Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-28-2013, 08:20 PM   #301
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Katsunami, just think of USE_ALT_FONTS not as a hack, but as a undocumented feature. That makes it sound less dirty. No matter now that it took a deep hack of eureka (thank you) to find it in the first place.

Why don't we have folder view as well on Kindles? Because Amazon doesn't want you to sideload non-Amazon books or use external library software (e.g. calibre), if it were up to them. That it is possible is a good thing. Adding features that depend on the use of a computer defeats the purpose of the Kindles to be perfectly capable of working stand-alone without ever connecting to a computer.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:59 PM   #302
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
As if I would trust Amazon to be in sole charge of all my books.... After hell freezes over. If there hadn't been any software such as Calibre, I'd not have a Kindle. But that's another discussion for another thread.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2013, 09:19 PM   #303
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It kind of is on topic. Amazon can afford to not include every feature there is. The features that they do have, they implement well. For what they stick into the Kindles stability, soft- and hardware wise it comes out at a very competitiv price for the customer. Companies that sell only an e-reader without content to back it up have a hard time competing. Even if you choose to get another brand, you still might end up buying ebooks from Amazon. That is all Amazon wants to sell their books, they additionally simply provide a high quality, affordable, and good looking ereader, so that you can enjoy their books.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:44 PM   #304
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
In addition to that, most users may end up messing up their readers if they tried new fonts, etc. It's easier to make it possible, but hide it, which ensures that only computer literate users even try it, than having to deal with unhappy customers who call CS because they can't see the line spacing selection any more.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:50 PM   #305
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
In addition to that, most users may end up messing up their readers if they tried new fonts, etc. It's easier to make it possible, but hide it, which ensures that only computer literate users even try it, than having to deal with unhappy customers who call CS because they can't see the line spacing selection any more.
True. The Font limit is 10 unless you jailbreak and remove the foreign fonts. Seriously though we don't need that many fonts to choose from.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2013, 11:53 PM   #306
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Here check it out, just made a screenshot. Only downside, it only comes in regular, so no bold. The italic the Kindle makes by itself.
How do you get the Kindle to make false bold and italics? When I installed a font with no bold it usually gives me Caecilia for the missing fonts. Is this a KF8 book?
Old 01-29-2013, 12:41 AM   #307
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
How do you get the Kindle to make false bold and italics? When I installed a font with no bold it usually gives me Caecilia for the missing fonts. Is this a KF8 book?
No it is not a KF8 book, but even on a KF8 book it does that for me - just tried in Lord of the Rings (KF8 untouched including DRM) and it uses the regular font for bold, and it slants it over for italics. I never seen it substitute to a default font. Not sure what would happen if I put part of the font-files in fonts folder - I usually put all files that came with font. In case of Seagram, the one file is the only one I put on PW.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:14 AM   #308
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

I finally found another nice Serif font. I am so picky, I use this one on Pocket Pro when I had it. I added some weight and it looks really nice on this Kindle. There are two versions It's called Gentium Basic & Gentium Book Basic. It's under the same license as Charis SIL so I think I can share if you like. PM me if you like to try it.

Tested on the KF8 and it looks fine as far as I can tell.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GenBasicSize4.png
Views:	410
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	100257   Click image for larger version

Name:	GenBookBasicSize4.png
Views:	379
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	100258   Click image for larger version

Name:	GenBasicSize5.png
Views:	358
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	100259   Click image for larger version

Name:	GenBookBasicSize5.png
Views:	338
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	100260  
Old 01-29-2013, 06:06 AM   #309
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
By the way: why is it such a big deal for Amazon to let us add new fonts? My very first e-Reader, the Cybook Gen3, could do this out of the box, as far as I can remember.
I think Amazon is suffering from "Apple syndrome" where the Kindle is concerned which I do find incredibly irritating. Without the good work of the devs on here, I don't think I would have bought a Kindle TBH.
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:34 AM   #310
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolina View Post
I think Amazon is suffering from "Apple syndrome" where the Kindle is concerned which I do find incredibly irritating. Without the good work of the devs on here, I don't think I would have bought a Kindle TBH.
I am glad Amazon is not beeing Apple, or I could not afford a Kindle.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:11 PM   #311
sneakyspider
Ereader Addicts Anonymous
sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (2)KO2, PW7thGen., KT2, iPadMini1
Quote:
I wouldn't worry about it. As the developers here said it's really hard to brick a PW.
My Kindle automatically updated itself, but the Kindle did not brick. I had to reinstall all of the hacks and the JBPatch, though.

I find that sometimes I actually, really, prefer reading on the K4 or K3. I just don't like the way fonts render on the PW. They're too heavy, or something. I don't suppose there's any (easy) way to change that?

Last edited by sneakyspider; 01-29-2013 at 04:31 PM.
sneakyspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:19 PM   #312
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
I finally found another nice Serif font. I am so picky, I use this one on Pocket Pro when I had it. I added some weight and it looks really nice on this Kindle. There are two versions It's called Gentium Basic & Gentium Book Basic. It's under the same license as Charis SIL so I think I can share if you like. PM me if you like to try it.

Tested on the KF8 and it looks fine as far as I can tell.
Thank you. Installed them both - the book one I prefer over the basic one. Wife likes them too, nice and thick, yet simple and easy to read. Plus they have serifs - so not so boring as the serif-less fonts.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:26 PM   #313
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
I've been testing some more fonts, such as the old standby's Garamond, Caslon, Minion Pro, Latin Modern (LaTeX default font) and Georgia. (I've got the first three because I own Photoshop CS5.1 it seems, as they are on my desktop, where CS5.1 is installed, and they're not on my notebook, where CS5.1 is not installed. Otherwise, the same programs are installed.)

To be honest, I find these fonts to be dreadful on the Kindle Paperwhite. I like all of them on paper, especially Latin Modern. I love that font for papers and reports, and one of the reasons is that it supports ligatures such as "ff", "ft", and "strange" letters, such as "ae". It has beautiful italics, IMHO. I own some books (one version of The Lord of the Rings, in particular) that uses this font and I just love it. On the Kindle Paperwhite, it *** *** ***. (Insert rant to your liking there.) It's practically unreadable.

The two fonts that did surprise me are Trebuchet MS and DejaVu Serif: they look quite nice, but they lack weight compared to Caecilia. They are too thin for my liking. This is a complaint I also often had (have) with hardbacks: many of the ones I own have thin fonts, which is not good for people with bad eyesight.

As I don't have any options to easily add some weight / thickness to fonts (and don't have any knowledge of font creation whatsoever), I'm back to Caecilia 4 again. For reading long texts, I don't really like non-serif fonts such as Futura, Helvetica or Verdana.

I'd like to find a nice flowing font some day, that looks really oldstyle; slanted a bit, but not so much that it is Italic, with thin and thick strokes in it's letters. I did find two that I liked, but they only had a "Regular" version, and they were too thin to use on the Kindle.

Last edited by Katsunami; 01-29-2013 at 09:29 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:39 PM   #314
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Thank you. Installed them both - the book one I prefer over the basic one. Wife likes them too, nice and thick, yet simple and easy to read. Plus they have serifs - so not so boring as the serif-less fonts.
I read with them last night and decided on the Book one as well. It's just so nicely size even at 6 it's not super large. If I can read with them in the dark at 5-3 light setting I know they are keepers.

These are the custom fonts I am currently using. All added weight, some scaled and some I had to created families for.
  1. Caecila
  2. Caecila Condensed
  3. Amasis (This is a new version I modded myself)
  4. Amasis Condensed
  5. Gentium Book Basic SIL
  6. Charis SIL
  7. Trebuchet
  8. Nokia Pure
  9. TheSans (Thesis Sans)
  10. Fontin (Another font I am testing)

Last edited by Blossom; 01-29-2013 at 09:47 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:44 PM   #315
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
I've been testing some more fonts, such as the old standby's Garamond, Caslon, Minion Pro, Latin Modern (LaTeX default font) and Georgia.
To be honest, I find these fonts to be dreadful on the Kindle Paperwhite.

The two fonts that did surprise me are Trebuchet MS and DejaVu Serif: they look quite nice, but they lack weight compared to Caecilia. They are too thin for my liking. This is a complaint I also often had (have) with hardbacks: many of the ones I own have thin fonts, which is not good for people with bad eyesight.

As I don't have any options to easily add some weight / thickness to fonts (and don't have any knowledge of font creation whatsoever), I'm back to Caecilia 4 again. For reading long texts, I don't really like non-serif fonts such as Futura, Helvetica or Verdana.
I agree with you on the fonts you mention. Even with added weight they just don't look good. I do love Trebuchet and have added weight to that one. It's from the Kindle Fire where I got my copy. I read with that or did till I got the PW now the KF just sits on a shelf.

Try Charis SIL posted here in this thread. It's really nice.