Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-23-2014, 01:09 AM   #46
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Recent thick books I've enjoyed include The Luminaries by Eleanor Catton and Great North Road by Peter F. Hamilton. Two rather different books but both certainly qualify length-wise.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 03:39 AM   #47
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Thanks Yayyap. It may take me some time to get to these books, but read them I will, definitely.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2014, 01:38 PM   #48
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post
If any version of it is over 500 pages, then it counts. I'm curious about your choices.
Unbroken is a very interesting and very well written book. It's about part of WWII that little is known and should be known.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 02:04 PM   #49
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
And will be a motion picture later this year.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...6524F66B23CF97
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 02:06 PM   #50
bshar489
Addict
bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If you want an example of a REALLY good Victorian novel, try "King Solomon's Mines" by Sir Henry Rider Haggard. One of the best adventure stories ever written, to my mind.
I heartily second this. I had something of the same prejudice about Victorian novels [mostly unfounded] but I really enjoyed this. Enough so that I read every Alan Quartermain book I could find. He's the main character, by the way. I highly recommend it

Bergette
bshar489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2014, 02:12 PM   #51
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshar489 View Post
I heartily second this. I had something of the same prejudice about Victorian novels [mostly unfounded] but I really enjoyed this. Enough so that I read every Alan Quartermain book I could find. He's the main character, by the way. I highly recommend it

Bergette
Some of thr attitudes back then and portrayed in the writing was really a turn off.
Old 08-23-2014, 07:00 PM   #52
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post

A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving (637 pgs.)

I'll second this.

Also, The Cider House Rules by John Irving.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:12 PM   #53
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I've got a set of three books that are very good. It is the Century Trilogy by Ken Follett.

1. Fall of Giants (960 pages)
2. Winter of the World (928 pages)
3. Edge of Eternity (1120 pages)

The third book is due out in September sometime. These are big books.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:47 AM   #54
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Some of thr attitudes back then and portrayed in the writing was really a turn off.
<shrug> If you avoid novels because their social attitudes differ from current societal norms, you're cutting yourself off from an awful lot of extremely good books. As L.P. Harley's novel said, "The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there."

Last edited by HarryT; 08-24-2014 at 04:51 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 04:56 AM   #55
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
<shrug> If you avoid novels because their social attitudes differ from current societal norms, you're cutting yourself off from an awful lot of extremely good books. As L.P. Harley's novel said, "The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there."
That's Hartley.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 05:24 AM   #56
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I agree wholeheartedly with you. And I don't consider it my loss for not getting past these issues.
Old 08-24-2014, 05:27 AM   #57
Luffy
Wizard

Quote:
I've got a set of three books that are very good. It is the Century Trilogy by Ken Follett.

1. Fall of Giants (960 pages)
2. Winter of the World (928 pages)
3. Edge of Eternity (1120 pages)

The third book is due out in September sometime. These are big books.
Won't you believe it, I'm yet to read a book by Ken Follet. Fall Of Giants might be a BoTM at a group in Goodreads, so there you are.
Old 08-24-2014, 05:28 AM   #58
Luffy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I'll second this.

Also, The Cider House Rules by John Irving.
I'm wary of Classics from 5 decades ago, but I'll take this rec under advisement.
Old 08-24-2014, 05:29 AM   #59
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Won't you believe it, I'm yet to read a book by Ken Follet. Fall Of Giants might be a BoTM at a group in Goodreads, so there you are.
If you want to read one of Follett's books, I'd suggest "The Pillars of the Earth". An excellent read.
Old 08-24-2014, 05:48 AM   #60
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
I agree wholeheartedly with you. And I don't consider it my loss for not getting past these issues.
As I say, you're missing out on some great books if you decide that you wouldn't read, say, "Tom Sawyer", because it's "racist" by modern standards. I think it is your loss. You are of course welcome to disagree .