Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-22-2010, 10:27 AM   #1
NickC42
NickC42 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350
Memory

Hi all

I've just got a new Sony PRS-350 for my birthday, and absolutely love the screen and size. I have been using a PRS-600 for a month or so, and it's like night and day.

However I have a question about the memory. The 350 was advertised as having 2Gb memory. Having just turned mine on and looked at the about it shows Internal memory as 1.484GB of 1.494GB. Where'd they other 0.5GB go? I understand that you may lose 10% once formatted, but 25% seems a bit steep. Is mt device faulty? What do others show?

Cheers

Nick
NickC42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:31 AM   #2
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
How about the partition for the computer installation software, the actual operating system and associated files, the sample files provided etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickC42 View Post
Hi all

I've just got a new Sony PRS-350 for my birthday, and absolutely love the screen and size. I have been using a PRS-600 for a month or so, and it's like night and day.

However I have a question about the memory. The 350 was advertised as having 2Gb memory. Having just turned mine on and looked at the about it shows Internal memory as 1.484GB of 1.494GB. Where'd they other 0.5GB go? I understand that you may lose 10% once formatted, but 25% seems a bit steep. Is mt device faulty? What do others show?

Cheers

Nick
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2010, 10:46 AM   #3
NickC42

That is a partition of 10Mb. Still got 490Mb missing.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:05 AM   #4
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
I suspect the Operating System takes up a good chunk of that 490MB.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 11:24 AM   #5
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
The manual says:
Quote:
User available capacity
Approx. 1.4 GB after initial setting
Depending on size of pre-loaded excerpts, available memory
capacity may vary.
The OS partitions indeed take up around 400MB. The dictionaries are 200MB and preloaded files (manual, samples) are 64MB.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2010, 11:54 AM   #6
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
As with all computer memory there is always approximatly 10 to 20% reduction for administrative tasks such as the FAT and the OS, but 500MB geeze that's kind of big, perhaps Sony's OS is real big.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 12:49 PM   #7
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Was the available memory similiar on the 2Gb Kindle2?
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 12:50 PM   #8
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
No that's only one of the things I listed, it's the software installer... the rest is as I said and listed in more detail by Igorsk...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickC42 View Post
That is a partition of 10Mb. Still got 490Mb missing.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:42 AM   #9
NickC42

Aha - I hadn't thought about the dictionaries. I also hadn't got that far in the manual. RTFM as usual.

Thanks for all the responses.

Cheers

Nick

Tags
memory