Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-22-2011, 11:54 AM   #121
Daveoc64
Groupie
Daveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (LTE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Stanza no longer works on iOS 5. I can see a lot of apps no longer working on iOS 3. That's not unrealistic.
Amazon is specifically targeting iOS3 when they build their apps. They also presumably test it on iOS 3.0

Stanza was never designed for, targeted at or tested on iOS5 - that's why there's a problem with it.

Going to a new version of iOS will always be more complex then maintaining support for an older version of iOS. The only reason to drop support for an older version is if you absolutely require an API that is not present in the older version(s) of iOS.

This really isn't unusual. Many very popular applications require updates to continue functioning on newer iOS versions due to similar changes.

Last edited by Daveoc64; 10-22-2011 at 12:07 PM.
Daveoc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 03:40 PM   #122
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
How is the K2's 3G network capabilities more limited than the KK's 3G capabilities? This is the first I've heard of it. You can websurf on the K2's 3G network. The webkit browser on the KK is newer (and a little faster) than the K2's browser, but I've never found anything that can be done with the KK's browser over 3G that can't be done with the K2's browser over 3G.
Let me get this straight:

I ask about the Kindle 2G, a device with which I state I have no experience. The device hasn't warranted my research because it's two generations back and not worth acquiring at this point.

Someone who knows both devices answers me and says that, on the contrary, the capabilities of the the 3G are in fact greater and might be worthy of an upgrade where the 2G is not.

I then thank the person and reiterate what I understand to be their explanation to acknowledge that they had been heard.

Instead of continuing the discussion by disputing the information of the person who made the original statement, or even bothering to answer my question (possibly to say you don't agree that the 3G and 2G are different enough to warrant compatibility with one and not the other), you use my reiteration to suggest ignorance on my part, even though I began my question by stating I knew nothing about the Kindle 2G.

The only reason I can see for you to go after me rather than address Dave's response is that, in Dave's case, you don't have a history of creating pointless acrimony over ideological differences.

§ § § §

If any twelve-year-olds are reading this and they're tired of being blamed for the incivility of the internet, Mobile Read is a perfect argument against that stereotype. On Mobile Read, middle-aged and seventy-year-old men can be more vituperative than any twelve-year-old I've ever met.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2011, 04:10 PM   #123
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
Let me get this straight:

I ask about the Kindle 2G, a device with which I state I have no experience. The device hasn't warranted my research because it's two generations back and not worth acquiring at this point.

Someone who knows both devices answers me and says that, on the contrary, the capabilities of the the 3G are in fact greater and might be worthy of an upgrade where the 2G is not.

I then thank the person and reiterate what I understand to be their explanation to acknowledge that they had been heard.

Instead of continuing the discussion by disputing the information of the person who made the original statement, or even bothering to answer my question (possibly to say you don't agree that the 3G and 2G are different enough to warrant compatibility with one and not the other), you use my reiteration to suggest ignorance on my part, even though I began my question by stating I knew nothing about the Kindle 2G.

The only reason I can see for you to go after me rather than address Dave's response is that, in Dave's case, you don't have a history of creating pointless acrimony over ideological differences.

§ § § §

If any twelve-year-olds are reading this and they're tired of being blamed for the incivility of the internet, Mobile Read is a perfect argument against that stereotype. On Mobile Read, middle-aged and seventy-year-old men can be more vituperative than any twelve-year-old I've ever met.
I'm honestly sorry you took my post that way. That wasn't my intention. I was trying to determine what was actually being stated. Which was why I added that last disclaimer sentence in case it was just a misunderstanding over Wifi vs 3G.

I still don't understand.

The only reason I didn't "go after" Dave's response (not that I felt I was "going after" anybody) is because I didn't see anything in Dave's post that I didn't understand. I couldn't see a connection from Dave's post to your statement. That's all. So I questioned it... and kept checking back for a response.

I wasn't aware I had a "history of creating pointless acrimony over ideological differences," with you or anybody, but I guess perception is reality, so I sincerely apologize... to you and anybody else I may have inadvertently offended.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 07:52 PM   #124
Daveoc64
Groupie
Daveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmos

I think the problem was that "Prestidigitweeze" said:

"I've never used the K2, which is why I was unaware its 3G network capabilities were far more limited than the KK's, with its ability to handle Wifi and web surfing."

In response to my post about the Kindle Keyboard's WebKit Browser that is able to support everything that KF8 claims to support and more.

Some people (and with Amazon's marketing it's not surprising) equate 3G or Wi-Fi with browsing the web. I think the part in bold shows this misunderstanding which has resulted in the above... unpleasantness!

The significant takeaway is not that the Kindle Keyboard (3) and later models have improved 3G functionality - they don't really. The REAL improvement is in the web browser. It is much more fully featured and standards compliant. The fact that this browser can run on the Kindle Keyboard (and in reality, it can also run on the Kindle 2 with some hacks) shows that the Kindle Keyboard hardware is more than capable of handling the new KF8.

Last edited by Daveoc64; 10-22-2011 at 07:56 PM.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:05 PM   #125
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leep View Post
Being a suspicious type, my mind wanders to the recent 'personal document' changes. Do you suppose that we might have to pay Amazon to have our un-drm'd books from other sources converted to K8 format?

Personal documents (i.e. un-drm's books that folks are sending to their Kindles) have got to be a huge number flowing through Amazon's servers.

cheers
How do you know your Personal Documents are not already available in KF8 format? There are not any devices, or apps that support it, so there is no way to check. There is also no way to download a 'Personal Document' to your desktop. Also, with the exception of PDF documents without the 'convert' keyword, everything now goes through a 'conversion' process to add the magic bits that allow synching.

The way I expect it will work (if it does not already) is that PDs will generate both 'KF7' and 'KF8' content as part of the conversion process (much as Kindlegen2 does or will do). KF8 capable devices will get KF8 format, and everything else will get KF7.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2011, 10:21 PM   #126
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
KF7 doesn't exist. AZW is actually Mobipocket.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 01:36 PM   #127
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
mobi7, to be pedantic.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 03:08 PM   #128
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
Quote:
I'm honestly sorry you took my post that way. That wasn't my intention. I was trying to determine what was actually being stated. Which was why I added that last disclaimer sentence in case it was just a misunderstanding over Wifi vs 3G.

I still don't understand.

The only reason I didn't "go after" Dave's response (not that I felt I was "going after" anybody) is because I didn't see anything in Dave's post that I didn't understand. I couldn't see a connection from Dave's post to your statement. That's all. So I questioned it... and kept checking back for a response.

I wasn't aware I had a "history of creating pointless acrimony over ideological differences," with you or anybody, but I guess perception is reality, so I sincerely apologize... to you and anybody else I may have inadvertently offended.
DD, when ever I follow a thread on Mobileread, I am happy to see your posts. You are a voice of reason and good humor, and (much) more knowledgeable than the average bear. I saw no reason for anyone to take offense at your query.

Edit: Sorry, Dave. I meant Prestidigitweeze. I was too quick to comment

Last edited by montalex; 10-23-2011 at 09:42 PM. Reason: Goof
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 03:33 PM   #129
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Well, Mobipocket had no provision for embedded audio/video. That was added specifically for Kindle by Amazon.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 03:52 PM   #130
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
Quote:
Originally Posted by montalex View Post
DD, when ever I follow a thread on Mobileread, I am happy to see your posts. You are a voice of reason and good humor, and (much) more knowledgeable than the average bear. I saw no reason for Dave to take offense at your query.
Except when DD sent him a letter bomb.

That was uncalled for.
afa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 04:05 PM   #131
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by montalex View Post
I saw no reason for Dave to take offense at your query.
Quote:
Originally Posted by afa View Post
Except when DD sent him a letter bomb.

That was uncalled for.
It was terribly uncalled for—I agree.
Especially since it wasn't Daveoc64 that took offense with me... at least I don't think he did; I admit I'm still a little confused about what the hell happened.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 04:20 PM   #132
Daveoc64
Groupie

Would anyone on these forums send anybody a letter bomb?

Surely it'd be the E Ink equivalent? (a virus!?)
Old 10-23-2011, 05:31 PM   #133
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
What's a letter bomb? Tell, don't show, plx.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:44 PM   #134
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
Quote:
It was terribly uncalled for—I agree.
Especially since it wasn't Daveoc64 that took offense with me... at least I don't think he did; I admit I'm still a little confused about what the hell happened.
Sorry Daveoc64! I meant Prestidigitweeze.

Best to leave this thread...
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 03:10 AM   #135
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveoc64 View Post
Would anyone on these forums send anybody a letter bomb?

Surely it'd be the E Ink equivalent? (a virus!?)
Good point.

A Kindle bomb, then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
What's a letter bomb? Tell, don't show, plx.
Old-world tech. Don't worry about it...
afa is offline   Reply With Quote