Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 05-10-2011, 12:45 AM   #1
Stodder
Connoisseur
Stodder began at the beginning.

Device: ipad, kindle
Mobipocket Creator Publisher Edition -- Is Commercial Use Allowed?

Hi guys,

Does anyone know where I can find the Mobipocket Creator Publisher Edition? The link on the Mobi page takes you to the same link as the Home Edition.

The version I downloaded (presumably the Home Edition) has a EULA that states that it is meant for non-commercial use. I presume the Publisher Edition is meant for commercial use, so I'm trying to track that one down.

EDIT: Found the program, thanks to Strether. I still would like an opinion on whether Mobipocket can be used to create commercial products, regarding its EULA.

Any help would be great :-)!
Stodder

Last edited by Stodder; 05-10-2011 at 03:16 AM.
Stodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 12:53 AM   #2
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
My memory is that that download contains both versions and you just have to indicate which one you want to install when you open it.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2011, 01:23 AM   #3
Stodder
Connoisseur

Ah, okay, thanks. I've downloaded the version I want.

However, both versions share the same End User License Agreement. Am I actually allowed to use it to generate a commercial product?

Quoted EULA from the install window:

Quote:
Subject to your compliance with all of the terms and conditions of this Agreement, Mobipocket grants to you a non-commercial, non-exclusive, non-assignable, non-sublicensable and otherwise non-transferable license to download, install and use the Software on your desktop or laptop computer, PDA, smartphone, or other appropriate device for your personal use. All rights not expressly granted to you by the foregoing sentence are reserved by Mobipocket. Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, you may not copy, modify, distribute or reverse engineer, decompile or disassemble the Software, except that you may make one copy of the Software for back-up purposes. This license expressly excludes, without limitation, any resale, modification, or commercial use of the Software or any portion thereof and making any derivative works based upon or distributing or copying the Software, except as expressly permitted hereunder. Any unauthorized use terminates the permission or license granted by Mobipocket in this paragraph.
Am I misreading anything?
Old 05-17-2011, 08:57 PM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
You cannot sell the software but you can sell the book that results from the software.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:00 PM   #5
Stodder
Connoisseur

Thanks, DaleDe
Advert
Old 06-29-2011, 08:25 AM   #6
SEI Publications
SEI Publications began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I have installed the Publisher edition, but each time I launch the program, it launches the Home edition. I have uninstalled and reinstalled it several times just to be sure. Each time, I get the home edition. I am using Windows 7 and I used the install that's available here: http://www.mobipocket.com/en/Downloa...tion=Publisher. Any ideas as to how to get the Publisher edition installed?
SEI Publications is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 02:01 PM   #7
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEI Publications View Post
I have installed the Publisher edition, but each time I launch the program, it launches the Home edition. I have uninstalled and reinstalled it several times just to be sure. Each time, I get the home edition. I am using Windows 7 and I used the install that's available here: http://www.mobipocket.com/en/Downloa...tion=Publisher. Any ideas as to how to get the Publisher edition installed?
It's been several years since I installed, so this may be wrong. But, I thought they were both actually the same program.

Does the version you have installed have a "deploy" option? (world icon, or option in the "build" menu)? If so, have you entered your mobipocket account information? If so, you can use it to publish even if it says "home" edition.

If not, see if there's a way to enter your mobipocket account information in "setup" or "preferences" or something. Maybe having that information is what transforms it into the publisher version
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote