Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 09-29-2012, 04:17 AM   #1
Mosqueteir0
Mosqueteir0 began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge
some PDF files not opening

I keep running into pdf files that won't open, much less save to my EE. Trying to copy across the LAN I'm connected to doesn't work, whichever program I try to use crashes and copying fails. Using Docs to Go through Google Docs fails immediately to open but does not crash DTG. Most of the pdfs that won't open are version 1.6 according to bash command file but some v1.6 pdfs will open and one v1.4 failed. So far I haven't been able to figure out what else might be related about these PDFs or what might be causing it...

Has this happened to anyone else? Any insights?

much appreciated.

Last edited by Mosqueteir0; 09-29-2012 at 04:19 AM.
Mosqueteir0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:11 AM   #2
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Can you open them on your PC?

Are they DRM protected?

Do they have some special encryption that needs the latest Adobe reader to be able to read them?

All of the above I have encountered in PDF manuals in the past and I expect to see the problems in the future as well. In fact we have developed a set way of dealing with these problems and we now run any new PDF file through the process as a matter of routine.

I don't know what your problem is with trying to copy across a lan - we do it all the time because our PDF documents are stored on a NAS. The only thing that comes to mind is that they might be 'doctored' PDFs that have some payload that will infect windows based machines - we have seen those in the past although we have yet to see one that messes with the network.

If none of the above helps you could PM me a short one and we'll take a look at it and try and determine what the problem is.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2012, 07:00 PM   #3
Mosqueteir0

what is the process you run them through, I doubt they are protected more likely the latter, as I think they are just scanned copies of paper documents or books. Google Docs will open them too. My textbooks won't even open on google docs but WILL open on the EE, weird...I'll send you PM of one of the smaller ones.

Last edited by Mosqueteir0; 10-02-2012 at 07:10 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:03 AM   #4
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
If memory serves there was an issue in one os version where either long filenames or filenames with spaces or other characters would cause problems.
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:09 AM   #5
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosqueteir0 View Post
what is the process you run them through, I doubt they are protected more likely the latter, as I think they are just scanned copies of paper documents or books. Google Docs will open them too. My textbooks won't even open on google docs but WILL open on the EE, weird...I'll send you PM of one of the smaller ones.
First, as a downloaded file it opens without problems on the e-ink and LCD screens of my EE.

Looking at the beginning of the file it appears to be a standard PDF with no strange settings or ColorSpace - the usual problem with opening PDFs produced by an older version of distiller.

Quote:
%PDF-1.4
%ÔÒ¤Ë
1 0 obj
<<
/Type /Catalog
/Pages 2 0 R
/Metadata 34 0 R
>>
endobj
2 0 obj
<<
/Type /Pages
/Kids [ 5 0 R 10 0 R 14 0 R 18 0 R 22 0 R 26 0 R 30 0 R ]
/Count 7
>>
endobj
3 0 obj
<<
/ModDate (D:20040722074129-05'00')
/CreationDate (D:20040722074125-05'00')
/Producer (Adobe PDF Library 5.0)
/Creator (HP PDF Formatter version 1.0.0.309)
>>
endobj
5 0 obj
<<
/Type /Page
/MediaBox [ 0 0 612 841.67999 ]
/Parent 2 0 R
/Contents 8 0 R
/Resources << /XObject << /Im0 7 0 R >> /ProcSet [ /PDF /ImageC ] >>
>>
endobj
7 0 obj
<< /Type /XObject /Subtype /Image /Name /X /Width 850 /Height 1169 /BitsPerComponent 8
/ColorSpace /DeviceRGB /Filter /DCTDecode /Length 152661 >>
stream
Regarding our testing and checking of PDF files, we have a set of OBJECT REXX scripts (using OS/2) that check for problems with things like ColorSpace, missing %%, incorrect section endings and so on. This file passes without producing any warnings at all.

Now the question arises, how are you getting the PDF on to your EE? There could be a problem introduced when you download the file - what that could be I can't even guess because I don't know your procedure.

I have seen file corruption caused by network elements, usually home plug or similar units. I have had the odd case of conflicting WiFi - same channel and close proximity was setting up an interference pattern that would cause strange things to happen to files transferred. In this case it was intermittent because of usage patterns.

At the moment all I can do is throw out ideas because I can't reproduce the problem you have, at least with this PDF, sorry.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2012, 06:19 AM   #6
Mosqueteir0

That particular pdf I was trying to open from Google Docs through Docs ToGo, some pdfs will open and some won't. Same story with going through the WiFi LAN to my Desktop running Ubuntu using a folder with share permission. Some pdfs will load while others will force close library almost immediately. The ones that force close also refuse to be copied using ES file browser...

My WiFi is a Sierra Overdrive Pro mobile WiFi hotspot. Will try over another network soon.

UPDATE: After reading
Quote:
I have seen file corruption caused by network elements, usually home plug or similar units. I have had the odd case of conflicting WiFi - same channel and close proximity was setting up an interference pattern that would cause strange things to happen to files transferred. In this case it was intermittent because of usage patterns.
I realized I hadn't tried just using a USB stick, so far all pdfs have worked. Also tried putting one of the "nonworking" pdfs in the WiFi storage and opening from there worked too. Just Docs ToGo and ubuntu file sharing seem to have the problems...

Last edited by Mosqueteir0; 10-04-2012 at 06:49 AM.