Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-19-2014, 08:28 PM   #16
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I use the address of a London Hotel, use my Am Ex card to buy and I use my business email for the account. that is all I had to do and it works great.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 02:01 AM   #17
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I really need to sort out what it takes to set up an Amazon UK account.
Kobo India is easier to access and without having to set up another account. It's also releasd there on 22 May and costs (from memory) $5 to $6 as a pre order or much less if you wait till it's available and use a coupon.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2014, 02:06 AM   #18
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For thoae who enjoy Martin Walker, and I'm on that list, you may also enjoy Adrian Magson's French Police officer series set in Picardie in the 1960's. I think they're just as enjoyable.
Old 05-20-2014, 06:45 AM   #19
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

I think that the common thread between Donna Leon's Brunetti, Martin Walker's Bruno, Louise Penny's Gamache and Adrian Magson's Rocco is the humanity that these various authors endow on their characters.

The characters are people who express and live out that humanity in their deeds and actions; and for me they are always a satisfying read irrespective of the dramas contained within the plot.

Last edited by Lynx-lynx; 05-20-2014 at 07:19 PM. Reason: add the name 'Rocco'
Old 05-20-2014, 08:19 PM   #20
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
I think that the common thread between Donna Leon's Brunetti, Martin Walker's Bruno, Louise Penny's Gamache and Adrian Magson's Rocco is the humanity that these various authors endow on their characters.

The characters are people who express and live out that humanity in their deeds and actions; and for me they are always a satisfying read irrespective of the dramas contained within the plot.
I recently read The Resistance Man and as I was reading I kept thinking how I like reading about the relationships between Bruno and his friends, and even his dog. This could be the rare series where if the main character were to get married and have children, it would actually be interesting to read about him raising the kids.

I will have to look into the other authors you recommended. The only Magson I have read is his Harry Tate series which is more of an action/thriller series.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2014, 03:54 AM   #21
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

I got my Children of War yesterday (from Kobo India, well under AUD3) and I'm nearly half way through ..... What a great read!!!
Old 07-03-2015, 05:36 PM   #22
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
The Dying Season, number nine in the series was released today on Amazon UK. It is not due for a US eBook release until August 11, 2015. And it will be renamed The Patriarch. I picked mine up at Amazon UK and will start it after I finish my current read, Foreign Deceit by Jeff Carson.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 06:11 PM   #23
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I really can't justify a trip to the UK for this, as much as I would like to. This series just gets better and better.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 06:42 PM   #24
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Oh yeah, I'd been tracking it's release date, and as it's not discountable in AU/NZ, I'm the first to read it at my library (paper), and it's due next week.