Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-22-2007, 05:07 PM   #226
cdmgaultier
cdmgaultier began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 500
Sony Reader

Hi everybody, I just bought the Sony Reader (on ebay as I am in England). So far, I find it amazing. I have read many messages on this forum but I am still very confused! Sorry!!! Other than on this website, where can I download (recent) ebooks suitable for the Sony reader and/or how can I re-format files? I have downloaded books from ebooks.com but they are not compatible. Could someone please give me some advice.
Many Thanks.
cdmgaultier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 05:14 PM   #227
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Just today we learned that Fictionwise has added LRF as part of their "multiformat" set. I should say "is adding" as they're still working on it. So that's a good place to try.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 08:00 AM   #228
mosteo
Enthusiast
mosteo began at the beginning.

Device: PRS500 / N-Gage QD
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluelight View Post
hey fellow inter-ereader buyers. I have a question, do you register your readers? O.o
I have not registered it. I don't plan to buy any book from CONNECT (or from any store with DRM, for that matter). With PG I have more than enough for now...
mosteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 08:06 AM   #229
grimo1re
Geekette
grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony Reader PRS500, PocketBook 360
Oh god yes! I got credits for books in exchange for my details so registered and told them a porkie about living in the US
grimo1re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 10:09 AM   #230
sianon
Addict
sianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony 500, Bebook, Kindle, Eco reader Drs and soon the Archos 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
"Leaping Gnome" very kindly offers to buy Connect Gift Certificates for people outside the US - just send him a private message and he'll arrange it for you.

As Nat says, to register, just tell "Connect" that you are in the US. It doesn't ask you for an address, or anything like that.
Harry, I tried telling the software I live in the US, it did not work as it wants and an address and post code, basically it will only accept US credit cards

Karen

Last edited by sianon; 08-23-2007 at 10:25 AM.
sianon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 10:43 AM   #231
sianon
Addict
sianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enough

I have just read through a lot of this thread and see that there is some level of concern in regard to the policy of B&video as to scanning and sending your credit card details. I have been a customer of B&H for the last three years, regularly making large purchases of photographic gear (I also bought my Sony there). I have never yet had any issues in regard to this store who have very honest and helpful service. I am in Australia and generally receive any product within five days, sometimes less.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:13 AM   #232
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sianon View Post
Harry, I tried telling the software I live in the US, it did not work as it wants and an address and post code, basically it will only accept US credit cards

Karen
Yes, that's correct - it will only accept US credit cards. You do not have to enter any address or credit card details simply to register your Reader, however. Simply check the "I live in the USA" box.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 05:43 PM   #233
gingercat
Connoisseur
gingercat began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iliad
Quote:
Yes, that's correct - it will only accept US credit cards. You do not have to enter any address or credit card details simply to register your Reader, however. Simply check the "I live in the USA" box.
that's interesting - so when the free credit runs out we're hostory then. OK I can understand they're trying to protext their puiblishers but not accepting payment certainly will limit their sales.

An update - it appears the site will accept non US credit cards but what it wont accept is a user's address outside the US. so ..... we eneterd our correct address but includede a US state and US as the country - works fine

Last edited by gingercat; 08-23-2007 at 07:57 PM. Reason: An Update
gingercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 08:44 PM   #234
itry
itry began at the beginning.

Device: HP Ipaq
Question Sony PRS 500 shipped to Australia

Hi
I could not wait for the Booken 3G so purchased a PRS 500. Great device but I cannot register it as I must be resident in the US to do so. How have others registered theirs?
Marg
itry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 08:55 PM   #235
itry
itry began at the beginning.

Device: HP Ipaq
apology

Quote:
Originally Posted by itry View Post
Hi
I could not wait for the Booken 3G so purchased a PRS 500. Great device but I cannot register it as I must be resident in the US to do so. How have others registered theirs?
Marg
Sorry. I read the wrong end of this thread. I can see I am not alone
itry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 10:50 PM   #236
gingercat
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by itry View Post
Sorry. I read the wrong end of this thread. I can see I am not alone
so did u end up getting it registered ok?
Old 08-24-2007, 03:12 AM   #237
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingercat View Post
that's interesting - so when the free credit runs out we're hostory then.
No - please read the earlier messages in the thread . You can use Connect Gift Certificates which "Leaping Gnome" will buy for you if you pay him for them via PayPal.

Quote:
An update - it appears the site will accept non US credit cards but what it wont accept is a user's address outside the US. so ..... we eneterd our correct address but includede a US state and US as the country - works fine
Have you tried to actually buy anything? My understanding is that the site will reject your credit card if it doesn't have a US billing address.

Note that there's a huge range of material in Sony format now available from Fictionwise, so you do have choices other than Connect.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 07:55 AM   #238
sianon
Addict

Quote:
Note that there's a huge range of material in Sony format now available from Fictionwise, so you do have choices other than Connect.
MMM there is through the multi format, previously this is how I got content for the SONY. I downloaded books in Microsoft reader and then converted them to a suitable format. Although the new availability of LRF does make it a lot easier.
However new content as in new release titles are not available as there is no DRM to the multi format titles.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:22 PM   #239
gingercat
Connoisseur

Quote:
Have you tried to actually buy anything? My understanding is that the site will reject your credit card if it doesn't have a US billing address.
Yes we deliberately overspent the $50 credit the site gave us so it would be forced to use some credit from the credit card and it worked no problem
Old 08-31-2007, 07:42 AM   #240
KEN-ID
KEN-ID began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500, iRex iLiad, Apple iPhone
I used my non-US credit card

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingercat View Post
Yes we deliberately overspent the $50 credit the site gave us so it would be forced to use some credit from the credit card and it worked no problem
I went to the connect store to get the maximum out of my free promotion offer and download some DRM-ed books for free (yes, the august 31th deadline).

I decided as an experiment to try out your method also, and I did manage to buy a DRM-ed ebook for my Sony reader with a non-US credit card.

So, I know now that I can still buy ebooks from the connect store; I have to admit I don't like this DRM thing, and will try to avoid it as much as possible. Anyway, it is good to know that I can still buy e-books from the connect store.
KEN-ID is offline   Reply With Quote