to have a visible clock?

Could the apparent excessive battery usage because caused by the increase in the number of people using Coolreader? It does take more time and processing to open a book and navigate the menus. I am currently on the latest firmware reading epubs and have not noticed at all an excessive battery drain (I will be moving to FB2 exclusively once I find an efficient way OUTSIDE of Calibre to create FB2 files under Linux). FB2 Rocks!!
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 11:38 PM   #8
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Here is the problem in a nutshell. The March and April firmware upgrades added a much-requested Visible Clock. There was no second battery for this clock and it runs off the main battery. Therefore, it significantly shortens the battery charge life.

I can't agree with this. I am running firmware from lbook with this clock, and I have no battery drain problems. If the problem coincides with your versions of firmware that have the clock, either they implemented it poorly, or else it's purely coincidence.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 11:50 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
I can't agree with this. I am running firmware from lbook with this clock, and I have no battery drain problems. If the problem coincides with your versions of firmware that have the clock, either they implemented it poorly, or else it's purely coincidence.
Is your clock Visible?
My Lbook FW has a clock, but it is not visible (like the Astak Dec FW) and I have no Battery problems.
I read EPUB 99.9% of the time.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 02:18 AM   #10
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
I agree with jusmee
I have both a Hanlin V5(PocketPRO) and a Hanlin V3( 6" EZReader) running the Lbook firmware and both have excellent battery life. The clock display comes from the RTC (Real Time Clock) that is built into the ARM processor chip, and that RTC always runs, whether or not it is being displayed, since it is an integral part of the operating system. The power required by the RTC is in the microwatt region, so it has essentially no effect on battery life. The RTC is an integral part of the low power sleep system so battery consumption would be much worse if there were no RTC. Battery discharge problems arise when the firmware does not properly enter sleep mode when there are no active processes. Sleep mode should normally be entered within one or two seconds after any keypress. The Lbook firmware for V3 and V5, and the OpenInkpot firmware for the V3, all have visible clock displays and excellent battery life, so blaming the clock display for excessive battery consumption is just a "red herring".
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 02:21 AM   #11
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Is your clock Visible?
My Lbook FW has a clock, but it is not visible (like the Astak Dec FW) and I have no Battery problems.
I read EPUB 99.9% of the time.
Makes no difference as it doesn't update except when you turn a page. Therefore, being visible uses zero power.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 02:25 AM   #12
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
I thought the December firmware was the first that allowed us to have a visible clock?

Could the apparent excessive battery usage because caused by the increase in the number of people using Coolreader?
Displaying the clock, or even the status bar, is an option in CoolReader. Either or both can be turned off in the menu selections.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:06 AM   #13
booknut
Zealot
booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: PW1 + PW2, NOOK HD
I only read fb2, use lbook firmware, and always have the clock on, and never had any battery drain problems up to firmware version 513 - all versions after that drained the battery...
booknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:18 AM   #14
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by booknut View Post
I only read fb2, use lbook firmware, and always have the clock on, and never had any battery drain problems up to firmware version 513 - all versions after that drained the battery...
Same here. I think that *maybe* Buggins was using some of the Chinese firmware to base CoolReader builds after 513 on. Since I was reading Russian via Google Translate I am not entirely sure what his references to "Chinese" meant. He has seen plenty of complaints on the Russian forum about battery and USB issues concerning builds after 513, so I am hoping to see his response to that any day now.
In any case, I am pretty sure that Buggins will respond more accurately and rapidly than Jinke will concerning the Astak firmware.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:21 AM   #15
SmartyPants
Zealot
SmartyPants began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by booknut View Post
yep, same here. NO battery drain on any Astak firmware, or on any Lbook firmware up to 13 May.
SmartyPants is offline   Reply With Quote