Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 11-15-2010, 08:24 AM   #1
RVnook
RVnook began at the beginning.

Device: NOOK First Edition
Sony eBooks/Reader Library in Linux

I run Linux on my home computer and recently bought a nook. Nook for PC runs fine under WINE, but I would also like to be able to at least consider eBooks from the Sony store. They require Sony Reader Library software be installed in order to download them.

I downloaded and installed the software, but it does not run. It opens and I get a white or sometimes a black rectangle on my screen with nothing in it. This all leads to several questions.

Has anyone successfully installed and run Sony Reader Library using WINE in Linux? If so, is there a particular version I need to find somewhere or something I need to make sure is installed? Assuming it cannot be installed or run, is there any other way to download eBooks from the Sony store (or even open them)? I'm guessing if I can get them on my computer I could sideload them onto my nook, or am I missing something there?

Barring all of that, how do I get rid of Sony Reader Library from my computer. That assumes it won't work, can't work, will never work. Thanks for the help.
RVnook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:12 PM   #2
Papi47
Zealot
Papi47 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Papi47 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Papi47 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Papi47 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Papi47 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Papi47 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Papi47 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Papi47 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Papi47 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Papi47 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Papi47 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle3, iPad
I have the same problem with the Sony Reader Library working in Wine. Nook and Kindle work fine. Any one have an idea.
Papi47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2011, 02:55 PM   #3
DSpider
Evangelist
DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2 2014
Easy. Using VirtualBox (PUEL not OSE, the one with USB support) with TinyXP installed. The whole install could be contained in a 2 GB .vdi file. It's how I deal with iTunes for my iPod touch. My EXT4 media partition is mounted as drive D:\ using VirtualBox's shared folders feature.

If you have a moral issue with the license of using TinyXP, you could also use nLite on a full version to trim down the "fat". You can then allocate 256 MB RAM to the virtual machine and it will run fine.

Since Microsoft is no longer selling/distributing Windows XP (like they did with 98 SE, Me, 2k), I guess it's ok to obtain it from less-than-reputable places. There's also the Student Edition of Windows XP, which is supposedly free - if you're a student. And there's also ReacOS (http://www.reactos.org), a work in progress which will also run fine in VirtualBox, though the software being ran on it may or may not.

Last edited by DSpider; 02-14-2011 at 02:59 PM.
DSpider is offline   Reply With Quote