Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-08-2017, 04:39 PM   #1
bogfrog
bogfrog began at the beginning.

Device: prs 505's, Kindles far too many K1 K2's K3's K4's K5's KPW1/2/3 DXG KV
It seems Amazon may have a problem

It could be limited to the UK, but it seems K4's (both silver and black) and K3's can no longer be deregistered on the device. K4 running 4.1.3 and K3 running 3.4.2 - I've not checked K2's but K5's running 5.3.7.3 are fine

waiting for the deregister process to time out results in a very unhelpful message suggesting to check you are in wifi range, restart the device and try again - same result.

deregistering on the website leaves the kindle thinking it's still registered, and the only way out appears to be a factory reset.

Amazon support are useless and apparently a technical support engineer will email me

anyone else seeing this ?

It appears to have started when amazon added the view device content functionality to their website under the manage my devices and content

Last edited by bogfrog; 02-08-2017 at 04:41 PM. Reason: additional info
bogfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 04:57 PM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
It may be coincidence, but there are a couple of threads regarding owners of older kindles having connectivity and registration problems lately:

Is my Kindle 2 International dead?

Kindle Dx Graphite with corrupted software, does not switch to "registered"
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2017, 05:03 PM   #3
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
It could also be the software wasn't updated last March and one needs to do that before attempting wifi.

Note: I need to find my laptop and update my newest k3.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 05:55 PM   #4
IFixKindles
Connoisseur
IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1 - repair many Kindle models
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
It could also be the software wasn't updated last March and one needs to do that before attempting wifi.
3.4.2 is the most recent software for a K3 and 4.1.3 is most recent on a K4, (K5 on Amazon's update page), so the problem isn't lack of updated software.

Last edited by IFixKindles; 02-08-2017 at 05:57 PM.
IFixKindles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 06:58 PM   #5
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
From one of the threads I linked above:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Actually, I can't deregister my perfectly legal K2 US right now. I get a "can't connect at this time" message (even though the device is syncing and downloading from my archive just fine).

Servers are DOWN, DOWN, DOWN, DOWN, DOWN (certificate found).

All updates (including the kindle services (cert) update are applied. Guess I'll try again another day.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2017, 07:04 PM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFixKindles View Post
3.4.2 is the most recent software for a K3 and 4.1.3 is most recent on a K4, (K5 on Amazon's update page), so the problem isn't lack of updated software.
So sorry, but Amazon did not do their TLS update that way.

Go to the product page for each device, get the package named:
Kindle Services Update
Install it.
It will not change the displayed firmware version number, only the compatibility with Amazon's servers.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 07:30 PM   #7
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFixKindles View Post
Note my new K3 is on 3.2.
So it is obvious it has neither the newest firmware or the service update.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 08:17 PM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
My K2US definitely has the latest software AND the Kindle Service update was performed when I got the email about it a while back. The device wouldn't de-register because it was "unable to connect". Syncing and downloading from my Archive worked fine.

Did a factory reset (my K2 is entirely stock) and now it can't register (same "unable to connect").

I don't use the device, so I don't really care if it never gets registered. I'm simply testing because others reported problems with older devices registering/deregistering. Something's up. Whether or not it's a temporary condition remains to be seen.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 10:36 PM   #9
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Can't you deregister in Amazon.com? Or is that not the point of your experiment?
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 02:28 AM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes. I could deregister on Amazon's website. But the device never got the message. it continued to believe it was registered. It took a factory reset to finally get the device unregistered. Now it won't reregister.

The point of the "experiment" is that people have older devices that are suddenly unable to (de)register.
Old 02-09-2017, 04:23 AM   #11
greentea
greentea began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Yes. I could deregister on Amazon's website. But the device never got the message. it continued to believe it was registered. It took a factory reset to finally get the device unregistered. Now it won't reregister.
Same here with Paperwhite 2 running 5.4.3.2 firmware. Only factory reset and update to latest firmware helped...
greentea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 01:04 PM   #12
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentea View Post
Same here with Paperwhite 2 running 5.4.3.2 firmware. Only factory reset and update to latest firmware helped...
5.4 is too old, from before Amazon updated their secure server protocols.

The 'factory reset' had nothing to do with it - that only erases things the user has added.

It was the install of a recent firmware version that fixed your problem.
Old 02-09-2017, 01:10 PM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
It was the install of a recent firmware version that fixed your problem.
I agree. So what's going to fix my fully-updated K2's problem?
Old 02-09-2017, 02:09 PM   #14
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
I agree. So what's going to fix my fully-updated K2's problem?
Amazon.
Has anyone reported the problem to Amazon?
Anything being said about the problem on the company forums?
Old 02-09-2017, 02:21 PM   #15
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Amazon.
Has anyone reported the problem to Amazon?
Anything being said about the problem on the company forums?
I don't frequent Amazon forums. At least one person with the same issue got the run around from Amazon CS about it. I suppose I could break down and call them. It's just so frustrating getting past the host of morons before you get to talk with someone who understands what you're trying to say. Maybe if I get bored enough in the next couple of day, I'll give it a shot.