Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 12-21-2009, 04:11 AM   #1
Kathee
Kathee began at the beginning.

Device: none
Smile Rookie

Hi all,
I'm actually one of those old-fashioned "book" people, but I'm trying to discover all the other options. The thing is, I read so much that I'm running out of room! And I have an overseas trip planned in a few months' time, so some sort of portable reading device could be far more convenient than carrying an extra bag of books! What do others think? And do you have any suggestions?
I'm enjoying reading the postings here.

Kathee
Kathee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 07:43 AM   #2
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
Hi Kathee and welcome to MobileRead.
Many books can certainly be stored in an e-reader. I think it would be ideal to use one instead of paper books when going on holiday (or any other time actually). They are easy to use and the e-ink readers are quite gentle on the eyes. There are backlit devices also. It depends on what you prefer/want to use it for. There are lots of helpful folks around here that will provide you with lots of information and answer your questions. Then you will be able to make your own decision on what is best for you. Good luck and it's great that you have decided to find out more about e-reading.
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2009, 08:41 AM   #3
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Welcome to MR Kathee! There are many choices and while all books are not available in ebook format many are and more all the time. If you are interested in classics many of them are available from Google Books or feedbooks etc.

Check out the Wiki for information on the devices as well as the stores that sell/offer ebooks.

Enjoy!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 09:12 AM   #4
Counter
Connoisseur
Counter began at the beginning.

Device: EzReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathee View Post
Hi all,
I'm actually one of those old-fashioned "book" people, but I'm trying to discover all the other options. The thing is, I read so much that I'm running out of room! And I have an overseas trip planned in a few months' time, so some sort of portable reading device could be far more convenient than carrying an extra bag of books! What do others think? And do you have any suggestions?
I'm enjoying reading the postings here.

Kathee
Of course I would suggest the Astak 6" EzReader. I have the latest firmware available from the manufacture (not astak) and it is outstanding.

The screen is so good it looks fake LOL. The battery is still on full after 4 days which is awesome. I did a small review on it in the Astak forum so please read it.

With what ever you end up with, Enjoy it!

Mark
Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:10 AM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, Kathee.

We all have our favorite devices, so of course we'll all vote for them!

Mine is the Kindle.....one huge advantage is the 30 day no questions asked return policy. You can load it with books, play with it, and see if it suits you. If not, just pay return shipping........priority in the states usually less than $10. Here's a link:

http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Readi...sa_menu_kdp2i3

Right now you can get a refurbished K for $219....full warranty and return policy, and you can't tell the difference:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...on=refurbished

PS......I have over 600 books on my kindle right now.....and Calibre helps keep the total of over 900 well organized....Enjoy.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2009, 12:42 PM   #6
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Kathee and welcome to MobileRead. I got an eBook reader (Sony 505) for the same reasons; books taking up too much space. And I have never been sorry. I am hooked on my Sony. My wife and I are off on vacation in a couple of days and I have a ton of books on my reader...it is ideal for travel.

Last edited by MickeyC; 12-21-2009 at 07:07 PM.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 05:32 PM   #7
Kathee

Thanks for all these useful comments. I've still got lost of researchto do, of ourse, and I don't think I'll ever be weaned from my love of the book, but I'm beginning to see that ebook readers would be perfect for travelling - I assume they can be used in flight? Not like mobile phones, which you're supposed to turn off while flying! Some of the lesser-known brands are harder to find her in Australia but I'll keep researching!
Old 12-22-2009, 01:50 AM   #8
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Hi Kathee

Welcome to MR...

I just got a new reader (Hanvon N516) and it came pre-loaded with over 2,100 books!

I used to read on my Palm Zire72, but the battery life was only 5 hours, so it was useless on long trips (from Australia to Denmark). My new one has 8,000 pageturns in battery life...
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 07:18 AM   #9
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post

I used to read on my Palm Zire72, but the battery life was only 5 hours, so it was useless on long trips (from Australia to Denmark). My new one has 8,000 pageturns in battery life...
I had the same gripe with my iPaq plus the light shining directly into your eyes got old.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 04:33 AM   #10
Kathee

Hi again, folks, and I hope you had a safe and peaceful Christmas.

I'm still researching as to the best kind of ebook reader to buy. It's taking a lot longer than I thought it would! I hadn't realised there were so many available. A friend is going to lend me her Kindle, so I'll be able to play around. I think hers is the latest model.

One question - if I buy, say, a Kindle, am I then limited to books from Amazon? By the same token, if I buy another brand of ebook reader, am I limited to booked from their company?

Thanks and have a great 2010.
Old 12-28-2009, 05:57 AM   #11
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathee View Post
Hi again, folks, and I hope you had a safe and peaceful Christmas.

I'm still researching as to the best kind of ebook reader to buy. It's taking a lot longer than I thought it would! I hadn't realised there were so many available. A friend is going to lend me her Kindle, so I'll be able to play around. I think hers is the latest model.

One question - if I buy, say, a Kindle, am I then limited to books from Amazon? By the same token, if I buy another brand of ebook reader, am I limited to booked from their company?

Thanks and have a great 2010.

That is one of the biggest issues and glad you are looking into it before purchasing. Basically Amazon/Kindle wants to lock you in to their system and to be fair that was the case with Sony (but has changed) and is the the case a bit with Barnes&Noble/nook. Here's the reason - DRM! Amazon user the mobi format but renames it azm and applies DRM. Sony used to use the BBeB format but has moved to the emerging industry standard epub format and applies Adobe Digital Editions DRM (as do numerous other bookstores and libraries). Barnes&Noble also sell epub format (along with eReader format) use Adobe DRM -- but it's a new version that currently only they use and they also DRM their eReader format. The mobi format seems to be decreasing in availability (Amazon owns the format) and epbub seems to be gaining.

Now you are probably even more confused. It's a mess out there, but my research lead me to purchase a Sony Reader and subsequently a Kindle2 -- mostly in order to have access to the Amazon bookstore. I almost always strip the DRM off the books I buy so I can convert between readers and avoid those DRM's formats that are uncracked (tpz from some Amazon titles for example).

Oh and since you are in Australia geographic restriction come into play as well as to what books you can purchase from what stores.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
convenience, overseas trip