Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-20-2010, 11:10 AM   #16
NavyDad6
Reading is FUNdamental
NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2
Thanks, just ordered the Matte finish Carbon skin with the 25% off code.
NavyDad6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:12 PM   #17
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyDad6 View Post
Thanks, just ordered the Matte finish Carbon skin with the 25% off code.
You're welcome. They have so many great designs.

BTW.... one can design their own skin as they have templates available upon request.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2010, 12:39 PM   #18
elmoglick
Groupie
elmoglick doesn't litterelmoglick doesn't litterelmoglick doesn't litter

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX, Kindle DXG
Woah, thanks Skydog. Sure glad I waited before clicking Checkout...
elmoglick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 07:22 PM   #19
dwallbaum
Zealot
dwallbaum has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle2
Well, don't want to rain on any Kindle parades, but I was viewing the same page of the same book on my K2 and the Nook, and the Nook had both a lighter background, darker type and a more refined font.

It did NOT have justification options (go figure) but the presentation, side by side - the Nook had the advantage.

Don
dwallbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 06:47 AM   #20
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
Quote:
the Nook had both a lighter background, darker type and a more refined font.
How old is your Kindle? Over on the Amazon Kindle forum I keep reading about how the Kindles shipped in late 2009 and after have lighter screens and darker text than the batches from early 2009. I have an "old" one, and I really liked the Georgia font hack that's floating around.

My Nook does have a nice screen and the Amasis font is pretty, but the touch screen user interface is a hot mess. You should try the Alex when Borders starts stocking them, and see how much cleaner and easier the touchscreen on that is to use.
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2010, 12:19 PM   #21
laurie_lu
Connoisseur
laurie_lu doesn't litterlaurie_lu doesn't litterlaurie_lu doesn't litter

Device: none
I just received my Decalgirl "Woodgrain Black" skin for my K2. However I don't see any woodgrain pattern in the skin. It just looks like a solid flat black. I did order the matte finish. Is it possible that some fine detail is lost when the matte finish is chosen? Does anyone else have this particular skin in the matte finish?
laurie_lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 07:17 PM   #22
dwallbaum
Zealot
dwallbaum has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NNolan View Post
How old is your Kindle? Over on the Amazon Kindle forum I keep reading about how the Kindles shipped in late 2009 and after have lighter screens and darker text than the batches from early 2009. I have an "old" one, and I really liked the Georgia font hack that's floating around.
Mine is just over a year old, got it May 2009.
dwallbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 08:41 PM   #23
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
Quote:
Mine is just over a year old, got it May 2009.
That's fairly old, then. The International versions that started shipping late last year are supposed to have the lighter screens. The next time my sister comes to visit I'll have to compare my Kindle 2 to her Kindle 2i. There's definitely a difference between my Alex and my K2, and there's a whole year of screen manufacturing between them.
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 05:29 AM   #24
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
The screen contrast is definitely better on the international version. The text seems somewhat darker and the background is a little bit lighter. I've confirmed this by comparing the screen to my friend's K2.
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote