Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 04-06-2012, 12:52 PM   #376
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentinka View Post
According to PayPal I can do everything I want with JBC now. I decided to keep my JBC for a while for now just in case if Ectaco will decide to pay the shipping fee and get JBC back. Which would be pretty logical decision from Ectaco, I believe. What Ectaco is doing doesn't make any sense to me and doesn't follow any reasonable logic.

I guess I can also have fun while following Ectaco's firmware updates for JBC and observing if these updates are making any difference. This is pretty much all I can do with my JBC.
If you ever tire of it I will give you shipping for it in a heart beat. As a moderator and editor for our wiki I like to have test products.

Dale

Last edited by DaleDe; 04-06-2012 at 12:55 PM.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:13 PM   #377
ignacio ferrer
Banned
ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx M92
Quote:
ignacio ferrer,

"Definetly stuck with it" is a very right expression that describes my situation exactly how it is. Paypal did a great job. They were able to recover and refund me my money. So financially I am fine. But I still have JBC since Ectaco refused the delivery after I shipped my JBC to them following PayPal instruction. JBC just arrived back to our house yesterday. JBC is just like a parasite that sticked to our place. For PayPal the most important thing is that the buyer (myself in this case) ATTEMPTED the return. So Paypal closed the case and refunded me my money this week. I would be more than happy to ship my JBC to Ectaco again but this time Ectaco has to pay the shipping fee.
The part of my transaction with Ectaco was that I traded in my old reader (which doesn't worth more than $50) to Ectaco in order to pay less for JBC. I guess I can consider that I traded my old junk device for the new junk one (JBC).

Well, you have the best of two worlds now: the ereader and your money back - congratulations!
ignacio ferrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:31 PM   #378
Valentinka
Zealot
Valentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle DXG, Sony PRS-T1, M92, iPad 3, ex-JetBook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday13th View Post
on most of the pictures there is a big margin on the JBC and on the kindle the text is filling the complete display --> text is bigger --> color is more
It just shows that DXG has automatic page allignment feature and JBC doesn't. Nothing I can do about it. ProDigit mentioned somewhere earlier in this tread that this feature might be included with JBC's April's firmware update. All I can do I can retake pictures for you if automatic page allignment feature will become available on JBC.

Quote:
what i'm really intrested in is a comparison between the JBC and the Kindle DX like in post #327. but the JBC alone on that picture is nothing. the picture looks like it is 3am and there is only a 20W light burning in a big room.
I coudn't compare JBC and Kindle DX in my post # 327 since DXG doesn't have graphic calculator feature. Pictures from my post # 327 were taken in the evening time, about 10:00 PM with evening artificial light. There are some pictures of DXG and JBC in similar light conditions (post # 243).

Quote:
on the pictures that are good for comparison, the JBC doesn't look so bad for me
Then you just should go ahead and order JBC and experience it yourself. At least it will be your decision based on your conclusions after evaluating reasonable amount of different information. And you should feel comfortable with your decision. But once again - consider using PayPal as the payment option.
Valentinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:41 PM   #379
Valentinka
Zealot
Valentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
If you ever tire of it I will give you shipping for it in a heart beat. As a moderator and editor for our wiki I like to have test products.

Dale
Dale

Yes. I might consider this at some point. I was thinking about donating my JBC sometime anyway. And you can be the best person to donate my JBC since you could provide some professional feedback after testing it and maybe even help Ectaco's research people with some professional advices.
Old 04-06-2012, 05:05 PM   #380
mod186k1
Addict
mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad, PRS-T3, Kobo GLO HD, Paperwhite 2, PB Ultra, Ony Boox Max
Quote:
About calling JBC junked. I have it for almost a month by now. All I can tell so far is that nobody in our family was able to use it for serious, enjoyable reading or studying since it causes pretty severe eye strain for all of us in most of light conditions. Not even to mention how JBC displays the colors.
ok, with this line of talking we will go nowhere. So I return to my Jetbook color to enjoying in reading a pretty manga before go to sleep (it is 11.00 pm) and I whish you will have a happy Easter

AM
mod186k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 05:22 PM   #381
Valentinka
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mod186k1 View Post
I whish you will have a happy Easter
mod186k1,

Thanks! I wish you will have a happy Easter, too!
Old 04-06-2012, 06:17 PM   #382
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
May I also suggest something I've come to notice on EVERY e-ink screen I've come across, that will nullify any pictures taken from the device?

It seems that when loading a page, after a while (and especially when leaving the reader in full sunlight) the white background becomes more gray-ish, and the black text becomes more grayish too.
This could potentially give many pictures of people who just don't like the device and want to criticize the product.

For instance,it is possible to load a page on the JBC, keep it opened for a few hours in sunlight, and then open that same page on another JBC and take a screen shot of both.
If you'd for instance do this with a kindle VS JBC, one could exaggerate the difference fairly easily,making one of the two devices look really bad.
But as soon as you refresh the page, the background will become a lot lighter.

I don't know what the reason is, or why, but especially my Sony PRS505 had that, only after a few minutes of being in the sun, the background started to rasterize (small blocks of darker color appeared, making the background look really grey, reducing the overall contrast). On my Astak EZ Reader Pro, I see no rasterization, but the background does become evenly grey.

Having said this, I think we need to take most pictures with a grain of salt. Video's showing a page as it's being refreshed (and hopefully unedited video too) give a much more precise view of the difference between both device's contrasts.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:29 AM   #383
Friday13th
Enthusiast
Friday13th began at the beginning.

Quote:
Dale

Yes. I might consider this at some point. I was thinking about donating my JBC sometime anyway. And you can be the best person to donate my JBC since you could provide some professional feedback after testing it and maybe even help Ectaco's research people with some professional advices.
i'm not an american and i know your law is kind of strange but my mind says me that this cannot be like you think it is. do you think ectaco is giving some devices away for free or do you think that ectaco will not try to get either money or hardware back?
in your position i wouldnt use the device anymore and would wait at least couple of month because i dont think the story ends like this.
in germany it would be the same with paypal. paypal would give me my money back and i would have both, money and hardware. and maybe paypal would say i can do whatever i like but paypal is not the law and they can say whatever they like. the fact that paypal gave you the money back doesnt mean that you have a right to the money, it only mean that paypal made this decision and it means that any court could made a complete different decition.
Friday13th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:33 AM   #384
Valentinka
Zealot

Quote:
in your position i wouldnt use the device anymore
It is not possible for our family to use JBC anyway... Our eyes are more important to us.

Quote:
in your position i ... would wait at least couple of month because i dont think the story ends like this.
This is exactly what I am doing. I am waiting and I will be more than happy to ship JBC to Ectaco again if Ectaco pays the shipping fee this time. I am not enjoying at all keeping this junk piece of electronics. That's what I meant when I said earlier that JBC sticked to our place like a parasite. We don't want JBC but we can't get rid of it at least for next couple months.

Last edited by Valentinka; 04-07-2012 at 09:43 AM.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:10 PM   #385
mod186k1
Addict
mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Valentinka,
I found this on internet:
http://goodereader.com/blog/electron...e-ink-display/

It could be interesting for your environment illumination. Probably it will be mounted on future Kindle.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:06 AM   #386
Valentinka
Zealot

Quote:
Valentinka,
I found this on internet:
http://goodereader.com/blog/electron...e-ink-display/

It could be interesting for your environment illumination. Probably it will be mounted on future Kindle.
mod186k1,

Sounds very promising and interesting but a little difficult to imagine how it will look in practice. Just difficult for me to imagine the light build into eink screen. I guess this is just the limitation of my imagination.
BTW, I have a light (this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i01_details) that I am successfully using while reading (paper books, Kindle DXG, Sony T1) outdoor when it is completely dark. I found my eyes to feel very comfortable with it even in completely dark environment.

Last edited by Valentinka; 04-08-2012 at 10:14 AM.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:41 AM   #387
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
Quote:
i'm not an american and i know your law is kind of strange but my mind says me that this cannot be like you think it is. do you think ectaco is giving some devices away for free or do you think that ectaco will not try to get either money or hardware back?
in your position i wouldnt use the device anymore and would wait at least couple of month because i dont think the story ends like this.
in germany it would be the same with paypal. paypal would give me my money back and i would have both, money and hardware. and maybe paypal would say i can do whatever i like but paypal is not the law and they can say whatever they like. the fact that paypal gave you the money back doesnt mean that you have a right to the money, it only mean that paypal made this decision and it means that any court could made a complete different decition.
I once had a dispute with an ebayer
Paypal solved the issue, they refunded me the money but they asked me to ship the item to their office.
I am surprised they did not do it with Valentinka
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:55 AM   #388
mod186k1
Addict

It seems they are too busy to concern to recover a single unit (???)
Are the business with the schools too resource-intensitive for their actually structure?
Old 04-11-2012, 12:25 PM   #389
ignacio ferrer
Banned
ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It seems they are too busy to concern to recover a single unit (???)
Are the business with the schools too resource-intensitive for their actually structure?
I think they don't want to create a precedence. They think their product is ok, and in my opinion the OP did not prove otherwise. She seems to dislike the product, mainly the display - for rather idiosyncratic reasons.
Ectaco is probably fighting it out with PayPal ...
ignacio ferrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:30 PM   #390
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by PF4Mobile View Post
I once had a dispute with an ebayer
Paypal solved the issue, they refunded me the money but they asked me to ship the item to their office.
I am surprised they did not do it with Valentinka
That would be illegal! They are breaching the law!
They are only financial mediators.
Perhaps a person in Paypal wanted your toy, and wanted it for free!

Very fishy behavior!
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote